Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bells

Options
  • 24-04-2021 11:55am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭

They're absolutely hopping. Somewhere in town I think, coming from the east and up into Glasheen where I am currently.

What's the occasion, noon? Seems excessive.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭shtpEdthePlum

They're very modest for 4pm then, conversely.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭cantalach

St. Fin Barres's, presumably, if you're in Glasheen:

https://corkcathedral.webs.com/bells

I don't regard myself as Christian anymore but I think that the sound of cathedral bells is one of those things that makes a city a city.

cantalach wrote: »

I don't regard myself as Christian anymore but I think that the sound of cathedral bells is one of those things that makes a city a city.

Bookmark annual Cork Heritage day; you can go up into the Bell Tower with then as the crack out a few tunes.
    Fascinating to watch them do it

Are they actually bells? My nana said they were a recording ages ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭cantalach

Are they actually bells? My nana said they were a recording ages ago.

Follow the link in my first response above.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

I did my Erasmus over in Belgium and I loved the church bells echoing through the narrow streets. They were going almost all day, every day. Very atmospheric and enjoyable. I would have liked for more bells in the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,038 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Pen Rua wrote: »
    I did my Erasmus over in Belgium and I loved the church bells echoing through the narrow streets. They were going almost all day, every day. Very atmospheric and enjoyable. I would have liked for more bells in the city.

I lived right by the cathedral in Antwerp.
    You'd get people practising during the day.
    I thought I was losing it when I heard the theme to the Muppet Show played on the bells!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

I lived right by the cathedral in Antwerp.
    You'd get people practising during the day.
    I thought I was losing it when I heard the theme to the Muppet Show played on the bells!

Stayed in a hotel right on that square - it was wonderful.

Sometimes I think I'm hearing the bells here play some song or tune I recognise. Sometimes a religious hymn, but the odd time a "normal" song.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,007 ✭✭✭opus

I live close to St Annes in Shandon but thankfully not so close that the bells would keep me awake as I think it chimes every 15 mins. Back in more normal times it was fun to try and guess what tune the tourists were trying to play if I was walking home at lunchtime.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

Amateur campanologists communicating in code!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,691 ✭✭✭corks finest

cantalach wrote: »

I'm a committed christian and I find them soothing and brings back childhood memories

They are absolutely hopping in around the Lough now... Happy that mass is back??!

Advertisement