Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ir 850nm or 940nm ?

Options
  • 25-04-2021 10:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭

I am using ATN 4K Pro 3-14x NV scope. The batteries don't last long @ €8-€10 a pair. I'm going to buy a ir LED for my Nightmaster Venom Strike torch which has 18650 rechargable batteries. The question is, do I go for ir 850nm or ir 940nm. I'm not exactly sure what the difference is. I use the scope on my .22 Fac air rifle and my .22LR rifle so from 10yds to 150yds range. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
    T.T.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

I'm only getting into this in the last year or so and am still learning.

From what I've read the 850 nm wavelength is standard for most applications, producing a faint red glow at direct exposure, but it is not visible to the naked eye. While the main advantage of the 940nm wavelength is that it is completely invisible. The 940nm seems to have less range with reduction between 30- 40% of that of a similar unit producing 850 nm.

Last year I was using a Tracer Ledray IR Infrared Illuminator Add On Torch (850 nm) on the digi scope mounted on a .22LR. For rabbits I found it very good and stealthy and have even shot feral pigeons in grain sheds with no issues.
    However since changing over to a .22 centre fire I have just purchased a laser ir illuminator (BSDE Black Sun Dark Engine IR illuminator ) again going for the 850nm because I felt I wasn't getting enough detail with the Tracer .
    The laser is still in transit at the moment but from what is written the Tracer may still be used if I'm out on rabbits as the newer unit may cause wash out at closer ranges. Boots on the ground will tell.

Anyhow plenty of knowledgeable members on here to give us advice. I hope to set up a Mega Thread for Night Vision in the next coming days.

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭The pigeon man

If your quarry isn't spoked by the faint glow of 850nm ir I would go with it. I find that some foxes see it but are more inquisitive than anything. A few squeaks brings them in closer.

Apparently some guys in the UK benefit with 940nm illuminators because some foxes may be shy of 850nm if someone already shot at them with that before. That's not really a problem in Ireland.

My advice would be to go if the 850nm because it'll give you extra range.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭minktrapper

Mega thread for night vision. Now that's a good idea. Maybe subdivide it for IR torchs,scanners, thermal ect..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

I'm using the PARD 008+ with the WRAITH LASER IR 850NM. Easy to get 300m with this setup to see an animal. The PARD 008 will adjust itself to the IR brightness automatically.
    I was using a PBIRX but the Wraith has the better range. I now use this torch with my Gen2 spotter.
    The red glow from the IR torch is viable to fox, deer, and rabbits. They turn towards you when turned on. But usually don't take any notice. The best thing about the Wraith is it has an adjustable rotary swith to adjust the IR output, so I use mine at a reduced IR.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭Czhornet

From what I've read the 850 nm wavelength is standard for most applications, producing a faint red glow at direct exposure, but it is not visible to the naked eye. While the main advantage of the 940nm wavelength is that it is completely invisible. The 940nm seems to have less range with reduction between 30- 40% of that of a similar unit producing 850 nm.

Last year I was using a Tracer Ledray IR Infrared Illuminator Add On Torch (850 nm) on the digi scope mounted on a .22LR. For rabbits I found it very good and stealthy and have even shot feral pigeons in grain sheds with no issues.
    However since changing over to a .22 centre fire I have just purchased a laser ir illuminator (BSDE Black Sun Dark Engine IR illuminator ) again going for the 850nm because I felt I wasn't getting enough detail with the Tracer .
    The laser is still in transit at the moment but from what is written the Tracer may still be used if I'm out on rabbits as the newer unit may cause wash out at closer ranges. Boots on the ground will tell.

Anyhow plenty of knowledgeable members on here to give us advice. I hope to set up a Mega Thread for Night Vision in the next coming days.

You wont be disappointed with the Black Sun, total game changer for distance and even picking up more detail at closer ranges. (my usual hedge 450m away is crystal clear) It has a 3 stage power output, so the power can be reduced if needed. Humans can see the glow from the laser (well I can anyway) and its not at all like a torch, very faint.
    Some foxes can get wise to the faint red glow too and can get agitated when the see it, (obviously have been lamped/shot at before) That is where the 940nm would come in handy but long ranges would be curtailed as a result.
    Haven't seen what output a 940nm can give but if you are getting one get a laser not an LED based emitter. The laser will help to make up for the shortcomings in the distance.

Would love to see a thread on all NV Cookimonster, great idea!

• Advertisement

Czhornet wrote: »
    Humans can see the glow from the laser (well I can anyway) and its not at all like a torch, very faint.

