Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dilema - Give notice or renew

Options
  • 24-04-2021 4:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭

Hi Folks,

Just looking for some advice. Currently an accidental landlord who has house rented via the council on RAS for a number of years. Lease is up for renewal with council and house needs a bit of work to pass council inspection again..

My dilemma is I want to sell and tenants need 224 days notice. So do I

1). Bite the bullet now and not renew lease with council and give tenants notice now. Then do minimum to keep tenants happy till They leave before getting ready to sell. Only issue is I suspect tenants will go into arrears without council support.

2). Do up the house now as per council, a lot of the stuff will be needed for sale prep anyway. Then after I have lease give tenants notice that way I’m guaranteed rent from council. Just pushes out sale a few months and once tenants get notice God knows what they will do to the property..

Any advice appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,115 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

You say yourself that the tenants are likely to cause damage when they get notice so why on earth would you do the place up before you give notice. Give notice now and sell.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭kevgaa

Caranica wrote: »
    You say yourself that the tenants are likely to cause damage when they get notice so why on earth would you do the place up before you give notice. Give notice now and sell.

Thanks, yeah I’m probably a little disrespectful of the tenants and thinking the worse case scenario. They are far from model tenants especially around cleanliness upkeep but not malicious. They expect everything e.g wanted new carpets cuz daughter has asthma and they were dusty. Reason for dust was lack of vacuuming. They have never done anything to the house over the years.

Another question, under tenants RAS contract will they be liable for full rent during notice period if I do t renew my lease with council?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

kevgaa wrote: »
    Just looking for some advice. Currently an accidental landlord who has house rented via the council on RAS for a number of years. Lease is up for renewal with council and house needs a bit of work to pass council inspection again..
    Was the tenant there before you started RAS, and if not, check the agreement if you get the property back as vacant if you do not renew the RAS lease?

the_syco wrote: »
    Was the tenant there before you started RAS, and if not, check the agreement if you get the property back as vacant if you do not renew the RAS lease?

Thanks, yes tenant was in place before RAS started. I’ll have to dig out the contract and check but I assume I will still need to serve notice and the council have that period to find them alternative accommodation or does the tenant lose their RAS status once the landlord stops?

Also who is responsible for the rent during the notice period? Tenant or Council?

Anyone familiar with the RAS details?

Regards
    Kevgaa

• Registered Users Posts: 3,993 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Thanks, yes tenant was in place before RAS started. I’ll have to dig out the contract and check but I assume I will still need to serve notice and the council have that period to find them alternative accommodation or does the tenant lose their RAS status once the landlord stops?

Also who is responsible for the rent during the notice period? Tenant or Council?

Anyone familiar with the RAS details?

Regards
    Kevgaa

RAS is between the tennant and social welfare, do you have a contract with the council?

If the tenants filed to keep the place clean and as a result you now have to do work to meet council standards then I'd tell the council to pay for it assuming you have a contract with them?

Offer the council a one year contract extension, do the minimum work required but at a higher rent and give the tenant 365 days notice.

Sell it this time next year. If they say no give 224 days and start the process, if they don't pay give 14 days notice of arrears then 28 days then get them out and sell sooner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Ask the council do they want to switch to the LTL scheme.
    If they say yes tell them to do any extras they want done.
    If you dont get that Id sell up and get out.
    Property rental is not for the little guy anymore.
    It will only end in tears.

JimmyVik wrote: »
    Ask the council do they want to switch to the LTL scheme.
    If they say yes tell them to do any extras they want done.
    If you dont get that Id sell up and get out.
    Property rental is not for the little guy anymore.
    It will only end in tears.

Thanks, have made up my mind to get out so I will give my tenants notice on Friday. Anyone know the process with the council once I give notice?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,515 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Tell the council the tenancy can remain under part 4. That’s what I did. They should just accept that.

Thanks,

Did the council continue to pay you while the tenants served notice or did the full rent fall back on the tenant?

How did it work out for you? Did the tenant leave ok?

Regards
    Kevgaa

Hi folks,

thanks for all the advice. i have decided to get out and have issued notice to my tenants and informed the council I will not be renewing my lease.

The issue I have is the tenant reported a few things to the council with poetic license mind you. She never reported them to me... they are all minor enough and I will resolve no problem..

However one is the wooden floor in the kitchen which the tenant destroyed by putting in a chest freezer without my permission which leaked and destroyed the floor.

The issue is the council are insisting I rectify it even tho I am not renewing the lease and have given the tenants notice due to selling. the plan is to fix the floor before I sell but not while the tenants are in situ.

what are my options?

regards
    Kevgaa

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Hi folks,

thanks for all the advice. i have decided to get out and have issued notice to my tenants and informed the council I will not be renewing my lease.

The issue I have is the tenant reported a few things to the council with poetic license mind you. She never reported them to me... they are all minor enough and I will resolve no problem..

However one is the wooden floor in the kitchen which the tenant destroyed by putting in a chest freezer without my permission which leaked and destroyed the floor.

The issue is the council are insisting I rectify it even tho I am not renewing the lease and have given the tenants notice due to selling. the plan is to fix the floor before I sell but not while the tenants are in situ.

what are my options?

regards
    Kevgaa

Why would you give someone who has wrecked a floor a new one in the last months of their tenancy - so they have something new to wreck?
    Just drag it out.
    Tell the council you cant get anyone yet due to covid. Eventually in a few months tell them you have someone booked. He is starting the job in 8 weeks from then. When the 8 weeks is up just tell them you have to get someone else as that guy pulled out.
    Keep going like that til the tenant is gone. Then get your floor fixed.

Advertisement