Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Premier League Hall Of Fame

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61,012 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Gareth Barry & James Milner should be nailed on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,199 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I kinda can't help but wonder what the point of this thing is?
    It feels like just another Premier League branding excercise...

We already have an English Football Hall of Fame.... Shearer, and Henry, and Giggs, and Cantona, and Sherringham, and Le Tiss, and Owen and all these other lads are already in it. Do we really need another one with the Premier League (TM) stamp on it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,210 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    I kinda can't help but wonder what the point of this thing is?
    It feels like just another Premier League branding excercise...

I suppose the PL weren't happy with not having their own POTY so decided to create an award to go alongside the PFA awards.

Personally I've no issue with having Shearer & Henry going in first. Lots of players could lay claim to being in the first 2 of course. But I mean it's a list you're either in or not so I wouldn't worry too much about who gets in first. There'll probably be a few more this year to get the list up and running and then what 2 or 3 players each year?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,386 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Surprised Henry got in there ahead of Trent tbh.

I'm pretty sure there was a thread on this at the beginning of last year when it was first announced I guess they just paused it due to Covid.

It's all about marketing the PL as the best league in the world and re-announcing the HoF this week a year after it was first announced is just to distract from the ESL fiasco and the PL is trying to put the focus back it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Augme wrote: »
    Well, no. You judge everything in a case by case basis. Exactly like they do in every other situation like this. You can't simply have one black and white rule that will cover every eventuality. Simply allowing anyone in no matter what is simply being unrealistic as well.

But he was banned by the FA, didn't appeal the ban, got the English captaincy stripped off him and retired from internationals in ignominy. The FA found him to have used that racist term, the criminal case couldn't prove it beyond a reasonable doubt. Proven to have used a racist term by the governing body of English football. That is a serious case so Terry shouldn't be near it. Rio Ferdinand as well. Banned for 9 months for missing a drugs test. He can't get in if we are going down the scandal/moral route either.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭jackwigan

The nominees for next round is up and can be voted on - https://www.premierleague.com/hall-of-fame/nominees

How many Irish players will get into it on merit over the last 29 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭passatman86

Shout out to Kevin Davies and lee bowyer for being in the all time Premier league top 5 of yellow cards received.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,056 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

How many Irish players will get into it on merit over the last 29 years.

McGrath
    Keane
    Irwin
    Keane
    Given

They'd be the shoe ins for me.

Duff and O'Shea would be below all of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭RugbyLover123

I hope they have this as a prestigious thing with 4/5 inductees at the end of every season and not 5 every second week.

Alex Ferguson should have been the first inductee into it as he’s had the greatest impact of any one on the league.

Player-wise can’t really argue with Henry & Shearer.

Voted for Keane, Veira, Terry, Ferdinand, Scholes & Gerrard in the fan vote.

McGrath
    Keane
    Irwin
    Keane
    Given

They'd be the shoe ins for me.

Duff and O'Shea would be below all of them.

I'd have O'Shea in ahead of Irwin based on longevity alone.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Not a hope Irwin was a class apart, could well be in the main nominations[not just irish] in place of Ashley Cole

I voted for Bergkamp,Fowler,Gerrard,Ferdinand,Vieira was touch and go between Vieira and Keane.

Every one of the nominations were absolutely incredible players.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭505_

O’Shea and Irwin both could be included. If Irwin played today he’d be worth a serious amount of money. Left or right side. Very capable from free kicks and penalties. Most importantly he was incredibly consistent at a high level.

Always thought John O’Shea was underrated. Written off as a squad player when he was a lot better than that.

Five premier league wins:

02/03 32 league appearances
    06/07 32 league appearances
    07/08 28 league appearances
    08/09 30 league appearances
    10/11 20 league appearances

Obviously he wasn’t the star man but he’s playing in the majority of games there in league wins. He also enjoyed a big goal too. Winner at Anfield and that chip at Highbury. Although my favourite was his last minute equaliser against Germany, not really appropriate for any premier league argument.

Dcully wrote: »
    Not a hope Irwin was a class apart, could well be in the main nominations[not just irish] in place of Ashley Cole

I'm not denying Irwin was a better player, but that's not what the discussion is about. O'Shea played for longer, had higher number of appearances and was a better servant of/ambassador for the game. I'd definitely have them both included, but JOS maybe pips him in the ballots.

