Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whinging feminists in the media

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

"Any female"?

I'm a woman, I'm not oppressed by the patriarchy, I have the freedom to live my life as I choose and, by any metric, I have a very privileged life.

I respect that the feminism of previous years has made this possible, but I suspect those feminists would be appalled at what feminism has evolved into today. They didn't want special treatment, gender quotas, nor women to identify as victims. They wanted equal rights and we have them, more than equal in the case of family law and reproductive decisions.

Marry me

• Registered Users Posts: 17,120 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

py2006 wrote: »
    Marry me

Let's not get carried away now!

Have you road frontage? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

not entirely sure what that means but I think...yes

• Registered Users Posts: 23,929 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Morgans wrote: »
    A lot of it is down to semantics - how to define feminism/feminists etc. I don't claim to be one, but believe they have historically just cause for needing to fight their corner.

As do I, I believe anyone has the right to fight their corner and all the rest of it and fight for what they believe in. Putting some people’s noses out of joint is an inevitability, but I don’t consider feminism a threat to anyone, that would be giving it more credit than it deserves.

Morgans wrote: »
    I think its not unfair for feminists/feminism to claim some part in the abortion referendum legislation, as well as contraception back in the 90s. I think without their contribution/activism, these would be on the politically unimportant list, like those mens grievances listed earlier.

Speaking of giving feminism credit it doesn’t deserve, sure, feminism can claim some part in it, but again the phrase “their own worst enemy” comes to mind, particularly if you were to look at how both those issues were, and still are primarily supported by men who would never claim to be feminists. I shouldn’t have to give you a clue as to why that is, but suffice to say it means men aren’t obligated to provide for any potential offspring.

Speaking of semantics, the Chinese Government recently had a rather interesting perspective, or rather - spin, on how they were selling abortion and contraception to certain demographics among the Chinese population, not entirely unlike the eugenics principles of the founders of Planned Parenthood in the US - the idea being to alleviate the poverty of the underclasses by promoting the idea that they should curb the numbers of children they wish to have. There are only a small number of people profiting from that particular philosophy, and I don’t see it as having anything to do with elevating women’s status in society tbh, when more often the ideas of abortion and contraception are used against women in societies where women and girls are regarded as being of lesser value to society than men and boys.

py2006 wrote: »
    not entirely sure what that means but I think...yes

You're obviously a city slicker.

It's land that borders onto a road. You could build a house because you have access to the road for a driveway, if you were to sell it it would be more valuable than a parcel of land sandwiched between adjacent land or properties with no direct access.

More importantly, it was a joke! :D

• Advertisement

Road frontage and all his own teeth, good catch.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

The examples I have seen of people who prescribe to the MGTOW ethos, and I am yet to have a conversation with someone in the real world who does so, leads me to think that these people selectively removing themselves from the gene pool might not be a bad thing.

Most of us here grew up in an Ireland where spousal rape was not possible to prosecute, where women, if not mandated to, frequently gave up their careers in order to look after the children and it was common for the property and funds being distributed in a will to go to the eldest son, irrespective of if there was a girl born before them. In the generations before that, it was common for dowry to be offered with a daughter so as to entice someone to marry her.

Now, while some ignore these types of realities and suggest that women have always been more preferably treated in society, more have reacted to their emergence as a group entirely capable of independent focus, desires and motivations from that of the men around them, more have reacted to this more equitable society by seeing any advancement of women as being to the detriment of men and, as you say, some of these have gone a step further in deciding to exclude themselves from pursuing women or interacting with them in any way which they have control over.

As I said, such people deciding to do this is probably not a bad thing but I would worry about some people who find themselves drawn to such ideals at a time in their lives when they are experiencing normal challenges of finding their own place in the world. The one thing I wouldn't do is blame all women for the difficulties they suffer.

