Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Galway

Options
  • 25-04-2021 5:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭

Hi all,

New here, I am moving to Galway for work this summer on a 3 month project. I have never been but heard fantastic things. I am a young professional in my mid twenties so I would love any and all advice I can get on where to stay (and how to find it), events on this summer that will allow me to meet new people, teams/societies/clubs (Covid allowing of course, on that note I am following current Irish restrictions and guidelines and will of course be following all this summer) I am a very social person but my work doesn’t allow me to meet many of my peers, and any other advice you may have regarding the city in 2021

Thanks in advance for anyone who can help

Comments

You may have difficulty finding a 3 month lease but might find a sharing house add. Where will your work location be based? If city centre then recommend you find a place close to the city. Try also UCG student accommodation campus - they MAY rent out apartments/rooms over the summer to essential workers, worth a try.
    The city is very navigable by walking but a bike could also help get you around faster. Close to the city is preferable in terms of access to shops, restaurants pubs etc salthill would be somewhere to consider staying as obviously by the sea but yet close to city- hence the bike recommendation.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭inisboffin

In terms of social stuff, it depends what you are into. There are a fair few arts groups on FB that share good events (and sometimes...) gatherings etc. Search GALCA and Galway Arts Community. Same for sports stuff, and there's a swimmers page for Blackrock. Making initial contact might have to be online for now but you can maybe make some connections there.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭THFC198

Thanks all for the help, City Centre would be perfect for me but obviously costs more. Thanks for the bike tip, I’ve heard traffic can be a nightmare in the city so I’ll heavily consider that, please feel free to send on any more tips

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

Galway Arts festival takes place in the last two weeks of July. They have a large, well
    Organised, volunteer program which attracts lots of youngsters and could be a good way to meet others (and get free entry to some events). Obviously covid might severely restrict what is possible this year. https://www.giaf.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 15,658 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

There are always singular rooms available in this facebook group, and often for the summer months.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/385939841504195

Hopefully astro starts back up soon and if it does, there are some good games here that are in the city, or close enough - https://www.meetup.com/I-could-have-gone-pro-5-a-side-Galway/ & https://www.meetup.com/MondayThursdayFootballGalway/

• Advertisement

Think of how much you might go out at night and need a taxi home etc- add that to your monthly rent budget and it might get you closer to the city- i.e a few 20 euro taxi rides a month vs increased rent closer to town

If you’re fit and able the bike might get you over commuting longer distances but just think of long sunny evenings stuck in suburbia or satellite towns around Galway vs having the sea at your doorstep for walks and runs and swimming etc there’s a great friendly buzz in Galway city in summer time- would be a shame to be tucked away 20 miles inland just for the sake of a few quid

Can you play an instrument? Plenty of money to be made busking in the evening time? :D

Advertisement