Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eoghan Murphy TD resigns...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

We don't really though there are currently 5,974 people housed in emergency accommodation from a population of around 5 million people which is around 0.12%

https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/b5b46-homeless-report-february-2021/

The number of rough sleepers was 139 which is around 0.003 of the population.

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2020/1222/1185997-homeless/

That is the tip of the iceberg, though I doubt you’ll find it so trivial if it happens to you. There are at least 4 families that I personally know on my road who have adult children living back at home with them due to lack of affordable options. All working adults too. You’d want to literally be brain dead not to acknowledge there is a critical housing shortage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭PommieBast

The number of rough sleepers was 139 which is around 0.003 of the population.
    https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2020/1222/1185997-homeless/
    The 139 figure is for Dublin, not nationwide. This figure is also likely an undercount looking at how many tents and sleeping bags are on Henry Street alone these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,164 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Other than older alcoholic men there was very little homelessness in Ireland pre 2013. Maybe some people forget that.

Any verifiable data to back that wild claim up?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,555 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Our housing problems are becoming more catastrophic by the day, it's extremely disturbing to watch

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭plastic glass

PommieBast wrote: »
    The 139 figure is for Dublin, not nationwide. This figure is also likely an undercount looking at how many tents and sleeping bags are on Henry Street alone these days.

Which points to us having a drug problem in Ireland and not a homeless problem

• Advertisement

Which points to us having a drug problem in Ireland and not a homeless problem

It actually points to a multitude of serious problems, it ultimate shows multi system failure, from a welfare system, health care system, legal system, accommodation system, and beyond.....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,005 ✭✭✭✭titan18

blanch152 wrote: »
    No, governments rarely win by-elections.

If they were to win it though, it would be a huge boost for that particular reason.

Considering the constituency it would be a massive loss imo if one of them didn't get in. FG should be the favourites but Greens also get a lot of votes there. There's only really 4 viable options to get elected and 3 of them will be government parties.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

That is the tip of the iceberg, though I doubt you’ll find it so trivial if it happens to you. There are at least 4 families that I personally know on my road who have adult children living back at home with them due to lack of affordable options. All working adults too. You’d want to literally be brain dead not to acknowledge there is a critical housing shortage.

Yes, and the laser like focus on homelessness and social housing as the most important housing issue is likely to see the having to live there much longer.

There are not enough houses full stop

Yes, and the laser like focus on homelessness and social housing as the most important housing issue is likely to see the having to live there much longer.

There are not enough houses full stop

lack of housing supply is only one element of whats wrong, another critical element is that we keep defaulting towards the private sector money supply, credit, in order to try provide it, this is clearly failing

• Registered Users Posts: 7,448 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Other than older alcoholic men there was very little homelessness in Ireland pre 2013. Maybe some people forget that.

There was homeless families in hotels all through the celtic tiger.

And maybe a small matter of a massive recession fuelled by too many houses and credit happened and escalated the issue.

• Advertisement

There was homeless families in hotels all through the celtic tiger.

And maybe a small matter of a massive recession fuelled by too many houses and credit happened and escalated the issue.

again, this was due to an over reliance on the private sector money supply, credit, to fulfill this need, it clearly failed, catastrophically, lets not repeat this

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    again, this was due to an over reliance on the private sector money supply, credit, to fulfill this need, it clearly failed, catastrophically, lets not repeat this

Yes I agree.

And that's my point. Eoghan Murphy didn't start this and had no chance of ending it.

It will take years and years to undo the mistakes of the celtic tiger.

Yes I agree.

And that's my point. Eoghan Murphy didn't start this and had no chance of ending it.

by not doing the opposite to what we ve been doing for decades, it wont be solved, murphy has played a part in not doing so

• Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭PommieBast

Whos fault is it that there are not enough houses? FFG
    Political pressure resulting from negative equity following the tiger-era bubble has a lot to answer. Artificial shortage is the only way they would ever reach evens.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

PommieBast wrote: »
    Political pressure resulting from negative equity following the tiger-era bubble has a lot to answer. Artificial shortage is the only way they would ever reach evens.

Correct, if we had pursued a model of evictions for those who couldn't pay their mortgage, the market would have corrected itself much quicker, prices would be lower and more people would be able to afford houses.

blanch152 wrote: »
    Correct, if we had pursued a model of evictions for those who couldn't pay their mortgage, the market would have corrected itself much quicker, prices would be lower and more people would be able to afford houses.

what a load of bullsh1t, we d clearly would have tons more homeless, the real world economy doesnt work on perfect corrections, it never has! again, our housing issues cannot be simplified as such, we re still caught in the cycle of thinking, the market can provide us with this critical need, its clearly obvious, it cant!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭Shebean

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    by not doing the opposite to what we ve been doing for decades, it wont be solved, murphy has played a part in not doing so

Wasn't he the minister overseeing local councils and housing? If he wasn't in a position to do anything who would have been?
    I understand the reality we can't tackle such problems overnight but as you say, continuing to rinse and repeat wasn't helping matters.

