Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whinging feminists in the media

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Oh, I'm very well aware that there are differences depending on the country in question. I've worked internationally in Finance, Management consulting, and Education.

I'm also aware that all is not what it seems. Take China or South Korea for example, where you'll often find women in the top management positions. These are token positions where the women are there to be seen, but the important decisions are mostly done by men in upper or parallel departments. Position, without authority. You can find the same in many of the former Communist countries, where there was an emphasis on employing the population, so managers are often female, but have little real power within their own departments.

That's not to say that women don't achieve great heights, and have real power of their own. They do. My ex (Chinese) was like that, but generally speaking there are tertiary reasons for that happening. In her case, it was having an influential family behind her, although thats not to say she wouldn't have succeeded in any industry. Incredibly intelligent
    So you say women are either in their managerial positions as decoration or they came there because if their family. If your ex was an exception why did you feel the need to mention her family background.

And yet you claim there is no discrimination. From that we can just conclude you think women are simply less capable because they are supposed to be baby making machines and are not made for corporate world.

I know you will write a long winded reply where you will present yourself as an expert on all things communist (after all Rusians, Chinese, Slovenian, Cuban we are all the same) and all things what women want. Knock yourself out, you obviously know my own experiences better than I do.

meeeeh wrote: »
    So you say women are either in their managerial positions as decoration or they came there because if their family.

That is not what I said. You keep doing this, and it suggests that you don't really want a fair conversation.
    I know you will write a long winded reply where you will present yourself as an expert on all things communist (after all Rusians, Chinese, Slovenian, Cuban we are all the same) and all things what women want. Knock yourself out, you obviously know my own experiences better than I do.

Again, not what I said.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,120 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

meeee, in fairness the example was specific to China. It's not exactly a country renowned for basic human rights, nevermind inclusively. Their one child policy led to girls being unwanted and unvalued.

meeee, in fairness the example was specific to China. It's not exactly a country renowned for basic human rights, nevermind inclusively. Their one child policy led to girls being unwanted and unvalued.

I referred to former communist countries, since meeee raised references to Croatia. I also mentioned Asian countries like China and S.Korea because of the hierarchical nature of such companies, as examples of where women gain positions without the corresponding authority (since, again, she raised the points of non-western nations often having women in upper positions). The example of my ex was minor... but that's what meeee chose to focus on. Pretty true to form with her responses actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

Literally just now on RTE Radio 1, some feminist type is harping on about how the lockdown "disproportionately affects women in like a MILLION different ways".

You can't make it up, they pedal victimhood to young girls in every aspect of life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,685 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

py2006 wrote: »
    Literally just now on RTE Radio 1, some feminist type is harping on about how the lockdown "disproportionately affects win in like a MILLION different ways".

You can't make it up, they pedal victimhood to young girls in every aspect of life.

Did you wait to listen as to why she was saying it disproportionally affected them, or did you just drop everything and run to Boards to post?

Did you wait to listen as to why she was saying it disproportionally affected them, or did you just drop everything and run to Boards to post?

It's an attitude that has been displayed numerous times both online and offline over the last year (just do a google search and you'll find plenty of media articles). I doubt this person is saying any new reasons for the opinion that women are affected more.

In any case, it's a stupid thing to say. How can one say either gender is more or less affected by the overall situation?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

I would be a long time waiting for the million reasons.

It's an attitude that has been displayed numerous times both online and offline over the last year (just do a google search and you'll find plenty of media articles). I doubt this person is saying any new reasons for the opinion that women are affected more.

In any case, it's a stupid thing to say. How can one say either gender is more or less affected by the overall situation?

Maybe because one gender has found themselves more often then not in doing the increased housekeeping (meal prep / clean up) that has come about as a consequence of people spending more time at home.
    Maybe because one gender has found themselves doing most, if not all of the home schooling duties associated with children not being in school for a year.

Now, before you or anyone come back spitting indignation that I am suggesting that you or anyone else is not doing their share, I'm not saying that. I'm saying that to flat out say that there is no possibility that one gender has been impacted in a different way to others is just dismissing it out of hand. Maybe if the person who heard the article had listened to the whole topic, we'd have more information to go on.

