Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What lawn seed?

Options
  • 26-04-2021 12:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭

In your opinion best for Irish climate..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

or just go with no2 lawn seed . which is good if there'll be people/kids on it, most popular here id imagine.
    you can get much fancier stuff if you want it on show at the front and no one will be walking/playing on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭keano25

I plan on just playing football on it with the kids etc. Enjoy the garden that way if you know what I mean when we get dry weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭legend99

So most mixes will have rye grass seed. I think only the luxury or no. 1 mix generally doesn't and that will then be a mix of fescues and some of them will have bent and browntop seeds as well in that luxury mix. Have a look at seeddirect.ie. Absolutely no link to them but I bought from them last year. But the lawn seed page lays out the 4 or 5 options and says what each is etc so very handy reference. And essentially the question I think is whether you get a mix with rye or get the luxury mix without rye.

And have a look at Premier Lawns latest video on YouTube. He (Robbie who runs the business in Belfast) actually addresses the difference kind of seed options as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

keano25 wrote: »
    I plan on just playing football on it with the kids etc. Enjoy the garden that way if you know what I mean when we get dry weather.

no2 would be perfect for that. I got 3 25kg bags online last year and saved about 40euro vs buying local.

https://mcguinnessseeds.com/product/no-2-lawn-seed-top-seller/

https://www.qdstores.co.uk/products/family-lawn-seed-10-kg-bag.html

Thanks everyone.

Is the above any good? My friend said it's stocked locally.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭legend99

keano25 wrote: »
    https://www.qdstores.co.uk/products/family-lawn-seed-10-kg-bag.html

Thanks everyone.

Is the above any good? My friend said it's stocked locally.

It says:

Contains: Aberdart (lolium perenne) 55%,
    Escapade(lolium perenne) 40%, Relevant (Festuca Rubra) 5%,

Lolium perenne is rye grass. Festuca rubra is red fescue. So a very heavy rye mix. Again if you look at seeddirect (seeddirect and McGuinness are the same crew) you'll see that most mixes are not so rye dominant. I'm not 100% sure why but think it is because traditionally rye was a more coarse grass and didn't look as good - although newer dwarf varieties are better. So you could Google those cultivars - the rye grass variants (Aberdart etc). And in fact when I searched for Aberdart rye a lot of the returns were pasture and farm related so that would worry me for using it at home but maybe others here would know more than I would on it.

And I'm actually worried that I was able to tell you that off the top of my head thanks to COVID-19 and filling my time with looking up grass!

Thanks for that..

Think I'll just go with the no 2!

Advertisement