Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dublin Bay South By-Election

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭Corby Trouser Press

Someone needs to tell Kate you lost, get over it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,796 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

There is a Wexford Independent TD who might advise her on how to get even with Leo.

That wan wouldn't know how to spell it.

Can't see KOC running as an independent anyway, she doesn't want it enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,088 ✭✭✭Augme

Larbre34 wrote: »
    That wan wouldn't know how to spell it.

Can't see KOC running as an independent anyway, she doesn't want it enough.

Or she isn't stupid enough. There is no way she would get elected in that consistency as an independent. I doubt anyone would.

Someone needs to tell Kate you lost, get over it :)

At least she has a nice sod of turf to throw on the fire as she sheds a tear into her glass of vodka and bitter lemon :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭jay0109

Augme wrote: »

Also, it seems James could well be the only male candidate to run for the established parties.

Yet Roisin Shorthall on the radio this morning voiced her disgust at FG putting up a male in the by-election!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,513 ✭✭✭golfball37

glasso wrote: »
    At least she has a nice sod of turf to throw on the fire as she sheds a tear into her glass of vodka and bitter lemon :pac:

Sod of turf on fire in Eamon’s constituency- she’s not even allowed that privilege

• Registered Users Posts: 4,378 ✭✭✭KevRossi

I'm kind of glad O'Connell won't be involved with politics for a while. She's a pharmacist and was pushing to keep cosy deals between the HSE and pharmacists running. It just cost the taxpayer a lot of money and keeps a lot of cash in the pockets of very few people. The system needs to be revamped, not maintained.

She was also handed that seat in 2016. She was given half page spreads every week in the Sindo leading up top the election with soft interviews. The idea was to get Lucinda Creighton out. Kate was on the wrong side of a leadership challenge in 2017, but couldn't keep her mouth shut when Leo won. She was incredibly naive to keep hitting out at the leadership, especially when she's in such a fickle and tight constituency and she's only damaged her future in the party now.

https://gript.ie/profile-kate-o-connell-fine-gael/

A very good summation of her time in politics and downfall.

Really not someone we need as a public representative.

https://gript.ie/profile-kate-o-connell-fine-gael/

A very good summation of her time in politics and downfall.

Really not someone we need as a public representative.

God be with the days.... simpler times.

14%20NEWS%2091Fine%20Gael%20TD1s%20Jo.jpg

• Administrators Posts: 53,358 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

O'Connell does sound like a piece of work but that Gript article is written by John McGuirk and given that he and O'Connell are basically polar opposites I do wonder if it's embellished a bit.

Having a go at your own party members in the manner that she did is foolish and she is paying the price for that.

• Advertisement

awec wrote: »
    O'Connell does sound like a piece of work but that Gript article is written by John McGuirk and given that he and O'Connell are basically polar opposites I do wonder if it's embellished a bit.

certainly do remember the witch-hunt (literally in this case) against the FG adviser guy and the "how not to be magnanimous" repeal the 8th victory rub-your-face-in-it brag in the dail.

at one point the "personal adviser to Kate" sister made an ill-advised pre-election 2020 claim about herself getting a Seanad seat - to go with the other two sisters in the dail (or so she assumed)

deluded.

they are not cut out for the real world of party politics.

glasso wrote: »
    God be with the days.... simpler times.

"WE NEED MORE WOMEN IN POLITICS*!"

*Doesn't matter if they are dishonest and self serving... they just need to be women

Having a go at your own party members in the manner that she did is foolish and she is paying the price for that.

The Healy-Rae's are basically the polar opposites of every single political journalist in Ireland but nobody would question a well researched and put together piece on them.

Funny that.

The Healy-Rae's are basically the polar opposites of every single political journalist in Ireland but nobody would question a well researched and put together piece on them.

Funny that.

What's funny about it? :confused:

Not sure I get your point.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,802 ✭✭✭timmyntc

What's funny about it? :confused:

Not sure I get your point.

it seems like you are grasping at straws to accuse McGuirk of embellishing the article is the jist of it.

The piece has sources and references several events that we all saw happen in the past - most of the article is hard to dispute aside from the little comments from anonymous ex-TDs and so on, which add little to the article anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Are the runners and riders announced yet?

timmyntc wrote: »
    it seems like you are grasping at straws to accuse McGuirk of embellishing the article is the jist of it.

The piece has sources and references several events that we all saw happen in the past - most of the article is hard to dispute aside from the little comments from anonymous ex-TDs and so on, which add little to the article anyways.

I wasn't grasping at any straws, good grief! I'm not excusing Kate O'Connell at all. I would have thought "Kate O'Connell seems like a real piece of work" would make that obvious.

I wasn't disputing these things happened, more that the article portrays her as a bit of a crazed weapon and I am not sure I am willing to base my entire view of Kate O'Connell on an article written by an individual like John McGuirk. That is all.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,796 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Are the runners and riders announced yet?

