Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

planning permission issues

Options
  • 26-04-2021 10:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

hello just looking for some info on a site that im applying for planning permisson on that might have issues breaking the skyline is there any working around it that might just push the planning through

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,115 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Don't break the skyline? Lots of ingenious architects out there. Other than that, appeal a refusal to An Bord Pleanala, they've approved some that break the Council rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

shanem12 wrote: »
    hello just looking for some info on a site that im applying for planning permisson on that might have issues breaking the skyline is there any working around it that might just push the planning through

thanks

Who is advising you on your plans or is it all being done by you?

You can find out the person in charge of your area in the planning department. You can ask them how they feel about your plans and proposals. This gives you a good idea if they will allow it. Save you a ton of time. If you are paying somebody and they aren't doing that already they may not be very good.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,313 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

What do you mean breaking the skyline?
    You need to provide more info.

What are you applying for permission for?

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    Who is advising you on your plans or is it all being done by you?

You can find out the person in charge of your area in the planning department. You can ask them how they feel about your plans and proposals. This gives you a good idea if they will allow it. Save you a ton of time. If you are paying somebody and they aren't doing that already they may not be very good.

Pre -Planning is not something that’s actively engaged by all councils.
    Most of my applications would be without pre planning as you generally have an idea of what will be accepted when working in this field.

The one I did do pre planning on, I sent the drawings in November. Got a reply last month asking if I still wanted considering and I’m still waiting on a further call/email about this site. Just as well the applicant is not in a hurry!

I wouldn’t be so quick to put down someone that does not engage in more planning as it can add 6 months to a planning process and it doesn’t go to the head of the department despite what you posted. It goes to the assistant planner which is the first step on the ladder in the planner chain of command.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 shanem12

I have an architect doing all the work he said the skyline might be a problem he’s on about digging the site down so it wouldn’t be sitting on top of the hill wonder would this be enough for the council to grant planning it’s in a very quiet area that has a lot of windmills in the distance

• Advertisement

Gumbo wrote: »
    What do you mean breaking the skyline?
    You need to provide more info.

What are you applying for permission for?

Applying for planning permission to build a house on family land but it’s on a hill the architect wants to dig the site down wonder would this be enough

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Gumbo wrote: »
    Pre -Planning is not something that’s actively engaged by all councils.
    Most of my applications would be without pre planning as you generally have an idea of what will be accepted when working in this field.

The one I did do pre planning on, I sent the drawings in November. Got a reply last month asking if I still wanted considering and I’m still waiting on a further call/email about this site. Just as well the applicant is not in a hurry!

I wouldn’t be so quick to put down someone that does not engage in more planning as it can add 6 months to a planning process and it doesn’t go to the head of the department despite what you posted. It goes to the assistant planner which is the first step on the ladder in the planner chain of command.

Pre planning would be a bit of an exageration in what I am suggesting. A little chat and a picture would do. If Dublin City Council do it easily I am surprised other councils are so slow.

Refused planning is more damaging for resale value. My experience with architects is they are happy to be paid knowing there will be a refusal and won't tell their clients.

OP building on a hill is more than breaking the skyline. Going above the peak of an existing roof would be what most would consider breaking the sky line

• Registered Users Posts: 14,513 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

I had a similar issue when built my house a couple of years ago. I had a pre-planning meeting where I showed the planner the broad strokes of the house I wanted to build and similar houses in the area. He appreciated the courtesy and when I went back a few weeks later with the plans, height was an issue (3 story house), I had to have a ridge profile erected to show actual height. My architect changed the pitch of the roof slightly and we dug down a bit more for foundation to satisfy the planner’s issue with height.

Applying for planning permission to build a house on family land but it’s on a hill the architect wants to dig the site down wonder would this be enough

Agh ok.
    This is one of those occasions a pre planning as suggested by Ray should be mandatory as it has a direct impact on whether the planning will be successful or not.

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    Pre planning would be a bit of an exageration in what I am suggesting. A little chat and a picture would do. If Dublin City Council do it easily I am surprised other councils are so slow.

Refused planning is more damaging for resale value. My experience with architects is they are happy to be paid knowing there will be a refusal and won't tell their clients.

OP building on a hill is more than breaking the skyline. Going above the peak of an existing roof would be what most would consider breaking the sky line

My example is Fingal currently but DCC are known to be similar depending on which planner your dealing with :)

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,586 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

why is the location of the house on a hill?

is there no choice in this matter?

sydthebeat wrote: »
    why is the location of the house on a hill?

is there no choice in this matter?

No there is no other choice it’s not a very high hill but if you were standing on the road looking up at the house all you would see in the back ground is the sky that’s why he wants to dig the site down so the house wouldn’t be as high

Dav010 wrote: »
    I had a similar issue when built my house a couple of years ago. I had a pre-planning meeting where I showed the planner the broad strokes of the house I wanted to build and similar houses in the area. He appreciated the courtesy and when I went back a few weeks later with the plans, height was an issue (3 story house), I had to have a ridge profile erected to show actual height. My architect changed the pitch of the roof slightly and we dug down a bit more for foundation to satisfy the planner’s issue with height.

And did you have to dig down much my architect is saying I might have to dig the site down 10 or 15 ft it’s a dormer bungalow I’m building

Advertisement