Iriwn is widely regarded as the most underrated (or one of) defenders in the league, ever. It comes up time and time again when people are discussing either him or his position.....so much so, that one would be forgiven in thinking that he's not really underrated and this is just a buzzword that is lazily thrown about*.

JOS is actually underrated. A 'skeleton kNever a peep out of him about being unhappy or wanting a big move away anywhere. The man's a legend.

• Advertisement

505_ wrote: »
    Although my favourite was his last minute equaliser against Germany, not really appropriate for any premier league argument.

Luis Figo still wakes up in a cold sweat every night, as the faint Wa'herford twang of someone shouting "nuts" at him fades into the darkness.......

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

I'm not denying Irwin was a better player, but that's not what the discussion is about

The discussion was about Irish players getting into the nominations, you suggested JOS ahead of Irwin on longevity alone so maybe thats the discussion your referring to?

So the discussion you speak of is it Irish players who could possibly get nominated on merit or longevity?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭The Floyd p

jackwigan wrote: »
    The nominees for next round is up and can be voted on - https://www.premierleague.com/hall-of-fame/nominees

If I'm picking 6 of those players I'll take:

Roy Keane - 7 titles, 4 as captain including 3 in a row. What a man.

Frank Lampard - 3 titles. Most prolific midfielder in PL history.

John Terry - 5 titles, all as captain. 14/15 could have been PFA POTY at 34.

Ashley Cole - 3 titles with 2 clubs. Invincibles + 09/10 Ancelotti team.

Rio Ferdinand - 6 titles. Great player, not just a defender.

Sol Campbell - 2 titles. Great longevity, very underrated defender.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,481 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Cantona, Campbel, Gerrard, Scholes, Keane, Ferdinand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

I voted:

Ashley Cole
    Steven Gerrard
    Roy Keane
    Frank Lampard
    Paul Scholes
    John Terry

• Advertisement

Rio going into the HoF at the same time with the man who racially abused his brother that will be an interesting event to be at.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,076 ✭✭✭✭event

noodler wrote: »
    You'd imagine longevity will play a bit part here.

ie. No Ronaldo, Suarez or maybe even Torres.

Bergkamp, Keown, Campbell, Terry, Lampard, Cech, Zola, Gerrard and the aforementioned UTD players will be good shouts for the next six.

Fowler, Owen and a bunch more if.ot gets expanded.

Torres shouldnt be even close to this tbf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭adaminho

I went with Keane, Adams, Schmeichel, Bergkamp, Gerrard and Le Tissier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,636 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

Went with Cantona, Keane, Rio, Scholes, Gerrard and Terry

Lampard very unlucky he'd be my next pick

Dcully wrote: »
    The discussion was about Irish players getting into the nominations, you suggested JOS ahead of Irwin on longevity alone so maybe thats the discussion your referring to?

So the discussion you speak of is it Irish players who could possibly get nominated on merit or longevity?

The discussion is about inducting people into the Hall of fame. The point of a hall of fame is not necessarily to pick the better players, but to recognise those who've shown great dedication to the sport, been around for years, maybe haven't gotten the recognition they should have, played for lots of games and/or teams, characters within the game etc.

Darren Bent and Peter Crouch aren't as gifted or prolific as, say, Suarez, but they'd waltz into a HoF ahead of him.

Similarly, O'Shea has played for more teams, played more games, over more seasons than Dinny. He should get in ahead of Irwin, in my book, purely for those reasons. Nothing to do with their talents or who was better at X.......JOS has been a better servant of the game, in my opinion and that's exactly what should be recognised.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,797 ✭✭✭✭JPA

O'Shea only played for 2 teams in the PL.
    Anyway, there is zero chance of him getting in the Hall of Fame. Zero.
    It's going to be full of big names and stars.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

That's probably no surprise. Some of the best ever baseball players have been excluded for their dubious behaviour. Pete Rose, Barry Bonds, Mark McGuire. If Giggs is found innocent he'll be considered again but judging by the opening prosecution remarks it's a long road back.
    These things aren't solely judged on onfield events

Advertisement