Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost for work to rear of home and kitchen re model

Options
  • 25-04-2021 8:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28

All,
    Looking for an estimate to knock through a load bearing wall between the kitchen and dining room. Insert lintel and plaster ceiling.

Knock out existing rear window and make opening in line with existing width and supply and install a 2.4m patio door. Block off existing doorway from existing kitchen to back garden. Supply and install new kitchen window 1m x 1m. Match exterior facade to current pebble dash finish. Have had one builder visit and a verbal quote of 12k-15k which has shocked me!!! (awaiting the written quote)

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Golfusr wrote: »
    All,
    Looking for an estimate to knock through a load bearing wall between the kitchen and dining room. Insert lintel and plaster ceiling.

Knock out existing rear window and make opening in line with existing width and supply and install a 2.4m patio door. Block off existing doorway from existing kitchen to back garden. Supply and install new kitchen window 1m x 1m. Match exterior facade to current pebble dash finish. Have had one builder visit and a verbal quote of 12k-15k which has shocked me!!! (awaiting the written quote)

I would have said €20k again your finished.

It’s also worth noting, a lintel won’t suffice for the structural works. It will be a steel beam designed by an engineer and you have to support it at both ends too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Gumbo wrote: »
    I would have said €20k again your finished.

It’s also worth noting, a lintel won’t suffice for the structural works. It will be a steel beam designed by an engineer and you have to support it at both ends too.

I don't think he is making the window any wider, just removing a 2.4m window and replacing with a door. Block up the existing back door and put in a 1x1m window. But maybe i'm not understanding it correctly.

The price will also depend on the spec of the doors/windows which are going back in?

Advertisement