Now, here's a question for you, if it is the case (through whatever data or metric they have) that women have been more impacted in certain ways than men, should that not be discussed?

And as previously suggested, if there are ways in which men have suffered more than women over the last 12 months, whose fault is it that this is not being discussed? Do you think Pat Kenny, Kieran Cuddihy, Matt Cooper, Sean Moncrieff, Niall Boylan etc would not facilitate such a discussion?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5 MitchBuch

I can't abide feminists, it makes me glad I am ugly so I never had to be in relationships. Do you ever notice how feminists write on their Twitter bios how they are a "mamma, wife, friend, feminist, dog mom, BLM activist". When I read that sort of bio I know you are a pretentious swine. I try to avoid social media.

• Advertisement

MitchBuch wrote: »
    I can't abide feminists, it makes me glad I am ugly so I never had to be in relationships. Do you ever notice how feminists write on their Twitter bios how they are a "mamma, wife, friend, feminist, dog mom, BLM activist". When I read that sort of bio I know you are a pretentious swine. I try to avoid social media.

Every cloud and all that.........

• Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

Maybe because one gender has found themselves more often then not in doing the increased housekeeping (meal prep / clean up) that has come about as a consequence of people spending more time at home.
    Maybe because one gender has found themselves doing most, if not all of the home schooling duties associated with children not being in school for a year.

Now, before you or anyone come back spitting indignation that I am suggesting that you or anyone else is not doing their share, I'm not saying that. I'm saying that to flat out say that there is no possibility that one gender has been impacted in a different way to others is just dismissing it out of hand. Maybe if the person who heard the article had listened to the whole topic, we'd have more information to go on.

Now, here's a question for you, if it is the case (through whatever data or metric they have) that women have been more impacted in certain ways than men, should that not be discussed?

And as previously suggested, if there are ways in which men have suffered more than women over the last 12 months, whose fault is it that this is not being discussed? Do you think Pat Kenny, Kieran Cuddihy, Matt Cooper, Sean Moncrieff, Niall Boylan etc would not facilitate such a discussion?

Should the Government step in and allocate household tasks equally?

What exactly is the point of complaining about who is doing what around the household....and for the record...if we lived in a culture where men were incessantly complaining about how many trinkets and cushions and all the other gimmicky things women buy for the house and how much they cost and how men had to work longer hours to pay for the new carpets or whatever we'd soon get sick of listening to them too...because it is infantile.

The only thing that no one can deny now is that feminists will never stop complaining or finding things to complain about....never...you just need to ask yourself at what point do you get tired of listening to them!!

Should the Government step in and allocate household tasks equally?

What exactly is the point of complaining about who is doing what around the household....and for the record...if we lived in a culture where men were incessantly complaining about how many trinkets and cushions and all the other gimmicky things women buy for the house and how much they cost and how men had to work longer hours to pay for the new carpets or whatever we'd soon get sick of listening to them too...because it is infantile.

The only thing that no one can deny now is that feminists will never stop complaining or finding things to complain about....never...you just need to ask yourself at what point do you get tired of listening to them!!

Don't know if you noticed, but probably 90% of topics discussed on current affairs shows which offer a variety of opinions consist of someone who is complaining about the topic. If not, it's just a consensus and then there is no need to discuss as things are as society wish they would be.

But, once the topic is a woman talking about her experience or that of her gender, Boom, she's branded a man-hating feminist complaining about something for no reason and will likely get her own dedicated thread on Boards with regressives complaining about having to listen to her.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭iptba

py2006 wrote: »
    Literally just now on RTE Radio 1, some feminist type is harping on about how the lockdown "disproportionately affects win in like a MILLION different ways".

One frustrating thing is how journalists/presenters don’t tend to challenge them in ways people promoting other interest groups are often challenged.

Then again no one likes to be “cancelled” and one can suffer as hominem attacks for questioning feminists. Under an anonymous username, that’s not a huge concern but it’s a bigger concern when using one’s own name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭EddieN75

Multiple cat owner, daily wine drinker, lonely at weekends.

