Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Commuter

Options
  • 24-04-2021 7:18am
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,385 CMod ✭✭✭✭

It is about 15 years since I last had a motorbike and my knowledge on the topic seems to be completely out of date. Where are all of the Hornets and Bandits gone?

Anyway, I have an employment opportunity that I am interested in but the commute is a bit of a nightmare. It is 10 miles door to door but my estimation on cycling, public transport or driving are all coming up with roughly 1hr10mins each way. So a motorbike would seem like the most sensible option which should cut that to 40 mins or so max.

I am looking at the Honda NC750 which looks decent and is reasonably priced. Thoughts on it? Any other suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,979 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Should be able to cycle that in 40 on a bike. Genuinely what about an electric bike. Cut it to half hour easily

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,385 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

listermint wrote: »
    Should be able to cycle that in 40 on a bike. Genuinely what about an electric bike. Cut it to half hour easily

On a clear flat road I could average 3 min/km cycling. On traffic clogged city streets that would be suicidal speeds.

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    On a clear flat road I could average 3 min km cycling. On traffic clogged city streets that would be suicidal speeds.

City streets must make up a fraction of your journey though.

I'm a motorcyclist but driving one into the city for work in the city comes at a cost. Theft, unless there's proper secure parking.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,385 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

City streets must make up a fraction of your journey though.

Nope they make up most of my journey.
    Back to the motorbikes :)

Fair enough. Dublin's tiny I'd pick up something small nimble and make sure I had parking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭myclist

My brother is selling a NC750 DCT in perfect condition, 2015. Let me know if youre interested.

Could this be the shortest thread ever :D

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭Breezin

Get the 750 for actual motorcycling, and an electric bike on tax back for the commute.
    My cheapo e-bike is quicker and less stressful in my 17km cross-city journey.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭goblin59

Nope they make up most of my journey.
    Back to the motorbikes :)

If the bulk of your journey is within the city, then the NC750 would be a heavy bike for that.

a 250cc - 500cc would be much lighter and all the stop starts would be much better on something nimbler like a super moto.
    only downside is you need a good lock.

Will be cheaper on the insurance too as your NCB will be gone

https://www.donedeal.ie/motorbikes-for-sale/98-kawasaki-kle-400cc-road-legal-trails-bike/27816470

something like this would be light, easy to maintain and can bring it around Ireland on decent weekend trips.

• Advertisement

goblin59 wrote: »
    If the bulk of your journey is within the city, then the NC750 would be a heavy bike for that.

a 250cc - 500cc would be much lighter and all the stop starts would be much better on something nimbler like a super moto.
    only downside is you need a good lock.

Will be cheaper on the insurance too as your NCB will be gone

I drove an er500 for a while which was a completely uninspiring machine. That was what had me opting for the bigger engine but maybe it is just a poor example of a 500

Breezin wrote: »
    Get the 750 for actual motorcycling, and an electric bike on tax back for the commute.
    My cheapo e-bike is quicker and less stressful in my 17km cross-city journey.

My actually motorbiking will have to wait until the kids grow up a bit more :)
    If I can still get a Buell or a V-rod at that point that is what I will get.

I am not sure I want to cycle tbh as even using Dublin bikes around the city I've had a few near misses that could have been fatal had I not had my wits about me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭DelBoy Trotter

I’m in a similar situation. I drove bikes for 5 years, but it’s been 15 years since I’ve been on a bike. I can use public transport to get to and from the office, but for a good while prior to the pandemic, I had been completely fed up using public transport to get to work, so had been thinking of getting myself a scooter. After more thinking and doing a few sums, the extra cost in getting a bike as opposed to a scooter seems worth it. It would then give me the option of the odd weekend spin too. This plan obviously depends on how much I need to be in the office at the end of the pandemic too.
    Ideally I’d like something nimble for getting in and out of the city centre (I have secure parking at the office), and a Hornet 250 is exactly what I’d like, but it seems they are fairly thin on the ground these days. I haven’t kept up to date with motorbikes in the last 15 years, so no idea what would be similar to a Hornet 250, does anybody have any suggestions?

Try a Honda CB250f
    probally as close as a modern equivalent as you get.
    Looked at the ER500 online, does nothing for me either xD
    Street bikes never really did much for me, was always dual sports as I love adventure sport stuff, use to volunteer as a activity camp instructor, so was always into camping, kayaking and all that stuff so I'd want a bike I can bring out drop and not really care as it was made to be that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

I am looking at the Honda NC750 which looks decent and is reasonably priced. Thoughts on it? Any other suggestions?