The property rights situation was fixed about 55 years ago. You'd want to be close to 100 to remember when it wasn't. But you have a point about other matters. Procreation was regulated by the state in terms of condoms and abortion. But it wasn't anti women as such. Many women were all for regulation but it obviously impacted them more.
    Funnily enough condoms were not formally banned until 1935. By fianna fail.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,080 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Bobtheman wrote: »
    The property rights situation was fixed about 55 years ago. You'd want to be close to 100 to remember when it wasn't. But you have a point about other matters. Procreation was regulated by the state in terms of condoms and abortion. But it wasn't anti women as such. Many women were all for regulation but it obviously impacted them more.
    Funnily enough condoms were not formally banned until 1935. By fianna fail.

You are having a laugh. The states reactions on sexuality not anti women. Banning condoms, banning abortion, banning divorce, banning married women from work, colluding with Church in Magdalene laundries and Mother and baby homes, allowing marital rape, branding children born outside marriage illegitamate, faciltitating the forced adoption of many such childre, handing childrens allowance to men. Nah. The Irish State had a deeply mysogynistic view of women for decades.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

Annasopra wrote: »
    You are having a laugh. The states reactions on sexuality not anti women. Banning condoms, banning abortion, banning divorce, banning married women from work, colluding with Church in Magdalene laundries and Mother and baby homes, allowing marital rape, branding children born outside marriage illegitamate, faciltitating the forced adoption of many such childre, handing childrens allowance to men. Nah. The Irish State had a deeply mysogynistic view of women for decades.

Since we've repealed the 8th there's a large number of people who think we no longer have to acknowledge ANY of our recent history or the affects it still has on society and its people today.

GingerLily wrote: »
    Since we've repealed the 8th there's a large number of people who think we no longer have to acknowledge ANY of our recent history or the affects it still has on society and its people today.

It's more that since it happened before we were alive, many people feel that they're not responsible for it happening. We all know that Ireland was a traditional society with a wide range of negative attitudes.

We've simply moved on, because it's not that way any longer. Although it seems that some people haven't moved on.

• Advertisement

That’s a rather simplistic appraisal of the history of Irish society to be fair. It ignores for example the fact that moral values were more associated with the distinction between wealth and poverty than they were associated with gender. It ignores the role that women played in the subjugation of the underclass in Irish society who were considered to be morally inferior. The idea of introducing child benefit for example were to encourage families to have children, and to provide support for large families, and there were other social supports introduced for women raising children on their own, and laws introduced to obligate feckless fathers to provide financial support for their offspring.

GingerLily wrote: »

I’m not certain that repealing the 8th amendment has had any significant impact to change that perception which existed long before the Irish electorate voted in favour of the 8th amendment. It certainly doesn’t have any positive impact on the reality that even today, there are still one in five children in Ireland living in poverty.

It's more that since it happened before we were alive, many people feel that they're not responsible for it happening. We all know that Ireland was a traditional society with a wide range of negative attitudes.

We've simply moved on, because it's not that way any longer. Although it seems that some people haven't moved on.

I’m not so sure about that tbh. Just as it was then in Irish society, wealth and education meant the difference between how various groups in society were regarded and treated, really not all that different to Irish society today, and it’s not a view that’s based solely upon gender.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

too much victim capital to leave it all behind

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Gender quotas are the opposite of a meritocracy, therefore I am steadfastly against them. Having the most qualified candidates stepped over because they are the wrong gender makes zero sense to me. That's all.
    There's orchestras that started doing auditions behind a curtain to make sure the judges were not influenced by personal traits like gender or skin colour.

When the board realised the orchestra mainly hired white men (although women become more common) the curtain idea was done away with just so the judges would hire based on gender and skin colour.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/16/arts/music/blind-auditions-orchestras-race.html

I’m not so sure about that tbh. Just as it was then in Irish society, wealth and education meant the difference between how various groups in society were regarded and treated, really not all that different to Irish society today, and it’s not a view that’s based solely upon gender.

Sure, I get that, but the vast majority of people have access (along with financial supports) to third level education, or apprentice type qualifications, which boosts them far beyond what was available before. We have a society that allows a great degree of social mobility, and the laws to protect the rights of people for employment.