For what? The damn thing won't be held until November.

The Government are not stupid enough to ignore the kind of vaccine bounce that Boris got in Hartlepool today. They'll wait to hold it until the day before a big rugby game in a full Aviva this Autumn with ads saying "Say thank you Meehole and Leo"

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,630 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Larbre34 wrote: »
    For what? The damn thing won't be held until November.

The Government are not stupid enough to ignore the kind of vaccine bounce that Boris got in Hartlepool today. They'll wait to hold it until the day before a big rugby game in a full Aviva this Autumn with ads saying "Say thank you Meehole and Leo"

Vaccine bonus could be burnt out by the proposed October/November, if we're back in pubs and gone/back on holidays by then a lot of people will be 'over it' basically.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,513 ✭✭✭golfball37

Housing crisis is starting to get coverage again. We’re slowly moving on from covid

• Registered Users Posts: 6,518 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

I am not sure I am willing to base my entire view of Kate O'Connell on an article written by an individual like John McGuirk. That is all.

A small part of me dies every time someone uses gript.ie as a source.

A small part of me dies every time someone uses gript.ie as a source.

That says more about you then it does about Gript.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

golfball37 wrote: »
    Housing crisis is starting to get coverage again. We’re slowly moving on from covid

The housing crisis is back with a bang. We're in a significantly worse position post-Covid on housing, compounded by supply chain issues caused by Brexit. No time for the Government to turn it around either. They're heading for an electoral disaster.

'Cost of building our house has risen by 30% in a year'

In regards DBS, I wouldn't put it past Ivana Bacik to pull off a win here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭Blut2

The housing crisis is back with a bang. We're in a significantly worse position post-Covid on housing, compounded by supply chain issues caused by Brexit. No time for the Government to turn it around either. They're heading for an electoral disaster.

'Cost of building our house has risen by 30% in a year'

In regards DBS, I wouldn't put it past Ivana Bacik to pull off a win here.

I wouldn't have rated the FF/FG/Grn government's chances of fixing the property market fully by January 2025 (at best, if the government lasts a full term) too highly to begin with. Its a huge task, that would have required far more radical measures than FF or FG were likely wiling to initiate to solve it in any way quickly.

But after losing 2 years progress to covid its now exceptionally unlikely. The completed housing units figures for 2020 and projections for 2021 show the situation is actually going to have gotten worse since the last election, not better. We need 30,000+ housing units a year to be built to make a dent in the supply problems, and projections are now for 12-14,000 units this year, after only 20,000 last year.

We'd need approaching 50,000 units a year completed now in 2022/23/24 for the market to be in any way self-correcting. Which just isn't going to happen.

SF will be heading towards government almost guaranteed as a result, the only question will be how many total seats / how many parties they need to govern with.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

Poor old Kate does a millionaire's flounce when FG fail to see her brilliance and decline to back her. Back to her pharmacies she must go, the poor thing. Are you allowed to burn turf in SoCoDu?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Stovepipe wrote: »
    Poor old Kate does a millionaire's flounce when FG fail to see her brilliance and decline to back her. Back to her pharmacies she must go, the poor thing. Are you allowed to burn turf in SoCoDu?

Only bridges.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,168 ✭✭✭Good loser

Blut2 wrote: »
    I wouldn't have rated the FF/FG/Grn government's chances of fixing the property market fully by January 2025 (at best, if the government lasts a full term) too highly to begin with. Its a huge task, that would have required far more radical measures than FF or FG were likely wiling to initiate to solve it in any way quickly.

But after losing 2 years progress to covid its now exceptionally unlikely. The completed housing units figures for 2020 and projections for 2021 show the situation is actually going to have gotten worse since the last election, not better. We need 30,000+ housing units a year to be built to make a dent in the supply problems, and projections are now for 12-14,000 units this year, after only 20,000 last year.

We'd need approaching 50,000 units a year completed now in 2022/23/24 for the market to be in any way self-correcting. Which just isn't going to happen.

SF will be heading towards government almost guaranteed as a result, the only question will be how many total seats / how many parties they need to govern with.

Heard someone on radio say there might - at a pinch - be 21,000 completions this year.

Good loser wrote: »
    Heard someone on radio say there might - at a pinch - be 21,000 completions this year.

how many on sale to the general public and not cuckoo funds?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭Blut2

Good loser wrote: »

Its unlikely. The Housing Minister himself, who you would expect to be optimistic for political reasons alone, is forecasting the 12-14,000 range:

Housing Minister Darragh O’Brien has said 33,000 homes per year needed to be delivered to address supply issues.

"This year because of the shutdown we could be as low as 12,000 to 14,000 housing completions"

https://extra.ie/2021/05/04/business/property/housing-minister-homes

Advertisement