Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2021 Boards PW Draft - The Slammies

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Necro wrote: »
    It’s hard luck to MNG again, having to settle for second place two years running now unfortunately.

AcNeMo.gif

Congrats, beakerjoe. The amount of slammies you picked up is a testament to how well you connected with the readers.

Pleased to have been in the mix as I thought there were several good entries this year. I feel Mr. Guappa should have been ahead of me in the write-up category as I was a big fan of his entry this year.

Really enjoyed the game and I notice the next Draft will be the 15th anniversary, so hopefully there will be a strong turnout for that.

Special thanks to Necro for running this again. Best ever organiser of the competition for me and hope he hosts it again next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,009 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

Well done Joe and the other winners. Thanks to Necro for running, an enjoyable experience as always.

Congrats everyone,

I'll eventually get around to reading all entrants. But the ones I did read, as I said to Necro in PM, I'd happily have ye booking RAW.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

200.gif

Firstly thank you so much guys, i honestly wouldnt have minded finishing 5th as I felt Mr G, BH, Necro and MNG all wrote brilliant shows. Id have no issues had I lost to any of those fine submissions.

MNG got my top vote, but for me it was all very close indeed. Loved his Ricky Steamboat turn and the formation of Goldrush. The story of WGTT and the Von Erichs was top notch too, as was his portrayal of Jesse Ventura.

Necro had a fine submission too. A fantastic main event feud of Big E and Hogan following on from the central feud of NWO and New Day. But for me, Trish v Becky stole show and the effort he made was rewarded with excellent results

MR G had a nice central feud with Hollywood Connection dominating his show but also an overlooked Darby making it to the top was so satisfying to read. Bret and Stu showing their true colours certainly shocked me though and cemmented a fine submission.

Bounty Hunter was my 4th place, but honestly there was very little for me between him in 4th and my first choice MNG. Dana and the UFCers vs Vince was a ssmashing core feud but Johnny Garganos rise to fight HBK was magnificent. Like Darby Allin in Mr G, Johnny having his dream snatched from him was a dramatic finish.

The standard was so high this year, great submissions by White Wolf, Walt, Liz, Wrestlemaniac, Brian Regan, Paulie21..... probably the best year ever IMO.

And the draft would be nothing for me without Necro this year. He pushed me to enter last year when I didnt want to and he litertally kept on me. Im gald he did and without him the draft probably would drift away. So big thank you to you. I shall second what BH said that he certainly is the best host we could ever hioe for. His drive and commitment is second to none. Thank you my good friend.

I had a blast this year. I feel Jake was my best creation yet and Im glad so many loved him. Im also a big Walter mark so glad to have him at the forefront.

I really enjoyed my Heath Slater nonsence, I was just trying to shoehorn as many Simpsons references and quotes into a story and it grew from their.

Thank you all for the kind words and I hope you all return next year for the eoic 15th year.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Special thanks to Necro for running this again. Best ever organiser of the competition for me and hope he hosts it again next time.

Winner by a landslide...Necro!

beakerjoe wrote:
    And the draft would be nothing for me without Necro this year. He pushed me to enter last year when I didnt want to and he litertally kept on me. Im gald he did and without him the draft probably would drift away. So big thank you to you. I shall second what BH said that he certainly is the best host we could ever hioe for. His drive and commitment is second to none. Thank you my good friend.

Aww shucks you guys :D

Here I was preparing my post stating I was stepping down from running the draft but... especially given it's the 15th anniversary...

I can go one more year I think.

ONE MORE MATCH!!

How that takes shape I'm not sure yet, I know some want a return to the original format, for ease of write ups I would prefer it however would it come at the cost of losing entrants?

Something maybe we can consider anyways.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Aww shucks you guys :D

Here I was preparing my post stating I was stepping down from running the draft but... especially given it's the 15th anniversary...

I can go one more year I think.

ONE MORE MATCH!!

How that takes shape I'm not sure yet, I know some want a return to the original format, for ease of write ups I would prefer it however would it come at the cost of losing entrants?

I prefer the orginal format but not at a cost of losing entrants.

Happy with the format. Is this our best year for submissions in recent times? Or ever?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

It's a tricky one. On the one hand, I'd rather have more freedom to write, yet on the other hand I know not everyone would have the appetite to read so much.

