Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Fire Stick, Virgin Media Player

• 23-04-2021 11:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭

Virgin media Player has arrived on the Fire Stick.
    TG4 player is already there
    So just waiting for RTE

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Think it’s absolutely bonkers that Amazon still don’t officially support this device in the Irish market - quite clearly there’s a massive grey import market if Irish broadcasters are hopping on board.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭FRIENDO

icdg wrote: »
    Think it’s absolutely bonkers that Amazon still don’t officially support this device in the Irish market - quite clearly there’s a massive grey import market if Irish broadcasters are hopping on board.

I got it online from Curry's Ireland

Curry’s selling it doesn’t mean anything on that front. Maplin sell (or have in the past sold) Freesat receivers in Ireland even though they’re not authorised for sale here. Amazon have no control over what Curry’s do.

Nothing illegal or against t&cs in either case by the way about it and I’m not speaking in my mod role about it - just that Amazon don’t want to sell them here for their own reasons. I’m only pointing out that there is an obvious market for the device here and there doesn’t seem to be any good reason for Amazon not to sell them officially here. Instead Amazon’s only concession is to sell the never discounted, overpriced and underfeatured “Fire TV Basic Edition” - if you can even get it, since it seems to be permanently sold out.

Curry’s selling it doesn’t mean anything on that front. Maplin sell (or have in the past sold) Freesat receivers in Ireland even though they’re not authorised for sale here. Amazon have no control over what Curry’s do.

Nothing illegal or against t&cs in either case by the way about it and I’m not speaking in my mod role about it - just that Amazon don’t want to sell them here for their own reasons. I’m only pointing out that there is an obvious market for the device here and there doesn’t seem to be any good reason for Amazon not to sell them officially here. Instead Amazon’s only concession is to sell the never discounted, overpriced and underfeatured “Fire TV Basic Edition” - if you can even get it, since it seems to be permanently sold out.

I understand you now, thanks.

I got the 4k fire stick from Curry's, think it was around 50 Euro

We have both the Roku 4k and Firestick 4k, connected to the TV.

The Roku was put away as everyone in the house rathered using the Firestick

Had to message Amazon to help set it up correctly, they set the stick for UK, its registered under my Irish Amazon account.

Very happy with it.

A couple of Irish apps on it now also

Using it mainly for
    Netflix
    Prime
    Eurosport
    Now TV
    Spotify

Was only keeping the Roku for RTE Player and Virgin.

With Virgin now on the Fire stick, we'll just cast RTE player from a mobile now if we need it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭mackersdublin

Maplin sell (or have in the past sold) Freesat receivers in Ireland even though they’re not authorised for sale here.

I can see why Maplin and Currys have stock over here as they are sold in their UK stores, but Power City have and are stil selling Freesat boxes https://powercity.ie/product/340138

Are you sure they can't be sold here in Ireland?

• Advertisement

I can see why Maplin and Currys have stock over here as they are sold in their UK stores, but Power City have and are stil selling Freesat boxes https://powercity.ie/product/340138

Nothing illegal about doing so (at least pre Brexit, the single market in goods would have applied). My understanding is that Freesat don’t want them sold here, although obviously it’s for the manufacturers to arrange distribution.

If you have a good memory, you might remember “Sat4free”, where a number of Freesat manufacturers distributed barely altered Freesat receivers officially here. with the postcode select screen removed and a NI EPG provided. Freesat weren’t happy and the products were very abruptly pulled.

Nothing illegal about doing so (at least pre Brexit, the single market in goods would have applied). My understanding is that Freesat don’t want them sold here, although obviously it’s for the manufacturers to arrange distribution.

If you have a good memory, you might remember “Sat4free”, where a number of Freesat manufacturers distributed barely altered Freesat receivers officially here. with the postcode select screen removed and a NI EPG provided. Freesat weren’t happy and the products were very abruptly pulled.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭isup

FRIENDO wrote: »
    I understand you now, thanks.

I got the 4k fire stick from Curry's, think it was around 50 Euro

We have both the Roku 4k and Firestick 4k, connected to the TV.

The Roku was put away as everyone in the house rathered using the Firestick

Had to message Amazon to help set it up correctly, they set the stick for UK, its registered under my Irish Amazon account.

Very happy with it.

A couple of Irish apps on it now also

Using it mainly for
    Netflix
    Prime
    Eurosport
    Now TV
    Spotify

Was only keeping the Roku for RTE Player and Virgin.

With Virgin now on the Fire stick, we'll just cast RTE player from a mobile now if we need it.

Are you able to cast the RTE player? I've had to screen mirror it. Does anyone know if there will be a RTE player app made for the firestick?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,780 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

icdg wrote:

Yea it's a bit nuts, and they're dime a dozen in the country, all working very well

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,615 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I have the RTE Player working perfectly on a Firestick 4K.

• Advertisement

isup wrote: »
    Are you able to cast the RTE player? I've had to screen mirror it. Does anyone know if there will be a RTE player app made for the firestick?

Sorry, I meant Wireless projection (screen mirroring)

Advertisement