Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newly pregnant - best place for early scan?

Options
  • 25-04-2021 9:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hi everyone, I just found out I'm pregnant (by my calculations, 4w, 5d)
    I don't really know what to do next apart from contact GP.
    I was looking into some clinics for early scans from 6 weeks, there are a few in Dublin. I was wondering what your experiences were of them and would you recommend one over the other?
    I contacted one but don't know if there's a huge waiting list or how it works, so don't know if I need to contact some more.
    Any help appreciated. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,336 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

Babyscan have clinics all over Ireland. I don't know if any places are better than others, but I found Babyscan to be good. Spent a good few minutes scanning, heard the heartbeat and got photos. I had an early scan on both pregnancies but they only saw women from 8 weeks pregnant as far as I know. Sometimes a heartbeat won't show until 6 weeks or after and if dates are off, it could set someone into a panic. I went for a gender scan on my son and he was a nightmare to scan so they got me to come back in a month later free of charge. You can also check the next available appointment online with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Cash_Q

We used Ultrascan in Ballymount for both pregnancies, I think I was around 8weeks for both scans. First baby we returned for another scan around 16weeks as we felt it was too long to wait between the standard 12week dating scan and the 24week anatomy scan with the hospital. Highly recommend them for a lovely personal experience and great quality photos. Some printed and all others sent to me on WhatsApp as soon as we left the building.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Mildred22

We used ultrasounds dimensions in blackrock again lovely went at 7weeks 2 days and was a really nice experience! You book online and normally only a few days in advanced, it’s nice atm as your partner can attend to! We are going back for a gender scan at 17
    Weeks aswell. Best of luck and congratulations!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭xalot

The Ultrasound Suite on Grafton Street are great and they email you the video of the baby. You're also allowed bring a partner. Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭annoyedgal

Went to ultrasound dimensions in blackrock twice and santry clinic once for early scans and would recommend both.
    Be aware that at 6 weeks you may need an internal wand to see baby.
    I went at 10 weeks on first two and saw lots. Went at 7 weeks on no 3 and saw heartbeat but not much else as was so early. If you go very early and your dates are off you not see heartbeat yet.
    Best of luck and congrats!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

I've been to most of them at this stage! Ultrasound in Blackrock, babyscan in Ballymount, reproscan in Swords. The scans will be similar in each. Blackrock was the nicest clinic though.

I'd advise against a scan as early as six weeks though. You'll only see a wee dot and are unlikely to see a heartbeat. If you leave it another 10-14 days, you'll be sure to see the heartbeat by then and you can see a head blob and a body blob!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Ultrasound Dimensions or Merrion Foetal Health beside Holles Street Hospital.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Sarah1916

xalot wrote: »
    The Ultrasound Suite on Grafton Street are great and they email you the video of the baby. You're also allowed bring a partner. Best of luck.

I went here too on both of my pregnancies and found them great. And my husband was allowed in this time too which was great as not allowed at the hospital 12 week scan.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭uptheduffagain

+2 for the Ultrasound Suite on Grafton Street, they were professional and friendly and really took their time explaining things and it didn't feel rushed at all. We also went for an early scan there, knowing that my husband wouldn't be allowed in for the 12 week one.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭xXx-Ginny-xXx

I've been to the Ultrasound Suite on Grafton Street, Ultrasound Dimensions in Blackrock and ScanMe in Mullingar.
    All have provided fantastic service. I found Scan Me to be the best, Sheila Briody is the name of the lady who owns it and her reputation is very highly regarded. She also was so compassionate and empathic towards us and our situation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Bambinoonboard

Congratulations babyllama! Ive been to Rose lawn in Blanchardstown and Scan Me in Mullingar. I've heard great things about Scan Me and my own experience was positive.

Advertisement