The previous format might turn players off as we were doing around 4-5 weekly shows, a preview show, and then the PPV. That's a lot to both read and write. I wouldn't favour a return to this if it would put off potential players.

The current format is possibly a bit too limiting, however, with the 1 preview post, followed by the PPV. I wonder is there a happy medium? Perhaps adding one more build-up show. The format could be something like:

1) preview show - explaining your champions, the PPV feuds in place etc.

2) your 'go-home' show - the final TV show before the PPV where you get to do some more matches and set up an angle or two for the PPV.

3) the PPV - the culmination of everything.

Would there be enough interest in adding in an extra show like the above? I agree with beakerjoe that the priority should be having as much participation as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭A Brad Maddox Guy

Big congratulations to Beaker, if writing a song isn't worthy of winning then nothing is!! And I'll echo the thanks to Necro for running another great draft.

As for next year, I'd have no problems with adding a go-home show. I think the original issue that prompted the change was that a lot of people would start but not finish their shows, and then not that many people would end up reading the long ones and submitting their votes. Maybe with interest, submissions and voting seemingly up it could be worth a shot.

If we're looking for a possible reformat this suggestion piggybacks on one somebody made before in the discussion thread about some sort of split. It's just a thought, I'm not strongly advocating for it or anything.

Run the draft as normal but with an extra round at the end, not for making a pick but for submitting a PPV card. Hopefully as everyone is still fully invested at that time you'd get high uptake and a chance to see what ideas shaped the roster. Then at the end of the round we immediately open a voting period to choose the best roster & PPV card you'd most like to watch.

After that we could open up the evaluation thread that lets whoever wishes to take part submit shows under the old 4 shows maximum format. These shows could be to build up to the PPV card, or to build off of that PPV card and up to your next one. Or if you prefer, completely ignore the card you submitted before and start afresh.

So basically, I submit my WrestleRama card as Round 16 in the draft, then write a preview plus 1/2 episodes and then the WrestleRama PPV. Or I submit a Royal Rumble-type build up PPV card as Round 16, then write the fallout of that and buildup to WrestleRama. The voting format then would be the same as it currently is with the Best Write-Ups & Best Overall, but you'll already have your best roster votes done.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,479 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Excellent stuff everyone , apologies to missing the voting stage I have been up in a heap the past few weeks , all worthy winners in all catogories hopefully next year I can make a proper effort :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Run the draft as normal but with an extra round at the end, not for making a pick but for submitting a PPV card. Hopefully as everyone is still fully invested at that time you'd get high uptake and a chance to see what ideas shaped the roster. Then at the end of the round we immediately open a voting period to choose the best roster & PPV card you'd most like to watch.

This.... is definitely worth considering. I like the idea of this actually.

MNG's idea of a third post (go home show) is also a good idea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

I'm pretty happy with the set-up we had this year for the write-up phase. 13/20 people submitted work, which is a great rate, and a further 10 of those submitted more than one post. I may be wrong, but I'd suspect that if additional posts were permitted, probably only 3 or 4 people would take advantage?

On the other side of the coin, more work means more reading and I feel like, again, there was a decent turnout in the voting this year. More material would probably discourage voting, or result in people skimming a bit more? I felt this year that votes were considered and fair, as there was not a mountain of material to plough through.

Just my 2 cents anyway. I was on the fence about signing up this year as I'd just started a new job and was unsure if I'd be able to commit, but things worked out well on all fronts. Thanks to everyone who voted for my stuff - glad you enjoyed it! Thanks again to Necro for running the draft so expertly, and congratulations to beakerjoe - a deserving winner. Hopefully I'll be back next year to put a new name on the trophy :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭wrestlemaniac

Havent been on the last while so just catching up here.

Thanks Necro for running the draft so efficiently, really enjoyed the draft part. Will be participating again.

Re. The write-ups, whatever format is chosen, I'll get something in. How detailed really depends on how busy work is at the time.

Congratulations to beakerjoe - a deserving winner, as would 3 or 4 others.

I'll gladly accept my first slammy on behalf of Fake News, hopefully the first of many in the future

Advertisement