Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LED Headlights

Options
  • 25-04-2021 1:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭

Some advice please, my 2009 Honda Deauville has dreadfully inadequate headline bulbs, its runs two H7 55W high and low beams (two individual bulbs), I am considering replacing same with two H7 LED bulbs, could somebody recommend LED bulbs, I am considering Phillips Cityvision, any advice please?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

FYI, Retro fitting led bulbs often means modifying the housing because the bulbs are bigger. The GE bulbs are a good halogen option, with a consistent beam. Found them the best in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Stanford

Many thanks, however some people on an online Deauville forum tell me that the newer LEDs do not need the housing to be modified as newer LED bulbs are smaller and will fit, I'll let you know how I get on. Apparantly the HID bulbs do require modifications but I believe they are not road legal.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I don't think those Philips Cityvision are LED bulbs they look like Halogens to me.

CJhaughey wrote: »
    I don't think those Philips Cityvision are LED bulbs they look like Halogens to me.

They're also H4 :-)

You are spot on, they are those horrible looking orange Halogens, I'll keep looking!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Mjolnir

Stanford wrote: »
    Many thanks, however some people on an online Deauville forum tell me that the newer LEDs do not need the housing to be modified as newer LED bulbs are smaller and will fit, I'll let you know how I get on. Apparantly the HID bulbs do require modifications but I believe they are not road legal.

Night eyes are class, I've stuck one in my 99 cbr
    No modification at all required.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,535 ✭✭✭✭Varik

I've heard that LEDs have issues with reflector type headlights but never tried so don't know first hand.

Varik wrote: »
    I've heard that LEDs have issues with reflector type headlights but never tried so don't know first hand.

Never had an issue, never been flashed by a car either to tell me off, coverage of the light is good on mine, nice and bright, not blinding.

Mjolnir wrote: »
    Never had an issue, never been flashed by a car either to tell me off, coverage of the light is good on mine, nice and bright, not blinding.

I'm not sure there is enough space to fit these because of the rubber cowl cover behind the bulb holder

I'm not sure there is enough space to fit these because of the rubber cowl cover behind the bulb holder

Not being smart, but did they not say which brand they used on the deauville forum that did fit?

• Advertisement

If its the rubber dust stop you're on about you just remove it, stick it in a drawer somewhere.
    My bike has that set up. No condensation or moisture in the headlight and my rubber dust stop is sitting about 3 feet from my bed. Been in my bike about 2 years constantly. That's also with washing the back of the nose fairing while off the bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,911 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Mjolnir wrote: »

Your driving it though so how would you know.

Unless their directional bulbs designed for your reflector they will disperse wrong.

listermint wrote: »

Unless their directional bulbs designed for your reflector they will disperse wrong.

Because I can see perfectly, I've checked how they disperse light on multiple surfaces and out of all the cars I've passed non have flashed me to say hey as$ hole you're blinding me.
    I've stood in front of them on dim and full, I've passed my family and they'd be very vocal about it.
    My friend with similar lights has passed me and neither of us had any issues.

They disperse in a similar pattern to the halogen bulb that was in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,984 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

listermint wrote: »

That's more of an issue if you fit HIDs in a reflector light, replacing the halogen bulb with a similar LED isn't a problem once it's fitted correctly.

zubair wrote: »
    Not being smart, but did they not say which brand they used on the deauville forum that did fit?

Yes they mentioned a bulb by Sylvania but I don't think its available outside the US or Canada.

https://youtu.be/55syJcjEeTE

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭MAULBROOK

https://eshop.wurth.ie/Product-categories/Halogen-veh.-bulb-xenon-light-Ultra/31126501050602.cyid/3112.cgid/en/GB/EUR/

Im using these on a VW Caddy. very good and dirt cheep €15 per set. If they dont work out its no big loss.

I've decided to go for Osram Night Breakers, not LED, they are Halogens but seem to do well in reviews for Bike Headlight bulbs, should fit OK without any modifications

MAULBROOK wrote: »
    https://eshop.wurth.ie/Product-categories/Halogen-veh.-bulb-xenon-light-Ultra/31126501050602.cyid/3112.cgid/en/GB/EUR/

Im using these on a VW Caddy. very good and dirt cheep €15 per set. If they dont work out its no big loss.

Careful with these, Xenons are not road legal in Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭MAULBROOK

Passed the last 5 DOE tests.

I see now that they are actually Halogens and not Xenon, ride on..!!

• Advertisement

I've decided to go for Osram Night Breakers, not LED, they are Halogens but seem to do well in reviews for Bike Headlight bulbs, should fit OK without any modifications

Don't do it, GE are way better. Been through a lot of bulbs in my time and tried them all (Ive owned a lot of Honda).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,978 ✭✭✭kirving

How are Xenons not road legal? They've been fitted as standard to cars for over 20 years.

kirving wrote: »
    How are Xenons not road legal? They've been fitted as standard to cars for over 20 years.

I understand that replacing halogens with xenons is not road legal unless the bike is already factory fitted with Xenons, I can't speak for cars

zubair wrote: »
    Don't do it, GE are way better. Been through a lot of bulbs in my time and tried them all (Ive owned a lot of Honda).

https://youtu.be/IwtqKAlyyZE

• Registered Users Posts: 5,978 ✭✭✭kirving

I understand that replacing halogens with xenons is not road legal unless the bike is already factory fitted with Xenons, I can't speak for cars

That's it yep, OEM is fine. Xenon in a reflector will dazzle others.

Advertisement