As for society itself, and how people perceive the place of women... I can't imagine it's more than an extreme minority of people (and likely quite old) who feel that women shouldn't have equality with men. Our society has shifted considerably about the place of gender in both general life, and employment. The loss/removal of religion as a constraining influence has guaranteed this.

We've moved on. Oh, sure, there will be some people with outdated ideas, but they're going to be a minority. We've had the conditioning for decades, through education, media, politics, etc all to present us with the belief that women should be "free"... It's not a process that's still continuing.. it's something ingrained in our society now.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,080 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Not at all. There is a complete and utter denial of the truth and attempts to rewrite history in this thread. Even the whole "it happened before we were alive is nonsense". The last magdalene laundry closed in 1997. My Sisters friend was sent to a convent somewhere in rural Ireland in the mid 1990s to have her baby. The 8th amendment happened in 1983. Repealing it still hasnt resolved many issues. There are counties which dont have any GPs offering abortion care. Im not sure why there is so much pretense and denial in this thread.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Not at all. There is a complete and utter denial of the truth and attempts to rewrite history in this thread. Even the whole "it happened before we were alive is nonsense". The last magdalene laundry closed in 1997. My Sisters friend was sent to a convent somewhere in rural Ireland in the mid 1990s to have her baby. The 8th amendment happened in 1983. Repealing it still hasnt resolved many issues. There are counties which dont have any GPs offering abortion care. Im not sure why there is so much pretense and denial in this thread.

Rewriting of history? I find myself laughing at the irony of such a claim. That women were completely without any involvement in the development of society. Throughout Irish history, women had the most time with the development of children and later with teenagers. As mothers they could/did influence their children. As wives or girlfriends, they could/did influence their partners. And throughout Irish history, as strong believers in Christianity, they sought to reinforce the social/cultural structures that sought to limit the behavior of people. It find it hilarious because most Irish women aren't shrinking violets afraid to express themselves, nor afraid to challenge others.

But... no... women weren't equal. They were excluded from so much in society.. and yet, they had the capacity to influence so much within that society.. and they did. The problem being that they didn't influence it in the manner that's approved in modern times. It's just so much easier to pass responsibility over to the male gender.

Pretense and denial? Haha.. you're cherry picking.

I was born in 1977.. and honestly, by the time I'd reached adulthood, gender equality as a belief, was accepted as the rule for everyone. By the time I left university, laws/regulations to protect women's rights were fully brought in and implemented. It had become a core part of Irish society by that stage, and good luck anyone expressing sexist sentiments (outside of an off-colour joke), unless they were doing so in the absolute sticks.

The last Magdalene laundry closed in 1996, but thankfully at that time very few women and girls were sent there. I don't think they were forced by the parish priest or guards, so your sister's friend was probably sent there by her own family. I'm open to correction on that.

Society was more open to "unmarried mothers" at that stage and many gave birth openly and didn't have their children forcibly removed from their care.

All medical professionals are allowed a conscientious objection if abortion is against their religious or morals values. Is there enough demand to open a dedicated abortion service in these counties? Will some GPs eventually offer this?

It is still possibly to avail of advice, counselling and proceed with an abortion in Ireland.

Our recent past is indeed shameful, but many people at the time endorsed it, it wasn't just the church and state. Many norms of the past are anathema to us now, but you can't judge the past through the lens of the present. We have thankfully moved on from that, and we now have full autonomy over our own lives and bodies.

Sure, I get that, but the vast majority of people have access (along with financial supports) to third level education, or apprentice type qualifications, which boosts them far beyond what was available before. We have a society that allows a great degree of social mobility, and the laws to protect the rights of people for employment.

The myth of social mobility has always been something of a comfort to liberal ideologues tbh, those people who could afford to point out that the vast majority of people have access to all these opportunities, which ignores much of the reality that while the opportunities are there, they really don’t amount to much more than virtue signaling tokenism and an annual photo op in mainstream media for the traveller girl who graduated from Trinity with a degree in the study her own “oppression” :D Historically, that was called “taking the soup”. Although such initiatives are always a relatively inexpensive advertisement to attract students of a more liberal bent, they don’t actually do a whole lot for the class of people whom they are purporting to enable in becoming upwardly mobile. Precisely because the two social groups have fundamentally different sets of values.