Eoghan Murphy will be remembered as the minister who indulged with vulture funds, corporate landlords, property developers, speculators and its ilk, at the expense of Irish citizens who are struggling to pay high rents. Under his watch, home ownership in this country is at its lowest level, even worse now then during the dark days of the time of the Troika bailout. He gets particularly defensive, combative, abrasive when challenged about his policies. His worst trait is his no compromising and direct approach and his petty cheap shots aimed at opposition politicians when he is under pressure.

Anyone that thinks that he was a good minister, are far removed to the realities of what many people are going through, since the collapse of the Cetic Tiger and the subsequent property crash and all the anti-affordable housing and anti-tenant and renters policies of FF and FG in particular. How many times has Leo, when Taoiseach used the "money message" mechanism when opposition parties introduced affordable housing and pro renters and tenants bills to the Dail?

Would not surprise me if Mr. Murphy gets a job with some corporate landlord or a vulture fund. Unfortunately his successor in the housing ministerial brief Darragh O Brien is not much better and has proved a major disappointment.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,334 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

thomas 123 wrote: »
    Reading over the first 5 Pages of this thread it’s almost like he didn’t preside over the homeless, rent, and housing crisis that is railroading my generation currently and for the last 7/8 years.

I actually liked Murphy as a person, he seemed a decent sort, but he was nothing but a failure as minister for housing, all of these areas have gotten worse. It’s also not just people who want a free house, those of us who work are, and will continue to be, locked out of owning a home - I’d imagine/hope his lack of action was more fine Gaels fault than his own.

I don't know him personally, so I cannot comment on him in that way. But he was a wretched minister for housing, I agree. But, then again, he comes from a party that has no interest in doing anything about the awful state of housing in this country and they certainly couldn't give a tinkers cuss about the generation that's getting screwed by it.

In the end, I don't think he's any real loss, and he probably already has a nice little cushy number lined up through the political contacts he's made.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,334 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

conorhal wrote: »
    Here's what baffles me. Is this the kind of working and living standards we are going to accept?
    Live in box, work in box, die in box and be buried in one? You will own noting and owe your soul to the factory store, all this determined by people that live in mansions. Are we going back to this?

The people who want to normalise dog boxes with shared kitchens will never even see the inside of one.

They're a "great idea"...

...for other people that is. ;)

• Advertisement

Shebean wrote:
    Wasn't he the minister overseeing local councils and housing? If he wasn't in a position to do anything who would have been? I understand the reality we can't tackle such problems overnight but as you say, continuing to rinse and repeat wasn't helping matters.

It's their political ideology is the problem, they're unwilling to accept the reality of the situation, unwilling to accept this ideology died in 08, yet they're still trying it! It's over lads, the market is not capable of providing us with all our needs, now get over it!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,572 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

skimpydoo wrote: »
    If FF or FG don't win this by election? Does it spell bad news for the government?

I don't think anyone expects FF to win it or even come close but if their candidate flops completely it will reflect badly on Jim O'Callaghan and his claims to be able to draw a Dublin vote back to FF.

The bar will be higher for FG, as this is their heartland, but if their candidate is in the mix for the seat it will be regarded as a decent showing and won't have any long-term implications for Leo's leadership

• Registered Users Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

odyssey06 wrote: »
    He should never have been put into such a crucial portfolio as Housing with so little experience.

Totally out of his depth.

The role is a sacrificial lamb one! If only varadkar was minister for housing, health etc.... oh wait... I am delighted to say, I've no Interest in voting for the foreseeable, every option is a farce and all share the same political views...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Yes I agree.

Believe me, this housing crisis isn't a failure, its execution of unofficial policy... sucki.g eye watering amounts of euros from the young and low to mid income earners to enrich a far more important cohort. Politicians being one of this cohort...

Idbatterim wrote: »
    Believe me, this housing crisis isn't a failure, its execution of unofficial policy... sucki.g eye watering amounts of euros from the young and low to mid income earners to enrich a far more important cohort. Politicians being one of this cohort...

If you say so.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Idbatterim wrote: »

Someone else said the exact same to me yesterday, while mainstream opinion is that Murphy was an inept arrogant that in the eyes of the FG backers he completed his allotted task with flying colours

Kate O'Connell declares she's not running because "the FG leadership don't want her". Does this mean James Geoghegan is a certainty for the ticket?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

Kate O'Connell declares she's not running because "the FG leadership don't want her". Does this mean James Geoghegan is a certainty for the ticket?
    James Geoghegan who until recently was a member of Renua. How does Leo trust someone with no real pedigree who is also ex Renua?

skimpydoo wrote: »
    James Geoghegan who until recently was a member of Renua. How does Leo trust someone with no real pedigree who is also ex Renua?

Ah but both his parents and two grandparents were Supreme Court judges. Where is the 'Laura Norder' party going to find a more perfect candidate?:P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Economics101

Am I the only one who thinks that Kate O'Connell is a relentless self-publicist, more a member of the Me Fein party rather then Fine Gael.

And a for those carefully posed glammed up photos of her appearing in the Indo: ugh! As for Geoghegan being ex-Renua, what's wrong with that? An ability to change one's mind is in many circumstances a virtue.

Advertisement