Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

loads of flies in garden

Options
  • 24-04-2021 12:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38

For the past week or so there has been a ton of flies about my garden. I dont think i have ever had this in previous years. They seem to be mating, as they fly on to the ground and there is two of them attached to each other but pointing in opposite directions. After about 2pm each day they seem to clear off.

I dont have any standing water or anything like that. Is it possible one of my drains has something in them that is attracting them? Or does everyone have this in their gardens at the moment?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,429 ✭✭✭✭looksee

You would really need to identify the flies, difficult enough to photograph but if you could get a pic it would help.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,686 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Look up St Marks Flies. Are they the ones? If so no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Cooled1

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    Look up St Marks Flies. Are they the ones? If so no problem.

Was just about to upload a pic when I saw your post, googled pics of those and yep 99% sure its St Marks flies, thank you. I got new soil put down last autumn, would their eggs have been in that? I see they also feed on dead vegetation, i had recently put a dead house plant outside, would that of attracted them?

It seems they only live about a week thankfully, they die after the female lays the eggs in the soil, but is there is anything I can do to avoid the same thing next year? I will of course get rid of the dead house plant :)

Aftee reading a bit more it seeks the flies could be around for another couple of months yet :( it also seems there is no chemical control available to deal with the eggs in the grass. Im surrounded by houses so the source of their food could be in someone elses garden.

Would cutting my grass to the shortest level help in terms of exposing the eggs/larvae more to birds?

And would it help to have a bird feeder in the garden or would the birds just go for that rather than the eggs/larvae in the grass?

Half tempted to just put down fake grass if Im going to have this problem every year.

They're just a common, relatively harmless fly. They won't be around too long. We have loads of them every year.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Cooled1 wrote: »
    Aftee reading a bit more it seeks the flies could be around for another couple of months yet :( it also seems there is no chemical control available to deal with the eggs in the grass. Im surrounded by houses so the source of their food could be in someone elses garden.

Would cutting my grass to the shortest level help in terms of exposing the eggs/larvae more to birds?

And would it help to have a bird feeder in the garden or would the birds just go for that rather than the eggs/larvae in the grass?

Half tempted to just put down fake grass if Im going to have this problem every year.

You could try getting out the flame thrower and razing the place to scorched earth. I do know that flies hate open flames.

They're just a common, relatively harmless fly. They won't be around too long. We have loads of them every year.

Yeah I'd just prefer not to have them, want to be able to enjoy food and drinks on my patio without them landing in either

lordgoat wrote: »
    You could try getting out the flame thrower and razing the place to scorched earth. I do know that flies hate open flames.

Its probably the one thing that would actually get rid of them, tempting

Reading up a bit more about them it seems they do damage the turf by feeding on the roots, and insecticides that are used to control leatherjackets (larvae of the crane fly) will also have an effect on the larvae of st marks flies.

Cooled1 wrote: »
    Reading up a bit more about them it seems they do damage the turf by feeding on the roots, and insecticides that are used to control leatherjackets (larvae of the crane fly) will also have an effect on the larvae of st marks flies.

They do negligible damage to lawns. They really feed on dead matter more so than roots. Leatherjacks would be much more destructive.

Honestly, they're no harm and only last a short while.

• Advertisement

They do negligible damage to lawns. They really feed on dead matter more so than roots. Leatherjacks would be much more destructive.

Honestly, they're no harm and only last a short while.

How long do they be around for? I thought it was 3 months?
    Seeing loads of flys makes me itch, i just cant relax in my patio when they are there.

Advertisement