Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Basic cheap tablet

• 25-04-2021 12:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭

Looking for a cheap bog standard basic tablet, just for browsing, email etc when working away a few weeks a year, and maybe streaming the odd match, phone is too small. Any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,657 ✭✭✭corkie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭Gooser14

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Another one here recommending the fire tablets, I got a cheap 10" "Maebee" tablet from Amazon shortly after new year and regretted it, was clunky, didn't support 5G WiFi, didn't fast charge, still had the older USB port, couldnt work certain apps on it etc etc.

It was a relief when the youngest one dropped it, shattering the screen.

I just bought another fire HD tablet and all of the above problems vanished, USB c charging port, fast charge, and can connect it to 5g WiFi.

As for the apps, once you "un Amazon" it - it's a standard android tablet with full access to the Google play store and all Google services, and that is an unbelievably simple process to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,024 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

McMurphy wrote: »
    Another one here recommending the fire tablets, I got a cheap 10" "Maebee" tablet from Amazon shortly after new year and regretted it, was clunky, didn't support 5G WiFi, didn't fast charge, still had the older USB port, couldnt work certain apps on it etc etc.

It was a relief when the youngest one dropped it, shattering the screen.

I just bought another fire HD tablet and all of the above problems vanished, USB c charging port, fast charge, and can connect it to 5g WiFi.

As for the apps, once you "un Amazon" it - it's a standard android tablet with full access to the Google play store and all Google services, and that is an unbelievably simple process to do.

I got the exact same one (Maebee) , an absolute pile of S****, I didn't expect much as it was for limited us but its god awful. It should be rebranded to Maybe not :)

Not familiar with the fire range but they seem highly recommended.

Advice to OP, avoid cheap tablets, little known brands etc, a complete and comprehensive waste of money and just not worth the frustration.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Dempo1 wrote: »
    I got the exact same one (Maebee) , an absolute pile of S****, I didn't expect much as it was for limited us but its god awful. It should be rebranded to Maybe not :)

Not familiar with the fire range but they seem highly recommended.

Advice to OP, avoid cheap tablets, little known brands etc, a complete and comprehensive waste of money and just not worth the frustration.

Love it. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Be careful not to purchase from UK site as extra charges.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,560 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

Samsung are still making tablets and their A series is probably affordable enough.

Honestly, if I were buying a tablet again, I'd either get a Samsung S series (whatever is currently in budget) or an iPad. The cheapest ipads new are under 400€, and I'm sure there are some great ones available second hand or refurbished.

iPads are really great (had to use one for work for a while) and this is coming from an android fanboi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,203 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Be careful not to purchase from UK site as extra charges.

Not from Amazon.co.uk? They remove UK VAT and charge Irish VAT, but they always did this. There is no additional charges when the goods arrive.

I bought a Fire Tablet 8" and I really like it. I basically just use it for Netflix and a bit of streaming. I bought the official case with it too, it was pretty expensive but it is quite nice. EDIT: just took a look there and some of the cases are available from the Amazon warehouse, for about 10GBP cheaper and as rated as "as new" which I have always found perfect.

The firetoolbox software for adding the play store is really straightforward, you'd have it done in minutes. You can also remove the Ads

worth going for a Samsung Tab A7 imo

offers great metal frame build quality(will last), very long battery life, fast-charging tech, good screen, very good speakers (4 speakers where some cheap tabs have only 1), can access full HD Netflix and Amazon (widevine level 1) and a decent snapdragon cpu for the money

get from Amazon Spain or Germany

https://www.hagglezon.com/en/s/%20Tab%20a7

personally I'd get it over the Amazon tablets unless you are going to be staying on the Amazon ecosystem as the Amazon UI is pretty horrible if you're trying to use general Android imo (even if you use the firetoolbox stuff)

Gooser14 wrote: »

it's cheap but the cpu in that is terrible.

even the Samsung tab a7 which has a lower mid-range snapdragon would be over 5 times as performant on benchmark tests.

the tab A7 still comes in under 200 tho and has way better features in all respects and will be usable for years vs that Acer which has the same speed as a budget phone from 5 years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,947 ✭✭✭long_b

long_b wrote: »

The newer better version -> Samsung tab A7 2020 is available for less than 200 euro delivered from Amazon

• Registered Users Posts: 44 seant5215

Not from Amazon.co.uk? They remove UK VAT and charge Irish VAT, but they always did this. There is no additional charges when the goods arrive.

I bought a Fire Tablet 8" and I really like it. I basically just use it for Netflix and a bit of streaming. I bought the official case with it too, it was pretty expensive but it is quite nice. EDIT: just took a look there and some of the cases are available from the Amazon warehouse, for about 10GBP cheaper and as rated as "as new" which I have always found perfect.

The firetoolbox software for adding the play store is really straightforward, you'd have it done in minutes. You can also remove the Ads

Did they ship the fire tablet to Ireland? Looks restricted to UK?
    Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,657 ✭✭✭corkie

seant5215 wrote: »
    Did they ship the fire tablet to Ireland? Looks restricted to UK?
    Thanks

Try an alternative link, than the version you have clicked on?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/fire-hd-10-tablet-dp-B08F65N2HW/dp/B08F681PH6/
    ^^^ "This product only ships to the United Kingdom and Ireland."

the Samsung Tab a7 is available for 159 + postage from amazon germany right now

that's exceptional value for what you get

you can go "cheaper" but it will be a false economy

https://www.hagglezon.com/en/s/tab%20a7

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭listermint

glasso wrote: »
    the Samsung Tab a7 is available for 159 + postage from amazon germany right now

that's exceptional value for what you get

you can go "cheaper" but it will be a false economy

https://www.hagglezon.com/en/s/tab%20a7

Better machine than the Fire tbh. Good find.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Poulgorm

I bought a Huawei tablet 3 years ago. Utter rubbish. Unbelievably slow. Battery is hopeless - 4,200 mAh - for a 10 inch screen. Came with Android 7. Never got as much as one OS or security upgrade.

My wife has a Samsung. Superior in every way.

Stick with Samsung, for tablets, if Android is your thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

plus one for Samsung.

Got the Galaxy Tab A6 SM-T280 since 2017 and very happy with it.
    Still grand for internet, email, camera...
    Only downside is that it has Android 5.1.1, therefore some apps are not compatible with it any more, and it is not possible to upgrade.

When choosing a new one, I still went for a Samsung, the Tab A8 SM-T295.
    Good value for money I think.

Advertisement