Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mobile phone number recycling

Options
  • 27-04-2021 3:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭

Apologies if this is the wrong forum.

I'm wondering what happens to phone numbers of people who have passed away. I assume they are reused after an amount of time? Does anyone know the process?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭con747

I doubt it, I have old numbers from years ago that still are inactive after changing my number. How would someone feel if their deceased relatives number was in use by a stranger? I would not be very happy if it was my relatives number. I still have a lot of deceased family members numbers stored on my phone because I don't want to delete them. Just my opinion though.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,436 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I understand there are about 31 million valid mobile phone numbers for Ireland. Only about 5 million are in active use.

Each 08X has 10 million numbers. However, 08X 1XXXXXX numbers are reserved for the network operators, numbers are reserved for message services for each mobile phone number and I understand there are also numbers reserved for each mobile phone number for future uses.

If you want to reuse a number that was be used by someone else, I understand there is a waiting period. If it is someone you know and you have access to the phone, just keep paying the bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭pigtown

con747 wrote: »
    I doubt it, I have old numbers from years ago that still are inactive after changing my number. How would someone feel if their deceased relatives number was in use by a stranger? I would not be very happy if it was my relatives number. I still have a lot of deceased family members numbers stored on my phone because I don't want to delete them. Just my opinion though.

That's what I'm worried about. Just wondering if I should be expecting it to happen

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭The Mulk

pigtown wrote: »
    That's what I'm worried about. Just wondering if I should be expecting it to happen

I changed networks last year and got someone's old number, I still get calls for them on it. I was added to Whattsapp groups for 5 a sides and parties!
    Luckily they are still alive from what I gather.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

I'm wondering what happens to phone numbers of people who have passed away. I assume they are reused after an amount of time? Does anyone know the process?

If it's a bill pay number then it will be deactivated and returned to the "pool" if the bill isn't paid.

If it's PAYG it will go inactive after a certain length of time if not topped up (depending on which network it is).

If you want to keep the number, switch it to PAYG (if bill pay) and top up at the required interval to keep it active.

It might be simpler to port a bill pay number to another PAYG network than go through the current provider which might be complicated with GDPR etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

pigtown wrote: »

Yes.

Somebody called liveline before after they buried a phone with a relative then called to listen to their voicemail. After about 7mo somebody picked up. Numbers are recycled.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭The Mulk

ED E wrote: »
    Yes.

Somebody called liveline before after they buried a phone with a relative then called to listen to their voicemail. After about 7mo somebody picked up. Numbers are recycled.

This happened in the UK too. It was after 2 years, the parents sent a text on the dead persons birthday to a phone that had been buried with a teenager and someone responded to the text.

Advertisement