Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eoghan Murphy TD resigns...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,417 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

You're very welcome.
    Accents don't offend me.

They are not:
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/approval-granted-for-more-than-650-apartments-beside-st-anne-s-park-in-dublin-1.4177374
    ^^^ this one is a disgrace ^^^

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/plan-for-550-apartments-on-chivers-site-leaves-sour-taste-1.4123796

https://www.thejournal.ie/apartments-planning-permission-clongriffin-4942417-Dec2019/

Builders are being told they can build what they want now.
    Just because it's not happening near you, does not mean it's not happening
    Complains about the lack of housing and complains about housing projects. :rolleyes:

Builders cannot build what they want, the SHD development effectively skips the local authority end of planning and goes straight to the appeals process - development that would've ended up in appeals anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

He was an absolutely disastrous minister for housing, Murphy was a huge factor in the success of SF last year, who pushed the simple but indisputably effective idea of building more houses to cope with the shortage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭Shebean

Part of the new breed social media lot. Lacking substance and skill.
    He peaked before he was ready, not saying he ever would have been.
    He wasn't fit for the Housing job and was unlikely to rise so high ever again after being found out. He's right to stop taking up space.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,780 ✭✭✭leath_dub

markodaly wrote: »
    The bits in bold are falsehoods being peddled.
    Readers should be aware that they are lies.

https://rebuildingireland.ie/news/new-regulations-to-fast-track-large-scale-housing-developments/

Turned an Bord Pleanala into a Super-Quango, with no accountability for whatever adjudications they make

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

As someone almost exactly the same age as him, I can understand why he would give up the "gravy train" as others call it. I think he was pulled into cabinet positions early because he was seen as a strong up-and-comer and being young he'd inject new life into FG's politics.

He was out of depth though, as housing minister his comms were unnecessarily conservative, less compassion, more matter-of-fact. That's not objectively a bad thing, but it's the kind of thing Sinn Fein jump all over and will hurt you on the street when people are shouting, "WHAT ABOUT DE HOMELESS".

He no doubt foresaw a political career that would require him to sit backbench for another few years and for the rest of his career answer snide remarks about his time as Minister for Housing. Or he could use his success in politics as a springboard to pursue what he actually wanted to do, in a role that didn't require people ripping you apart for no other reason than their own political gain.

I know what I'd pick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

Complains about the lack of housing and complains about housing projects. :rolleyes:

Builders cannot build what they want, the SHD development effectively skips the local authority end of planning and goes straight to the appeals process - development that would've ended up in appeals anyway.

The bit in bold should say: "Lack of correct housing in the correct area".
    There is plenty of stock for sale (3400 properties in Dublin alone)
    Renting however is tight (780 properties in Dublin)

The problem with the properties for sale is that very few of them are affordable .

It baffles me that the Local Authority are responsible for servicing any said development once people move in but have absolutely no say in the planning stage as they're skipped. How can that be a good idea?

He was an absolutely disastrous minister for housing, Murphy was a huge factor in the success of SF last year, who pushed the simple but indisputably effective idea of building more houses to cope with the shortage.

100%!
    One thing I'll say on that, there was never a shortage of housing when FF were in power.... (As much as it makes me sick to say that)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭Mav11

Don't know if it has been answered before but any Labour candidate of note in that area? Labour could do well?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

The problem with the properties for sale is that very few of them are affordable .

It baffles me that the Local Authority are responsible for servicing any said development once people move in but have absolutely no say in the planning stage as they're skipped. How can that be a good idea?

100%!
    One thing I'll say on that, there was never a shortage of housing when FF were in power.... (As much as it makes me sick to say that)

Don't know if the last part is true, during the Celtic Tiger people were buying because there was perceived to be a shortage which was leading to higher and higher prices. It's not as acute as it is now though. FF really had the same policies as FG followed in recent years, incentivise builders and buyers, rather than for the State to take a major role. In general thinking has changed though, high prices were seen as a great sign that the economy was flying from circa 1998 to 2007.
    I found Murphy particularly odious when he was talking about planning permission, trying to pretend it was infernal bureaucracy that was to blame, despite the countless awful developments we have in Ireland. He genuinely tried to blame having a proper planning process for the situation, not failed neo liberal policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,448 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

100%!

Yeah all those houses ay.

That ended well in 2006.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Mav11 wrote: »
    Don't know if it has been answered before but any Labour candidate of note in that area? Labour could do well?

Are you talking about the crowd who are now reversing the 2004 Referendum, and negating the will of 80% of the Irish people?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭PunkIPA

Senator Ivana Bacik will almost definitely be the Labour candidate.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭Banana Republic 1

Harris had a disaster in Health. His confidence vote brought down the government prematurely with disastrous consequences in terms of FG seats. Yet Harris was rewarded with a seat at the cabinet for a ministry most people don't know anything about. Murphy got nothing.

