Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laying patio - no gaps between slabs

• 24-04-2021 7:49am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭

Morning all,

I've already started laying my slabs however I'm taking a pause before I resume today.

I was advised where I bought the slabs that I don't need to leave a gap between them for this type of slab.

Brochure below - the 'Textured Flag' - you can see the picture there of them wedged tightly together:

https://www.kilsaran.ie/wp-content/uploads/2018/09/Kilsaran-Product-Selector-Brochure-ONLINE-Jul-2018-LR7-65DPI-1.pdf

Question: Is this right or should there be a 10mm-15mm gap that I read about everywhere else? Laying directly on grit sand (whacked hardcore underneath).

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

As pic no gaps is normal. Your laying level needs to be accurately level to ensure the slabs don't tilt or look uneven.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭Naos

Lantus wrote: »
    As pic no gaps is normal. Your laying level needs to be accurately level to ensure the slabs don't tilt or look uneven.

Thanks!

First time doing this, it's as accurate as I can but won't be a pro job. I've read leaving gaps can help with this, any gaps would be very obvious if very tight together wheras leaving a 10mm gap give some wiggle room, thoughts?

Also one concern I have is if everything is laid and say a few months down the line I run into an issue and need to lift one, if no gaps I'd have to remove them all to get to that problem slab right?

10mm is huge. If I was setting in mortar and filling gaps then maybe. You can lift from any edge presumably?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭Naos

Lantus wrote: »
    10mm is huge. If I was setting in mortar and filling gaps then maybe. You can lift from any edge presumably?

I won't be setting in mortar, just laying directly onto the grit sand. Well that's the thing, I've laid a small square to see at the moment and if I had an issue with one (say it cracked or sunk) then there's no room to get at it..

But noted on the 10mm being huge, thanks

If you have a good base and it's compacted they shouldn't sink and if one does crack just whack it and smash it out and drop a whole one back in. Colours change over time so unless you are stockpiling spares they may not even exist.

• Advertisement
Advertisement