As for society itself, and how people perceive the place of women... I can't imagine it's more than an extreme minority of people (and likely quite old) who feel that women shouldn't have equality with men. Our society has shifted considerably about the place of gender in both general life, and employment. The loss/removal of religion as a constraining influence has guaranteed this.

It’s not an extreme minority of old people though, as difficult as that may be for some people to imagine. In reality, outside of academia (and Boards, where people are far more civil in how they express themselves :D), it’s quite obvious that the vast majority of people, both women and men, conform to the social roles which are expected of them. It’s not perceived as inequality, nor is it portrayed as inequality, it’s just an expectation, or rather - different expectations (parents start with great expectations of their children’s social mobility, before idealistic expectations give way to reality). Religion was never anything more than a handy smokescreen for individuals moral authority, a smokescreen which has been somewhat replaced by the smokescreen of identity politics in which moral authority is vested in a different sort of crowd sourcing of moral authority, enabled by the proliferation of immediate validation on social media.

That’s why for example feminism as “intersectional” is enjoying something of a resurgence in Western society, perpetuated by tech billionaires such as Melinda Gates, Safra Catz, Sheryl Sandberg and of course CEO of YouTube - Susan Wojcicki. There’s no question that they are where they are not due to any particular shift in attitudes towards women in business or tech or STEM or anything else. They are where they are because of their coming from wealthy backgrounds which enabled not just greater opportunities for better education, but also enabled access to actual social mobility and opportunities in employment. Their positions had feckall to do with feminism or encouraging more women to become €30k a year code monkeys. That’s the sort of thing they like to tell people though, because it sounds good (or rather, morally justifiable in a “pulled themselves up by their bootstraps by overcoming adversity” sort of way) - it perpetuates a belief in the system of merit - that if one wants it badly enough, and works hard enough, their place in the C-suite awaits.

We've moved on. Oh, sure, there will be some people with outdated ideas, but they're going to be a minority. We've had the conditioning for decades, through education, media, politics, etc all to present us with the belief that women should be "free"... It's not a process that's still continuing.. it's something ingrained in our society now.

They’re hardly outdated idea though klaz when social stereotypes for both men and women persist, perpetuated by both men and women. For all the conditioning that some people have been exposed to through education, media, politics, etc, it’s a belief that just doesn’t map to reality.

The myth of social mobility has always been something of a comfort to liberal ideologues tbh, those people who could afford to point out that the vast majority of people have access to all these opportunities, which ignores much of the reality that while the opportunities are there, they really don’t amount to much more than virtue signaling tokenism and an annual photo op in mainstream media for the traveller girl who graduated from Trinity with a degree in the study her own “oppression” :D Historically, that was called “taking the soup”. Although such initiatives are always a relatively inexpensive advertisement to attract students of a more liberal bent, they don’t actually do a whole lot for the class of people whom they are purporting to enable in becoming upwardly mobile. Precisely because the two social groups have fundamentally different sets of values.

I'm from the Athlone (which was never a wealthy town while I was there), and virtually all of my leaving cert classmates went to college/university, whereas their parents didn't. The few students who didn't, went straight into farming or the Army, since their parents were already embedded.

That's the shift in social mobility. The availability of education which provides those opportunities to break the cycle of what areas their parents/grandparents did, because there was no other choice.
    It’s not an extreme minority of old people though, as difficult as that may be for some people to imagine. In reality, outside of academia (and Boards, where people are far more civil in how they express themselves :D), it’s quite obvious that the vast majority of people, both women and men, conform to the social roles which are expected of them. It’s not perceived as inequality, nor is it portrayed as inequality, it’s just an expectation, or rather - different expectations (parents start with great expectations of their children’s social mobility, before idealistic expectations give way to reality). Religion was never anything more than a handy smokescreen for individuals moral authority, a smokescreen which has been somewhat replaced by the smokescreen of identity politics in which moral authority is vested in a different sort of crowd sourcing of moral authority, enabled by the proliferation of immediate validation on social media.

