Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New park in Haulbowline

Options
  • 25-04-2021 6:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 11,053 ✭✭✭✭

Was there for first time properly yesterday, it's a lovely spot. Does anyone know what the opening times are though? I did a Google but could only find comment that says it closes at 4:30pm, with summer hours to be announced. I was there yesterday evening around 6ish, and there was a (very small) sign that said it closes at 7. My buddy was there around 8 last night though, so no idea if they ever close the gates...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭PreCocious

dulpit wrote: »
    Was there for first time properly yesterday, it's a lovely spot. Does anyone know what the opening times are though? I did a Google but could only find comment that says it closes at 4:30pm, with summer hours to be announced. I was there yesterday evening around 6ish, and there was a (very small) sign that said it closes at 7. My buddy was there around 8 last night though, so no idea if they ever close the gates...

I was there last week and left after seven and there didn't seem to be any closure activity. The week before I was in Cobh and I could see people in the park around 8.

Not much help to you but like yourself I tried to find out the times and tweeted the council without success.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,053 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

PreCocious wrote: »
    I was there last week and left after seven and there didn't seem to be any closure activity. The week before I was in Cobh and I could see people in the park around 8.

Not much help to you but like yourself I tried to find out the times and tweeted the council without success.

Was there this morning at about 08:45. The sign says it opens at 9am. Was open already, few cars already parked.

Seems to be a bit of a mystery. But nice park.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

I was there a few weeks ago and was talking to the security guy who was there to lock up so they definitely lock the gates. The opening/closing signs are clearly visible but maybe the times are not strictly adhered to yet.
    The security lad I was talking to was from a private firm who just drives up and opens/closes, there is no one from the council involved yet it seems.

The factory site is next for remediation, wonder when/if it'll happen

Wasn't there talks of a seasonal pontoon bridge over to Spike, its close to Haulbowline

• Registered Users Posts: 17,038 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

The factory site is next for remediation, wonder when/if it'll happen

Wasn't there talks of a seasonal pontoon bridge over to Spike, its close to Haulbowline

I'd say the ferry operators would block that if they can.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,292 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

It's part of the Spike Island masterplan to have a bridge/pontoon/causeway from Ringaskiddy and Haulbowline over to Spike. It's years (decades) away, but not sure how ferry operators could block that. They could make a planning submission alright but couldn't "block" it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭Mav11

namloc1980 wrote: »
    It's part of the Spike Island masterplan to have a bridge/pontoon/causeway from Ringaskiddy and Haulbowline over to Spike. It's years (decades) away, but not sure how ferry operators could block that. They could make a planning submission alright but couldn't "block" it.

The idea of building a bridge was looked at by Irish Prisons in the mid 2000's, it was very expensive then, which I suspect was part of the reason for closing it as a prison. I can't imagine that it has got any cheaper since.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Dbu

Whats the distance around? is it suitable for jogging?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,007 ✭✭✭opus

The highly anticipated recreational area will be a welcome addition for the Cork Harbour region and in particular for residents of Ringaskiddy. Haulbowline Amenity Park includes 4km of harbour side walkways, a 1km jogging circuit and numerous seating areas to stop and take in the views of Cork Harbour. The park has also been extensively landscaped with over 200 trees, wildflower areas and is rich with biodiversity and wildlife.

https://www.corkcoco.ie/en/news/ringaskiddy-residents-welcome-opening-haulbowline-amenity-park

A friend of mine went there for a run soon after it opened but won't be going back as way too busy they said.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭ShaneOC

Dbu wrote: »
    Whats the distance around? is it suitable for jogging?

The biggest circuit is just about 1km.

• Advertisement

Mav11 wrote: »
    The idea of building a bridge was looked at by Irish Prisons in the mid 2000's, it was very expensive then, which I suspect was part of the reason for closing it as a prison. I can't imagine that it has got any cheaper since.

A bridge for a prison would make very little economic sense. A bridge for a world class tourist attraction would make much more sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭Mav11

namloc1980 wrote: »
    A bridge for a prison would make very little economic sense. A bridge for a world class tourist attraction would make much more sense.

Dead right on the bridge for a prison, hence the closing of Spike as same. Not too sure about the sense to support a tourist attraction. Is it not part of the attraction that it is on an island, that you need to get a boat to? Bit like Alcatraz! Kids and others love that kind of stuff.

Mav11 wrote: »
    Dead right on the bridge for a prison, hence the closing of Spike as same. Not too sure about the sense to support a tourist attraction. Is it not part of the attraction that it is on an island, that you need to get a boat to? Bit like Alcatraz! Kids and others love that kind of stuff.

From the masterplan it wouldn't replace the ferry. It would compliment it. Anyone who wants to get the ferry could continue to do so. Anyway it's not likely to happen any time soon, if ever. Like everything else, there's plenty of plans on paper, but no money to implement those plans.

Is the ferry not ran by (on behalf of) the Council by Doyles?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,394 ✭✭✭ofcork

Was there on monday lovely spot alright toilets locked for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,053 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

ofcork wrote: »
    Was there on monday lovely spot alright toilets locked for some reason.

Apparently not finished yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭EnzoScifo

It's an historical remnant, but bizarrely Haulbowline is part of the Cobh municipal district. This means that the Cobh office runs operations in the park despite it being a 25 minute or so drive around the harbour to reach the place. This has lead to a reluctance of Cobh to start full operation or invest properly in bins etc. This arrangement goes back to before Haulbowline was linked to Ringaskiddy by bridge and the British navy used it.

I think various Carrigaline district councillors are calling for it to be annexed by Carrigaline MD so the services can be better maintained. Would make a lot more sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

EnzoScifo wrote: »
    It's an historical remnant, but bizarrely Haulbowline is part of the Cobh municipal district. This means that the Cobh office runs operations in the park despite it being a 25 minute or so drive around the harbour to reach the place. This has lead to a reluctance of Cobh to start full operation or invest properly in bins etc. This arrangement goes back to before Haulbowline was linked to Ringaskiddy by bridge and the British navy used it.

I think various Carrigaline district councillors are calling for it to be annexed by Carrigaline MD so the services can be better maintained. Would make a lot more sense.
    The lack of bins is nothing to do with it being in the cobh area.

The CEO of Cork County Council is on record stating he doesnt believe in providing bins in public areas and they do enough already and they arent spending more.

EnzoScifo wrote: »

Out in the park for first time today.
    Small, but nice. Lovely views of the harbour and Cobh.

There's signs to say contact Carrigaline Area office for assistance etc. I wonder have they changed supervision from Cobh.

Advertisement