Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlords

Options
  • 25-04-2021 5:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

What's the stupidest thing your landlord has said to you in an attempt to not replace or repair something?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Samhain

You know what to do if you don't like it, plenty of other tenants out there. Trouble is, he is right and I dont want to have to move for a myriad of reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭The DayDream

In a house I was already sharing with 3 others I had one inform me that he was considering renting out our dining room (which had a door into the kitchen and a door into the sitting room) as a 4th bedroom. As I was sitting at the dining room table he said this.

Then in the winter we noticed that despite the heat being on full blast the house was still cold. One of us climbed into the attic and discovered there was not a drop of insulation.

We all moved out. Fup you Keith!

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Grisham78

Samhain wrote: »
    You know what to do if you don't like it, plenty of other tenants out there. Trouble is, he is right and I dont want to have to move for a myriad of reasons.

He sounds like a lovely guy in all fairness.. Considering what this country went through with the landlords of the 18th century. We now have our own people treating us like peasants..

In a house I was already sharing with 3 others I had one inform me that he was considering renting out our dining room (which had a door into the kitchen and a door into the sitting room) as a 4th bedroom. As I was sitting at the dining room table he said this.

Then in the winter we noticed that despite the heat being on full blast the house was still cold. One of us climbed into the attic and discovered there was not a drop of insulation.

Another money grabbing landlord the conditions of rental property in this country are absolutely scandalous. The fact that we all just stand by do nothing is sickening. Landlords need to be brought to heel and the housing minister needs to be ousted and we need to stop votting for party's who top members are landlords themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,038 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I wonder if you lived next door to me?
    Keith is the landlord and he's an arsehole!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,691 ✭✭✭corks finest

Scandalous -thought all these rogue landlords were sorted ages ago , that sounds like something I experienced in the 70s, there' are some decent ones,I decorate for 3 of them in the city, decent guy's, properties in general great nick,bar 2 older house's near the college,just old ( early 1800 s)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,316 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Grisham78 wrote: »
    He sounds like a lovely guy in all fairness.. Considering what this country went through with the landlords of the 18th century. We now have our own people treating us like peasants..

It was ever so.
    I don't know why people are surprised at the fact our own are the best at fücking their fellow countrymen and women over a barrel when resources are limited.

It was ever so.
    I don't know why people are surprised at the fact our own are the best at fücking their fellow countrymen and women over a barrel when resources are limited.

Our own did likewise to us in London on various construction sites back in the day,dodgy cheques- commission-extra hours for nothing etc etc , english subbies never ****ed us over unlike Paddy

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Clickclickboom

I have a friend who is renting a nice place next to McCurtain and she began the lease at a time when the rents were much lower. The landlord is now refusing all repairs / refurbishment, I guess because he wants her to leave by herself so that he can lease to someone else with a much higher rent.

I have a friend who is renting a nice place next to McCurtain and she began the lease at a time when the rents were much lower. The landlord is now refusing all repairs / refurbishment, I guess because he wants her to leave by herself so that he can lease to someone else with a much higher rent.
    Sooner the government understands that they need to invest in housing otherwise our brightest and best will again leave

• Advertisement

She should report him to the RTB and teach him a lesson. She should record all phone calls with her landlord keep all emails and text messages and even put hidden cameras in her apartment.

She should report him to the RTB and teach him a lesson. She should record all phone calls with her landlord keep all emails and text messages and even put hidden cameras in her apartment.

That's a great advice but unfortunately she took the decision to leave the country (partly because of this from what I gathered).

• Registered Users Posts: 17 bluepurple

Nothing comes of doing that.

bluepurple wrote: »

I guess she could eventually prove her point in a court, but that's be a waste of energy.

I successfully took my former landlord to the RTB where they were forced to give me €5,000 in compensation for renting an apartment that they knew was vulnerable to flooding and never brought this to my attention until the day it flooded. It does pay off to challenge your landlord..

I guess she could eventually prove her point in a court, but that's be a waste of energy.

She is paying rent and in return she's entitled to minimum standards and things to be replaced if they're no longer fit for purpose. I have no issue sending her landlord a nice snacky little email. If she wants any advice PM me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

Buddy of mine got his deposit back within a few days after threatening cowboy landlord with RTB.

It is literally made to keep greedy pricks in check and is important.

Advertisement