Yup. Irish people love to conform... I'd accept that.. and the social conditioning is that equality is here. Which Irish people have conformed to.
    That’s why for example feminism as “intersectional” is enjoying something of a resurgence in Western society,<snip>

Sorry, you're going off on a tangent that I don't see relating to my post.
    They’re hardly outdated idea though klaz when social stereotypes for both men and women persist, perpetuated by both men and women. For all the conditioning that some people have been exposed to through education, media, politics, etc, it’s a belief that just doesn’t map to reality.

Strange, because society and the law have done a rather good job at ensuring that social change is implemented and accepted. Try openly discriminating against women in this country, and what do you think would happen? Oh, sure, some people might take it, but the vast majority wouldn't.. because they know that they have protections in place to help.. not that I think that most people would even attempt it, because there's no value in doing so.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,687 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Rewriting of history? I find myself laughing at the irony of such a claim. That women were completely without any involvement in the development of society. Throughout Irish history, women had the most time with the development of children and later with teenagers. As mothers they could/did influence their children. As wives or girlfriends, they could/did influence their partners. And throughout Irish history, as strong believers in Christianity, they sought to reinforce the social/cultural structures that sought to limit the behavior of people. It find it hilarious because most Irish women aren't shrinking violets afraid to express themselves, nor afraid to challenge others.

But... no... women weren't equal. They were excluded from so much in society.. and yet, they had the capacity to influence so much within that society.. and they did. The problem being that they didn't influence it in the manner that's approved in modern times. It's just so much easier to pass responsibility over to the male gender.

Pretense and denial? Haha.. you're cherry picking.

I was born in 1977.. and honestly, by the time I'd reached adulthood, gender equality as a belief, was accepted as the rule for everyone. By the time I left university, laws/regulations to protect women's rights were fully brought in and implemented. It had become a core part of Irish society by that stage, and good luck anyone expressing sexist sentiments (outside of an off-colour joke), unless they were doing so in the absolute sticks.

So, what you're saying is, it's just 20 years since Ireland got to a place where equality laws were fully brought in.

If that is the case, then it at least 50% of the population grew up in a time before this was the case and aside from what was written in the statute books isn't it likely that there was still an inherent sexism which people maybe didn't realise as such but that 'that was just how things were' when it came to what was considered normal. I was talking to an aunt before the 2016 US election and she said she thought Hillary shouldn't even be running because 'men are better at that sort of thing'. And going on your approximate timeframe, the point could be made that virtually every manager, supervisor, board member, director in companies in Ireland were raised and educated in a time before there were laws preventing discrimination and if this is the case, do you not think there is a likelihood of many of these holding prejudices which have influenced their views in their roles?

On one of the other 'feminists should just go away' threads a couple weeks ago I gave the example of when my sister, a chartered engineer, was told at work that she was doing very well 'for a woman'. Now, she didn't get too upset about it, but it did concern her as to how she was viewed in her company and in industry as a whole irrespective of what laws are in place.
    And this is why I think gender quotas are suggested, and used, in some locations, seeing women in certain positions needs to be normalized so that young girls can aspire to holding those roles themselves in future or at least that they don't see them as being a boys club that they have to work extra hard to break in to. And so that those in the roles are not considered as to whether they are good at their job genuinely, or inspite of the fact that they are a woman.

One final point, again on one of the previous threads, someone was keen to point out that they appreciated the work done by previous feminists but think that modern day ones have no cause for complaint. As with the path of civil rights, those against them, at whatever phase in history use similar dismissive rhetoric about the modern day advocates while saying that they had no issue with the advocates that came before. The pretense being, 'what more could you want' at each particular stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭growleaves

...aside from what was written in the statute books isn't it likely that there was still an inherent sexism which people maybe didn't realise as such but that 'that was just how things were' when it came to what was considered normal. I was talking to an aunt before the 2016 US election and she said she thought Hillary shouldn't even be running because 'men are better at that sort of thing'.