The nc750 is built for exactly this. It's a perfect commuter bike. It's not that heavy and the motor is pretty tame. That said, if the route is 100% urban city riding an e bike will be equally fast and its worth looking into.

I drove an er500 for a while which was a completely uninspiring machine. That was what had me opting for the bigger engine but maybe it is just a poor example of a 500

The nc750 is very tame imo, it isn't going to set your world alight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Cymraeg

I use a G310R for my cross city commute (10miles) and takes 35 mins. It’s light and nimble, looks the part and doesn’t cost the earth. It’s worth looking at the 300-400cc range, as long as you’re not intending to go sticking long motorway miles on it. Great bike and suits the city riding!

That actually looks smart enough and there are a couple available around the 5K mark on donedeal. What would the insurance be like on that versus an NC750?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭positron

Getting in and out of the bike gear for a quick 20 mins ride sounds a bit if a chore, but I can see the attraction as well. A scooter - Xmax or Burgman etc will cut down on how much waterproof gear you need to don on wintry days.

I would be on the e-bike camp but they are not cheap either. A good road bike would be the best bet on good weather days, saves you money and time that would otherwise go to the gym etc.

I tested the cycling and it was 1 hr 15 mins each way. Looking for motorbike advice more than cycling advice tbh.

I tested the cycling and it was 1 hr 15 mins each way. Looking for motorbike advice more than cycling advice tbh.

Burgman then id get one in a heart beat for that journey can wear normal clothes and a rain cover for legs. It's no wonder they are so popular in Europe. No faffing around with all the gear

• Advertisement

That actually looks smart enough and there are a couple available around the 5K mark on donedeal. What would the insurance be like on that versus an NC750?

Everybodys situation is different so obviously it can vary greatly when it comes to quotes but in relation to the base insurance groups there's very little difference between the 2. Bmw is group 10 and the Honda is 11.

If it was me I'd go for the Honda, more powerful but not going to have your arms stretched, better wind protection for the odd day you need to go on the motorway, storage, it already has a large storage compartment but won't look odd with a top box added (storage is invaluable on a motorbike, especially commuters).

I know that getting a 600+ for city riding can be like using a sledgehammer to crack a nut but the 300 is a beginner bike,its a stepping stone to middle weights and litre bikes, you're an experienced rider, you'll get bored on it, if you're considering the 300 route at all you might as well get a 125. Listermint suggestion of a burgman is also spot on, a 400 burgman would perfect for this journey, but you won't be cool then.

Burgman then if get one in a heart beat for that journey can wear normal clothes and a rain cover for legs. It's no wonder they are so popular in Europe. No faffing around with all the gear

Personally I'll never get on a bike again without proper gear on. It doesn't matter if you fall off a scooter or a motorbike, the ground is going to do the same damage to your skin and bones at 80kmh!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,121 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

Personally I'll never get on a bike again without proper gear on. It doesn't matter if you fall off a scooter or a motorbike, the ground is going to do the same damage to your skin and bones at 80kmh!

The feeling of vulnerability on the bike without all the gear is horrifying. The literal handful of times I did it, I felt every metre of the short journey.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭Breezin

zubair wrote: »
    ... a 400 burgman would perfect for this journey, but you won't be cool then.

And an NC750 is cool?!! :eek::pac::D

It is for commuting. I couldn't give a shyte about looking cool. The Burgman might be a step too far though :pac:

You really shouldn't be blowing around the city at 80kmph tbh.

I'm an all the gear fella but for city speeds on a scooter. Comfort and clothes for me. Helmet gloves and jacket .

You really shouldn't be blowing around the city at 80kmph tbh.

I'm an all the gear fella but for city speeds on a scooter. Comfort and clothes for me. Helmet gloves and jacket .

I never said anything about riding around a city centre at 80kmph. People who live close to the city centre might still have to use a dual carriageway to get into the city centre (the N11 for example), and while they might not be doing 80kmph, the point still stands at 50-60kmph

• Registered Users Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭gipi

Whatever bike you go for, make sure you'll be insured to commute to work - it's not a given any more. My bike policy specifically states that I am not insured to travel to my place of business - I'm no longer working so it's not relevant to me. When you get a quote, be it online or over the phone, make sure to specify that you'll be commuting.

gipi wrote: »
    Whatever bike you go for, make sure you'll be insured to commute to work - it's not a given any more. My bike policy specifically states that I am not insured to travel to my place of business - I'm no longer working so it's not relevant to me. When you get a quote, be it online or over the phone, make sure to specify that you'll be commuting.

That's a crap policy tbh. Why not move provider?

• Advertisement

Haha, to you and I, no. But the general public don't know that.

Advertisement