The mamma and wife bits are lies

• Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

Don't know if you noticed, but probably 90% of topics discussed on current affairs shows which offer a variety of opinions consist of someone who is complaining about the topic. If not, it's just a consensus and then there is no need to discuss as things are as society wish they would be.

But, once the topic is a woman talking about her experience or that of her gender, Boom, she's branded a man-hating feminist complaining about something for no reason and will likely get her own dedicated thread on Boards with regressives complaining about having to listen to them.

That first paragraph makes no sense whatsoever.

To be fair, if you listen to enough feminists, you'll quickly see that many are indeed driven by a dislike or disdain for men or male culture...they won't even realize it...I'd be willing to bet, without looking, that the amount of books or articles relating to toxic masculinity published over the last 5 years heavily outnumbers the books or articles published about toxic femininity...so feminists have to keep conjuring up perceived injustices to keep the victim merry go round turning....to keep churning out infantile articles that many of us are bored of listening to!

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭SnuggyBear

EddieN75 wrote: »

Strong independent woman. Aka miserable

Nah. I'm not going to play this game with you. Not that I couldn't point out how those who are forced into the home, or those who remain working could be.... whatever... because I still think it's stupid to draw comparisons on such an issue, seeking to elevate one gender over another.

Or perhaps I (and others) have seen other articles seeking to claim that women have been affected more than men? Which is why I suggested that you do a google search on similar articles.

Sure, ... But should it be discussed in a fashion that seeks to present some form of competition? As the other poster said, it said that women had been affected more than men. Hence a competition to compare.

Thats not an effort to discuss that women have suffered. It's an attempt to raise a gender issue. Just as your opening sentences above did.

Nope. Actually, I think most men would avoid such a claim, unless they were driven to cause sensationalism, and drama.

Nah. I'm not going to play this game with you. Not that I couldn't point out how those who are forced into the home, or those who remain working could be.... whatever... because I still think it's stupid to draw comparisons on such an issue, seeking to elevate one gender over another.

Or perhaps I (and others) have seen other articles seeking to claim that women have been affected more than men? Which is why I suggested that you do a google search on similar articles.

Sure, it should... But should is be discussed in a fashion that seeks to present some form of competition? As the other poster said, it said that women had been affected more than men. Hence a competition to compare.

Thats not an effort to discuss that women have suffered. It's an attempt to raise a gender issue. Just as your opening sentences above did.

Nope. Actually, I think most men would avoid such a claim, unless they were driven to cause sensationalism, and drama.

If you want people to consider these any google articles, by all means link them in your post.

Maybe this bit in bold why people are left asking why isn't someone talking about male suicide, divorce experiences, etc, etc, etc. Much easier complain vaguely about women who are trying to instill change then to do any sort of advocacy yourself.

People complain, sure enough. That's life. All the same, I'd say that not all discussions are complaints. However, it's worth considering the range of things that people complain about.
    But, once the topic is a woman talking about her experience or that of her gender, Boom, she's branded a man-hating feminist complaining about something for no reason and will likely get her own dedicated thread on Boards with regressives complaining about having to listen to her.

Ahh no. That's more of this woe is me, I'm the eternal victim routine. Women can't .. bla bla bla. Women are more than capable of complaining on issues without being called a feminist. The difference is that feminists have a rather distinctive way of posting. This thread is full of it.. naturally... but there are also other women on this thread, who aren't spouting the feminist ideology, and still manage to get their points across.

• Advertisement

Maybe this bit in bold why people are left asking why isn't someone talking about male suicide, divorce experiences, etc, etc, etc. Much easier complain vaguely about women who are trying to instill change then to do any sort of advocacy yourself.

Oh, the irony of using that to defend female authors complaining about women being more affected by covid. :rolleyes:

As for my own contributions, I have participated in Men's rights groups before, attending meetings, and contributing financially to groups seeking to legally defend the rights of fathers. You know nothing of what I and others involve themselves in... just as I don't have a clue whether you stand in a mob, throwing paint at people you don't like. Not going to make the claim either.