Ya FG are a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭Banana Republic 1

PunkIPA wrote: »

3 way woke off.

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Colonel Claptrap

Who was doing this? Sinn Fein supporters?

From what I could tell, there was a group of PBP supporters along with a dodgy looking gang of hard men from the Dessie Ellis camp.

Kivaro wrote: »
    Are you talking about the crowd who are now reversing the 2004 Referendum, and negating the will of 80% of the Irish people?

No they are not.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭Mav11

PunkIPA wrote: »

God no! I take it back:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 29,555 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

i wish him the very best of luck, im sure he ll be very successful, just as much success hes had in resolving our housing issues

• Registered Users Posts: 19,849 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Will this be an opportunity for the resident boards.ie perennial moaning hurlers on the ditch to throw their hat into the election ring?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,509 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Might quieten her cough a bit if she isn’t as popular as she thinks she is.

Is that likely negative outcome then best termed a Chu-In?

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭Grassy Knoll

Murphy has probably read the runes, opting for a high paid job as a private citizen in some international organisation populated by similar types. What is not to like? ... probably he figured out the juice isn’t worth the squeeze.

Politics is a dirty business, fortunately for him he has options unlike some of the other turnips. As housing minister he didn’t distinguish himself but I suppose the posh boy juxtaposed against homeless folk was never going to play out for him. Ironically he was pitted against another opposition south side posh boy decked out in Mao gear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭zom

I was in the RDS count centre when he was returned in the last election. The boos and slurs from a certain cohort was disgusting.
    Who would want to be a politician in this day and age? Not me.

Great number of people find such career satisfying and fulfilling. You dont get to the Dail as a punishment.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

If FF or FG don't win this by election? Does it spell bad news for the government?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,553 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

I reckon Gemma O' Doherty will throw her (tin foil) hat in the ring too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

He was a waster. Good riddance. An absolute spoofer of the highest order who didn't know how the real world worked.https://twitter.com/Taiwo_Oifigiuil/status/1386973632023441409?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

skimpydoo wrote: »
    If FF or FG don't win this by election? Does it spell bad news for the government?

No, governments rarely win by-elections.

If they were to win it though, it would be a huge boost for that particular reason.

smurgen wrote: »
    He was a waster. Good riddance. An absolute spoofer of the highest order who didn't know how the real world worked.https://twitter.com/Taiwo_Oifigiuil/status/1386973632023441409?s=19

Ah yes.

You think the only reason for tents is Murphy?

You don't think there is a myriad of reasons as to why there are tents.

Are you aware that every country in the world has homeless people.

Did you expect Murphy to crack the age old problem of homelessness throughout the world?

A spoofer you say.

Come join us in the SF thread, you have vanished from it today?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,441 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

We have homeless numbers at ridiculous levels for a decade because of FF/FG but its alright because other countries have homeless issues

We don't really though there are currently 5,974 people housed in emergency accommodation from a population of around 5 million people which is around 0.12%

https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/b5b46-homeless-report-february-2021/

The number of rough sleepers was 139 which is around 0.003 of the population.

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2020/1222/1185997-homeless/

We have homeless numbers at ridiculous levels for a decade because of FF/FG but its alright because other countries have homeless issues

Noone said its alright.

We have many issues in the world that aren't alright.

Doesn't mean there is a magic quick fix, and they certainly aren't gonna be fixed by Eoghan Murphy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭jmcc

glasso wrote: »
    Leo hates her guts with a vengeance since she gobbed off a bit too much during the FG leadership vote process where she was up for Coveney.

He went out of his way on a number of occasions to ensure that she didn't get near a Seanad seat since she lost out in the last election.

If he has his wish he'd want someone else up as the FG candidate. He doesn't want her back in the Dail.
    I think that she's a potential future leader of FG the way things are going. She's the right kind of FGer (FG family, small business owner, good media performer etc).

That piece in the Examiner a while back showed that she wasn't pleased with losing her Dail seat. She definitely was a Coveney supporter and there might be a struggle to get a Varadkar candidate in for the byelection as Varadkar is damaged goods. (Led FG to one of its worst GE results ever and is under criminal investigation with the file yet to be sent to the DPP). Depending on what happens with the DPP, Varadkar may not even be the leader of FG when the byelection happens.

Regards...jmcc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

Ah yes.

You think the only reason for tents is Murphy?

You don't think there is a myriad of reasons as to why there are tents.

Are you aware that every country in the world has homeless people.

Did you expect Murphy to crack the age old problem of homelessness throughout the world?

A spoofer you say.

Come join us in the SF thread, you have vanished from it today?

Other than older alcoholic men there was very little homelessness in Ireland pre 2013. Maybe some people forget that.

Advertisement