Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Raised bed against boundry wall

Options
  • 24-04-2021 9:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭

Looking to build a raised bed between the edge of the patio area and the boundry wall. I've no idea why there was a gap left there, it was like that when we bought the house, so trying to make good use of it.

I've got 3 lengths of marcocarpa wood 3m x 12x2", one of which you can see in the following pics of the area. Untreated, and I'm planning to use danish oil so that there isn't anything that can leach into the soil. Expect to have cat grass and maybe some wildflowers at the other end, but might be nice to be able to plant some herbs there as well without needing to worry about what they might absorb. I appreciate some of the questions I have may have to be redirected towards the DIY and/or woodcraft forums.

ND6mV3C.jpg?1

3nGrmJz.jpg?1

I was originally thinking of making it box like and running some along the boundry wall at the back. Now thinking it might work better stacking them two high and making it a little deeper, and just bolting the end pieces directly to boundry wall. Is there any concern about weight here, any risk to the wall?

To use the boundary wall, do I need to seal it first? I'm guessing otherwise it'll end up growing mold on the neighbours side? Any recommendations for something?

Similarly where the wood will now be bolted to the walls, do I need to seal to prevent leakage there?

For the fixtures/fittings:
    * Stainless steel brackets alright? https://www.screwfix.ie/p/sabrefix-heavy-duty-angle-brackets-stainless-60-x-50mm-10-pack/78409
    * Or better cutting some additional 2x2 stakes from the end of the lengths of wood and screwing them to the wall and the end pieces on the inner side low enough to be hidden by the soil?
    * Long decking screws (better check in woodcraft on these?) https://www.screwfix.ie/p/timbascrew-flange-timber-screws-silver-6-7-x-150mm-50-pack/9236j

At the base I'm thinking of routing a small lip so the back of the wood overhangs the edges and sits a small step lower than the wrong so any water running down the back should drain into the ground rather than try to seep out along the patio tiles. Is that sufficient? Or do I need to use something water proof at the back of the wood to ensure excess water drains off into the ground below.

Hoping to creating a small bench piece in the middle similar to the following to finish it off nicely, hence going 2 pieces deep:
    7acc88b853695187685526c990749292.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭rje66

Looking to build a raised bed between the edge of the patio area and the boundry wall. I've no idea why there was a gap left there, it was like that when we bought the house, so trying to make good use of it.

I've got 3 lengths of marcocarpa wood 3m x 12x2", one of which you can see in the following pics of the area. Untreated, and I'm planning to use danish oil so that there isn't anything that can leach into the soil. Expect to have cat grass and maybe some wildflowers at the other end, but might be nice to be able to plant some herbs there as well without needing to worry about what they might absorb. I appreciate some of the questions I have may have to be redirected towards the DIY and/or woodcraft forums.

ND6mV3C.jpg?1

3nGrmJz.jpg?1

I was originally thinking of making it box like and running some along the boundry wall at the back. Now thinking it might work better stacking them two high and making it a little deeper, and just bolting the end pieces directly to boundry wall. Is there any concern about weight here, any risk to the wall?

To use the boundary wall, do I need to seal it first? I'm guessing otherwise it'll end up growing mold on the neighbours side? Any recommendations for something?

Similarly where the wood will now be bolted to the walls, do I need to seal to prevent leakage there?

For the fixtures/fittings:
    * Stainless steel brackets alright? https://www.screwfix.ie/p/sabrefix-heavy-duty-angle-brackets-stainless-60-x-50mm-10-pack/78409
    * Or better cutting some additional 2x2 stakes from the end of the lengths of wood and screwing them to the wall and the end pieces on the inner side low enough to be hidden by the soil?
    * Long decking screws (better check in woodcraft on these?) https://www.screwfix.ie/p/timbascrew-flange-timber-screws-silver-6-7-x-150mm-50-pack/9236j

At the base I'm thinking of routing a small lip so the back of the wood overhangs the edges and sits a small step lower than the wrong so any water running down the back should drain into the ground rather than try to seep out along the patio tiles. Is that sufficient? Or do I need to use something water proof at the back of the wood to ensure excess water drains off into the ground below.

Hoping to creating a small bench piece in the middle similar to the following to finish it off nicely, hence going 2 pieces deep:
    7acc88b853695187685526c990749292.jpg

In short, you are probably overthinking things. Just knock it together, make sure it's solid, fill with soil, plant it up and sit back and enjoy it with a glass of whatever you like. But I would put a damp proof membrane between soil and wood and sit the wood on a free draining material.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭electrofelix

Thanks, when you say a free draining material, presumably that means not directly on the patio tiles?

So something just underneath that allows any water to drain away or move it so only 1" sits on the tiles and 1" over the bed?

Otherwise I'm not sure what would support the weight of the bench part which I assumed could sink down and pull on the wall

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭rje66

Thanks, when you say a free draining material, presumably that means not directly on the patio tiles?

So something just underneath that allows any water to drain away or move it so only 1" sits on the tiles and 1" over the bed?

Otherwise I'm not sure what would support the weight of the bench part which I assumed could sink down and pull on the wall

Basically any timber that would be in a situation where damp periods would be prolonged should be avoided. For the first row of timber just sit it in 804 just in line with patio slabs. The fact it's on 804 drainage shouldn't be an issue. For xtra peace of mind you
    could tack on a strip of DPC and even xxxtra peace of mind before you do this paint the bottom with Larsens wood preservative or something similar

Advertisement