Ahh no. That's more of this woe is me, I'm the eternal victim routine. Women can't .. bla bla bla. Women are more than capable of complaining on issues without being called a feminist. The difference is that feminists have a rather distinctive way of posting. This thread is full of it.. naturally... but there are also other women on this thread, who aren't spouting the feminist ideology, and still manage to get their points across.

The views of 3 of the posters out of the 8 who have poster here in the last hour.
    EddieN75 wrote: »

SnuggyBear wrote: »
    Strong independent woman. Aka miserable

You're right, the thread is full of something all right.

The views of 3 of the posters out of the 8 who have poster here in the last hour.

And what? I'm supposed to take responsibility for those posters? They can post however they want. Just as the feminists here can post ignorant anti-male rhetoric if they want.
    You're right, the thread is full of something all right.

I could crawl through the thread posting up the offensive comments by obviously feminist posters, but... I see no point in doing so. Are all male posters collectively responsible for what other male posters do? (Sorry, to those posters for assuming their gender.. since I honestly don't have a clue what gender any of you are, and that includes you, TMH)

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭CageWager

Women complain all the time about doing more of the household chores but yet men do significantly more work than women outside the home (on average).

In my anecdotal experience, lots of women in couples I know work shorter hours in much easier jobs than their husband/partner. They are quite happy to pool her 35k and his 100k and call it “our money” while still complaining about doing more of the housework.

Before anyone jumps down my throat - yes there are women who earn more than their husband, yes there are couples who are equal in terms of job level etc. but when I hear a women complaining about things like this (in my personal experience where I know the couple) she is usually a low earner in a low level role benefiting greatly from her husbands sweat.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,926 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

CageWager wrote: »
    Women complain all the time about doing more of the household chores but yet men do significantly more work than women outside the home (on average).

In my anecdotal experience, lots of women in couples I know work shorter hours in much easier jobs than their husband/partner. They are quite happy to pool her 35k and his 100k and call it “our money” while still complaining about doing more of the housework.

Before anyone jumps down my throat - yes there are women who earn more than their husband, yes there are couples who are equal in terms of job level etc. but when I hear a women complaining about things like this (in my personal experience where I know the couple) she is usually a low earner in a low level role benefiting greatly from her husbands sweat.

I’m not jumping down your throat, but I’m just wondering about the idea of anyone on €100k breaking a sweat? Figuratively surely? Unless it’s particularly warm weather? :D

Are the men you know as happy to pool their resources as the women in the relationship or do they complain about it as much as women in your experience?

I’m just curious about your experiences, it’s not a right or wrong answer kinda question or anything, I’m more just curious about the dynamics and the way each of them perceives their contributions to the family or the household if they aren’t married.

Like if it was a thing where in my experience and again it’s anecdotal, men are happy as the women to pool their resources, which is something which doesn’t show in the statistics when anyone speaks of their issues with any apparent inequality with regards to household incomes and financial issues, domestic chores and division of labour and earnings and resources and contributions within a relationship.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭CageWager

I’m not jumping down your throat, but I’m just wondering about the idea of anyone on €100k breaking a sweat? Figuratively surely? Unless it’s particularly warm weather? :D

Are the men you know as happy to pool their resources as the women in the relationship or do they complain about it as much as women in your experience?

I’m just curious about your experiences, it’s not a right or wrong answer kinda question or anything, I’m more just curious about the dynamics and the way each of them perceives their contributions to the family or the household if they aren’t married.

Like if it was a thing where in my experience and again it’s anecdotal, men are happy as the women to pool their resources, which is something which doesn’t show in the statistics when anyone speaks of their issues with any apparent inequality with regards to household incomes and financial issues, domestic chores and division of labour and earnings and resources and contributions within a relationship.

Men in my experience are happy to pool their resources and you’ll never hear a man on Newstalk complaining about it how it’s unfair that they work longer hours. Im not denigrating the contribution that many women make in the home - its immense, but it always has to be brought up as some kind of tyranny. Men are conditioned by society to put the head down and silently plough fields (metaphorically, of course).