What is to stop someone from holding that opinion 500 years from now?

growleaves wrote: »
    What is to stop someone from holding that opinion 500 years from now?

500+ years of evidence of women holding such roles.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭growleaves

500+ years of evidence of women holding such roles.

We already have 500 years of evidence. Elizabeth I, Isabella of Castile, Queen Anne, Queen Mary, Maria Theresa of Austria, Catherine the Great, Indira Gandhi, Margaret Thatcher, Golda Meir etc., etc.

All effective leaders except for Isabella of Castile. Many more examples if you look for them.

But you can't fully control for people's thoughts, that's why leftism is always incomplete.

So, what you're saying is, it's just 20 years since Ireland got to a place where equality laws were fully brought in.

If that is the case, then it at least 50% of the population grew up in a time before this was the case and aside from what was written in the statute books isn't it likely that there was still an inherent sexism which people maybe didn't realise as such but that 'that was just how things were' when it came to what was considered normal. I was talking to an aunt before the 2016 US election and she said she thought Hillary shouldn't even be running because 'men are better at that sort of thing'. And going on your approximate timeframe, the point could be made that virtually every manager, supervisor, board member, director in companies in Ireland were raised and educated in a time before there were laws preventing discrimination and if this is the case, do you not think there is a likelihood of many of these holding prejudices which have influenced their views in their roles?

I'm struggling to understand what your point is and how it counters what I said.

Of course, there will be bias after laws/regulations are implemented. Society needs time to catch up, and for older groups to die off.. but it's also worth considering the impact of the internet/social media in distributing the message of social change in ways that may not have been available for older people.

In any case, I don't really see where you're going with this.
    On one of the other 'feminists should just go away' threads a couple weeks ago I gave the example of when my sister, a chartered engineer, was told at work that she was doing very well 'for a woman'. Now, she didn't get too upset about it, but it did concern her as to how she was viewed in her company and in industry as a whole irrespective of what laws are in place.

Okay... and? Oh, I get that you wrote more, but.. they don't seem all that connected to each other.
    And this is why I think gender quotas are suggested, and used, in some locations, seeing women in certain positions needs to be normalized so that young girls can aspire to holding those roles themselves in future or at least that they don't see them as being a boys club that they have to work extra hard to break in to. And so that those in the roles are not considered as to whether they are good at their job genuinely, or inspite of the fact that they are a woman.

So, you would normalise the presence of women in roles by shoehorning them into those roles, bypassing all the competition, and metrics to show someone is suitable for that role? Quotas seek to break away from the most suitable person for the job, and replace it with the most suitable woman for the job.
    One final point, again on one of the previous threads, someone was keen to point out that many were against the suffragettes in the early 20th century. As with the path of civil rights, those against them, at whatever phase in history use similar dismissive rhetoric about the modern day advocates while saying that they had no issue with the advocates that came before. The pretense being, 'what more could you want' at each particular stage.

Yes, I pointed out on this thread, that many women campaigned against the suffragettes, as a sign that many women didn't want these social changes, and were happy with the previous system.

As for the rest of that paragraph. Huh? No, seriously. What?

I'm struggling to understand what your point is and how it counters what I said.

Of course, there will be bias after laws/regulations are implemented. Society needs time to catch up, and for older groups to die off.. but it's also worth considering the impact of the internet/social media in distributing the message of social change in ways that may not have been available for older people.

In any case, I don't really see where you're going with this.

Okay... and? Oh, I get that you wrote more, but.. they don't seem all that connected to each other.

So, you would normalise the presence of women in roles by shoehorning them into those roles, bypassing all the competition, and metrics to show someone is suitable for that role? Quotas seek to break away from the most suitable person for the job, and replace it with the most suitable woman for the job.

