Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hook for an About Us page? Which one?

• 25-04-2021 6:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭

I'm rewriting my About Us page and I'd like to start with the hook/headline.

Can you venture an opinion as to which of these 4 you prefer? And, if possible, why?

I run a small SEO startup aimed at Irish SME's...

Which of these headlines do you find most appealing? 4 votes

Asian Backpacker to web entrepreneur. My Journey.
    75% 3 votes
    Cork city to Korea. Then Back Again. A Web Entrepreneur's Journey.
    0% 0 votes
    All Work. No Play. Learn From My Mistakes.
    0% 0 votes
    Studied and worked in Web Development. Design. Web Marketing. This Is What I Learned.
    25% 1 vote

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,557 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

There’s no ‘None of the above’ option! ;)

Seriously, you are writing an About us when all those headlines are about you. How about, ‘About me.....’?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Without knowing what you plan to write on the about page I can only go off the headlines you posted and generally what an about page should be.

Generally, an about page is a page that does some or all of the following - tells people a bit about the company, helps build trust with a potential client, show you are reliable and have a track record. If you are going with a more personal approach, what's your USP, what makes you unique and how can you solve the client's problems.

If I saw your headlines alone with no context or knowledge you were an SEO startup I would assume they are headlines for a travel blogger based on the first 3 - someone who has travelled and is sharing their experiences or someone who got tired of working a lot and set off travelling. The last one again looks more like a blog post sharing your experience working in the industry.

For a tag line on an SEO company about page, I would expect something more like - About XYZ and why choose us.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭MouseMan01

Axwell wrote: »
    Without knowing what you plan to write on the about page I can only go off the headlines you posted and generally what an about page should be.

Generally, an about page is a page that does some or all of the following - tells people a bit about the company, helps build trust with a potential client, show you are reliable and have a track record. If you are going with a more personal approach, what's your USP, what makes you unique and how can you solve the client's problems.

If I saw your headlines alone with no context or knowledge you were an SEO startup I would assume they are headlines for a travel blogger based on the first 3 - someone who has travelled and is sharing their experiences or someone who got tired of working a lot and set off travelling. The last one again looks more like a blog post sharing your experience working in the industry.

For a tag line on an SEO company about page, I would expect something more like - About XYZ and why choose us.

Thanks Axwell. Fair point.

I want to avoid the dry About Us page usually found on marketing companies websites and really delve into a USP and a brand story rolled up into one. So, like you said. The more personal approach.

I'll almost certainly be working with on copywriter on this. So at the moment, I'm just bouncing around ideas and getting as much advice as I can.

The sign of a good About Us page/brand story is one that makes you root for the protagonist IMO. So I'll be looking for something along those lines ie. protagonist, obstacle, overcome obstacle at it's most basic level.

First I'll have to complete the market research. This is all invaluable. Thanks again. :-)

Does anyone know any great SEO websites out there with superb copy, by any chance? Especially an About Us page?

Thanks guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭MouseMan01

There’s no ‘None of the above’ option! ;)

Seriously, you are writing an About us when all those headlines are about you. How about, ‘About me.....’?

Yeah. Forgot to put in a 'None of the above'. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭roots2branches

Axwell wrote: »

Mouseman, I wouldn't pay much attention to that.
    I chose 'Asian Backpacker to web entrepreneur. My Journey' because it instantly tells me you have a story and I'm intrigued. It also tells me this is an individual who's up for some honesty and a personal approach.
    My advice to anyone in business today is to be personal, show some character. There are millions of straight corporate style approaches, it's boring. Or individuals who reel off their background like a CV or LinkedIn page, boring boring boring.
    Go niche, carve your own style. It's the only thing you can do to get your head above the croud.
    I think you're onto the right approach with your tag line. Go for it, don't listen to the nay sayers, follow your heart.

• Advertisement
Advertisement