I'll say one more thing and I'll bow out of this thread:

I know very few feminists in real life. Those I know are either obnoxious and largely disliked, or have had a negative experience(s) with an ex(es) and use feminism as a shield against their own misandry.

Most people (of either gender) are well adjusted and acknowledge assholes (of either gender) as assholes and move on with their lives.

Who earns what and who does what in the house requires communication and acknowledgement of each other's circumstances, aptitudes and qualifications.

The one thing that galls me about feminism is that it uses a broad brushstroke to imply all women are victims. I'm not a victim, nor have I ever been.

I haven't been more adversely affected by Covid than men, individual circumstances and employment dictate how you've been affected. As a crude example, a female hairdresser and a male construction worker have both lost the right to work, so both genders can be equally affected depending on their job. Unless people want to claim that men out of work during the pandemic have sat and scratched their balls for the entire time.

I'll say one more thing and I'll bow out of this thread:

I know very few feminists in real life. Those I know are either obnoxious and largely disliked, or have had a negative experience(s) with an ex(es) and use feminism as a shield against their own misandry.

Most people (of either gender) are well adjusted and acknowledge assholes (of either gender) as assholes and move on with their lives.

Who earns what and who does what in the house requires communication and acknowledgement of each other's circumstances, aptitudes and qualifications.

The one thing that galls me about feminism is that it uses a broad brushstroke to imply all women are victims. I'm not a victim, nor have I ever been.

I haven't been more adversely affected by Covid than men, individual circumstances and employment dictate how you've been affected. As a crude example, a female hairdresser and a male construction worker have both lost the right to work, so both genders can be equally affected depending on their job. Unless people want to claim that men out of work during the pandemic have sat and scratched their balls for the entire time.

One last thing before you go. Can you name 5 feminists that impact daily life in Ireland in what you consider a real and detrimental fashion.

As you say yourself, you know very few in real life, me either. And that's partly my point, the conversation we see on here about them is disproportionally over the top in how they really affect any of us.

I know of way more threads about feminists than I do of real feminists.

One last thing before you go. Can you name 5 feminists that impact daily life in Ireland in what you consider a real and detrimental fashion.

As you say yourself, you know very few in real life, me either. And that's partly my point, the conversation we see on here about them is disproportionally over the top in how they really affect any of us.

I know of way more threads about feminists than I do of real feminists.

I can't, because I avoid them like the plague. I don't need to hear I'm a victim, nor that my life is difficult, because I know neither are true. I based my post on those I know in real life. I could ask them to name a few for you if you like?

If you care to tell me how and why I'm wrong I'm all ears. Well eyes, but you get the drift.

• Advertisement

The problem is that the effects of feminism are felt far beyond that of the individual. Feminism grew out the US, and the influence of US culture cannot be denied when it comes to "Western" culture. There are plenty of threads on boards talking about how American culture spreads and affects other countries, and Feminism is part and parcel to that.

Then there's the influence it has in psychology, the media, and government. It's felt in education when consent classes are proposed for boys, but no similar kind of classes suggested for girls (so that they can better understand boys and give/deny consent in a better fashion). It's felt in universities when the administrations themselves implement policies which have their foundation in feminism, and women's studies. It's felt when we see reams of "research" and observations about gender and personality from psychologists who obviously have connections to feminist ideology.. which in turn, extends into many other areas, from early child development, right through to how HR handles employees, or the discussions about the importance (or lack thereof) of fathers (but mothers are naturally needed). And then it's felt when the media bandies around terms such as toxic masculinity, or encourages the belief in a rape culture existing. Hell, the gender wage gap keeps rearing its head every few months regardless of the many times it's been debunked, and that provides plenty of stress in workplaces for managers.

The influence of feminism is not about individuals expressing feminist expressions of thought. Most of that is limited to the US, and various student groups in universities. The effect of feminism is how it has contributed (both positives and negatives) to society, and culture. Which, in turn, affects us indirectly.. and sometimes directly.

Advertisement