Yes, I pointed out on this thread, that many women campaigned against the suffragettes, as a sign that many women didn't want these social changes, and were happy with the previous system.

As for the rest of that paragraph. Huh? No, seriously. What?

Maybe take some time to read and think about it before responding with so much saying that you don't understand it. It's quite straightforward.

Society needing time to catch up needs people in that timeframe to actively call for the implementation of change so that the change is real and not something which just stays on the statute books.

As recently as 2015 a Galway university professor had to bring a case to the WRC because she had been unduly overlooked for promotion on several occasions. There seemed to be a practice of hiring the same type of people for roles as had always been in them. An investigation resulted in other females being promoted who had previously lost out on such roles. It is cases like that, in my view, that has directly influenced the creation of women only professorships.

Maybe take some time to read and think about it before responding with so much saying that you don't understand it. It's quite straightforward.

I did, and no, it wasn't. Hence my response(s).
    It is cases like that, in my view, that has directly influenced the creation of women only professorships.

So, in your eyes, reacting to discrimination justifies reverse discrimination.

I couldn't disagree more.

• Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭purifol0

As recently as 2015 a Galway university professor had to bring a case to the WRC because she had been unduly overlooked for promotion on several occasions. There seemed to be a practice of hiring the same type of people for roles as had always been in them. An investigation resulted in other females being promoted who had previously lost out on such roles. It is cases like that, in my view, that has directly influenced the creation of women only professorships.

Just my take, this was just the excuse that was needed to bring about more feminists in places of power. It never stood to reason that the solution to discrimination was more discrimination and judging by the comments online at the time absolutely no one was OK with it. But it went ahead with no establishment pushback and that would mean that the takeover is coming along nicely.

If you told me ten years ago that I'd be straight faced alleging a feminist takeover of Irelands 3rd level insutites and public & civil service...I dunno, and yet lets look what our undemocratic Citizens Assemble recommends in todays Irish Times

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/catherine-day-importance-of-care-key-citizens-assembly-theme-1.4547104
    "Gender balance

The assembly is calling for funding of public bodies to be contingent on reaching a 40 per cent gender balance by 2025 and legally requiring private companies over a certain size to have at least 40 per cent gender balance on their boards."

"members also voted by 96 per cent to declare their willingness, if necessary, to support and pay higher taxes to make a reality of their recommendations"

The comments are worth a read.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭EddieN75

purifol0 wrote: »
    Just my take, this was just the excuse that was needed to bring about more feminists in places of power. It never stood to reason that the solution to discrimination was more discrimination and judging by the comments online at the time absolutely no one was OK with it. But it went ahead with no establishment pushback and that would mean that the takeover is coming along nicely.

If you told me ten years ago that I'd be straight faced alleging a feminist takeover of Irelands 3rd level insutites and public & civil service...I dunno, and yet lets look what our undemocratic Citizens Assemble recommends in todays Irish Times

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/catherine-day-importance-of-care-key-citizens-assembly-theme-1.4547104
    "Gender balance

The assembly is calling for funding of public bodies to be contingent on reaching a 40 per cent gender balance by 2025 and legally requiring private companies over a certain size to have at least 40 per cent gender balance on their boards."

"members also voted by 96 per cent to declare their willingness, if necessary, to support and pay higher taxes to make a reality of their recommendations"

Are the comments also subscriber only?

purifol0 wrote: »

"Gender balance

Will read that shortly. But in the meantime, does aiming for 40% gender balance equate to a feminist takeover?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

As recently as 2015 a Galway university professor had to bring a case to the WRC because she had been unduly overlooked for promotion on several occasions.
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/nui-galway-ordered-to-promote-lecturer-overlooked-over-gender-1.2004689
    Dr Sheehy Skeffington, a lecturer in the school of botany since 1990, had complained that three successful male candidates had significantly less than the minimum requirement of contact hours with students and yet got a higher score than her under the interview’s “Teaching and Examining” heading.
    It's good she fought and won. Must be infuriating to be side-lined like that over and over.

Advertisement