Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seedlings vs. snails and slugs

Options
  • 25-04-2021 12:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭

My carefully-tended vegetable seedlings were quickly demolished by slugs or snails after transplanting to the veg patch, just a few silvery trails left to show the culprits. Have also had the same issue with bedding plants. I don't mind some losses, but complete destruction is very annoying.

Any suggestions on organic ways to manage this? Thinking of using copper as a deterant, but reading conflicting reports on how well this works. I'm only planting small numbers of seedlings, so per-plant protection is feasible.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭lukegriffen

It's really demoralising . I put down seedlings 5 days ago & every night I go & put yogurt pots over each one, then in morning take them off, its a good way of knowing how many survived the night ;) But that will only work for so long. Beer in a tray , copper tape are deterrents, broken eggshells, coffee grinds, going out after 10pm with a torch, especially if damp , and pick up all the offenders & if you've a field/park nearby , bring them down there & let them loose.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 pat2167

First two batches of hardy seedlings were destroyed this year. I've tried shells, coffee grinds and beer traps with very little results. Seedlings that were covered with plastic bottles as cloches lasted longer but then slugs found those too by crawling underneath. The situation much much improved since we've started collecting them in the evenings. I'm also testing nematode slug brew at the moment that could be helping to reduce the slug number. https://www.telegraph.co.uk/gardening/gardeningequipment/8675592/The-war-on-slugs-starts-at-home.html

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭mattcullen

pat2167 wrote: »
    First two batches of hardy seedlings were destroyed this year. I've tried shells, coffee grinds and beer traps with very little results. Seedlings that were covered with plastic bottles as cloches lasted longer but then slugs found those too by crawling underneath. The situation much much improved since we've started collecting them in the evenings. I'm also testing nematode slug brew at the moment that could be helping to reduce the slug number. https://www.telegraph.co.uk/gardening/gardeningequipment/8675592/The-war-on-slugs-starts-at-home.html

It's an ongoing battle. I find gathering as many as you can helps . A wet night is ideal. Also in daytime under pots etc. Today I collected about 40 of them under piles of stones we have.

I think having a neat growing area wiit as little tImber , rocks etc around for them to hide under should help.

We also put down the organic pellets in spring.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,100 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Saw someone on FB putting cotton wool around the edges of their pots etc. Said it worked!

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭SnowyMuckish

Saw someone on FB putting cotton wool around the edges of their pots etc. Said it worked!

I used organic pellets last year, they expanded and turned out to be wool, can’t remember the brand name now.

This year I had some divided delphiniums in a cold frame that were being devoured. When I lifted the pots out there were giant snails attached. So I tried something new...

I came across ‘Ecofective’ slug defense. It looks to be grinded pumice rock and the product claims to be wildlife and pet friendly. (Although no mention of organic on the box.) Seems to be working so far, I’m finally beginning to see green shoots again!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

I've tried all sorts,,, lately The most effective thing I've tried ;

I have a small plank of wood that I lay in the garden, rotating it to different spots every night.
    Every morning I lift it and uncover anything from 2 to 10 slugs, all different sizes. Most encouraging is that there are plenty of very small baby slugs under it.
    I scoop them up and lob them into a nearby field.
    Job done, easy, safe and repeatable.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭ellee

Aren't the snails mad though. They've never attacked my delphiniums. Hostas suffer every year obviously. And this year they attacked my ligularia which I thought was a bit random. I planted lobelias at the weekend, I'm nearly afraid t go out and look!

I've purchased those sheep wool pellet thingys and thrown them around everywhere. Fingers crossed as I'd like to avoid using the pellets.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

One excellent way is to part fill eg empty cat food tine ( or similar tins ) with water and eg jam . They climb in and drown . Only my rescue cats will not leave the tins alone. I do now use pellets.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

I've tried all sorts,,, lately The most effective thing I've tried ;

I have a small plank of wood that I lay in the garden, rotating it to different spots every night.
    Every morning I lift it and uncover anything from 2 to 10 slugs, all different sizes. Most encouraging is that there are plenty of very small baby slugs under it.
    I scoop them up and lob them into a nearby field.
    Job done, easy, safe and repeatable.

Yes great .

Advertisement