Ahhh, is it noticeable/visible from afar, ie nosy neighbours etc. As well as the hunting benefits I like the idea of being relatively stealthy when out lamping.

Czhornet wrote: »
    Would love to see a thread on all NV Cookimonster, great idea!

Will work on it ASAP, but to be honest it's not my idea it was suggested by a members here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Vizzy

Ahhh, is it noticeable/visible from afar, ie nosy neighbours etc. As well as the hunting benefits I like the idea of being relatively stealthy when out lamping.

I don't think that it is noticeable from afar ( for humans anyway).

The only way that you will know, without looking at the lamp, that it is switched on is by putting your hand in front of it.
    At that it only looks like the glow from a lit cigarette.
    I'll be out tonight, so I will do a field test with my buddy to see if it is visible from say 50m away.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

Vizzy wrote: »

The only way that you will know, without looking at the lamp, that it is switched on is by putting your hand in front of it.
    I'll be out tonight, so I will do a field test with my buddy to see if it is visible from say 50m away.

Best not to look at a laser light. Just cos it's only glowing that is not to say it won't blind you.
    Take care.

Knew that Clive.

Some of them are safer than others, but nobody should ever look in to the lamp. ( the Pards are in the "safer" category, but still not safe)
    When I do my field test I wont be looking directly at the lamp,rather to one side of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭TombstoneT

Thanks for the advice. A NV thread would also be great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭Czhornet

This is my Black Sun 850nm laser at approx 50m, the "light" is fairly focused so a few feet left or right of it and you can't see it at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭Zxthinger

clivej wrote: »
    I'm using the PARD 008+ with the WRAITH LASER IR 850NM. Easy to get 300m with this setup to see an animal. The PARD 008 will adjust itself to the IR brightness automatically.
    I was using a PBIRX but the Wraith has the better range. I now use this torch with my Gen2 spotter.
    The red glow from the IR torch is viable to fox, deer, and rabbits. They turn towards you when turned on. But usually don't take any notice. The best thing about the Wraith is it has an adjustable rotary swith to adjust the IR output, so I use mine at a reduced IR.

I noticed that my set up with an ATN scope gives me a real bright image the instant the IR is flicked on l! Then, in the next instant the scope auto adjusts the brightness and I just can't see as far as I'd like.
    I'm able to see clearly it to 300 but if there is hedges or and nearby object in the image then the scope adjust against the brightest object and darkens according..

I'll close the field of view down and that help but it's a PIA sometimes.

The last torch I got is some help but I might revert to laser illumination.. ;-)

Forgot to report back on this.

Tested the visibility at about 50m and the visible glow was barely noticeable ( because I knew it was there I was able to see it, but if you didn't know that there was an IR lamp there, I doubt that you would see it)
    Tried it with the laser and the Pard 019 as well.The laser was almost invisible but the 019 was much more visible for some reason.

I'd say that IR is definitely visible to animals though, as they tend to look at you when you put the light on them. Don't know if it is the red glow or the actual IR light that they can see.
    Generally though it doesn't seem to bother them too much like a white or red lamp would.

Forgot to report back on this.

Tested the visibility at about 50m and the visible glow was barely noticeable ( because I knew it was there I was able to see it, but if you didn't know that there was an IR lamp there, I doubt that you would see it)
    Tried it with the laser and the Pard 019 as well.The laser was almost invisible but the 019 was much more visible for some reason.

I'd say that IR is definitely visible to animals though, as they tend to look at you when you put the light on them. Don't know if it is the red glow or the actual IR light that they can see.
    Generally though it doesn't seem to bother them too much like a white or red lamp would.
    One wave length is less visible but sometime one wavelength works better with certain equipment

If you use a 940nm lamp for instance, will an 850nm pick it up ?

If you use a 940nm lamp for instance, will an 850nm pick it up ?

Horses for courses . Some are better than others with different frequencies. Suck it and see

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Asus1

Any update on torch,did it arrive yet,what's your opinion and were you hit with any additional fees on arrival.

Asus1 wrote: »
    Any update on torch,did it arrive yet,what's your opinion and were you hit with any additional fees on arrival.

Hasn't arrived yet and according to thier web site it's still being processed.

Fingers both chewed on and crossed in anticipation...

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Asus1

Hasn't arrived yet and according to thier web site it's still being processed.

Fingers both chewed on and crossed in anticipation...

When you get it and give it a lash maybe report back your thoughts on it.

Will do...

• Advertisement
Advertisement