Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SIRO and bridge mode

Options
  • 27-04-2021 11:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I am looking for a SIRO provider that will give me gigabit and allow me to use my own landline phone AND my own router.
    So home phone plugged into service providers box, which is in bridge mode to my own home ASUS router. Or perhaps buy a router myself that has VOIP and plug that directly to the SIRO.
    I know I can plug my existing ASUS directly in, but if I switch I need the landline too, and paying for a separate landline is too much money.
    After talking with Digiweb (very helpful) they told me it's either very hacky or no doable. Talking to Vodafone et al seems to be impossible to speak to anyone that can actually speak about tech to someone who is not yet a customer.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭alec76

Forget about it .No provider do it for you, unless you could do it yourself ( you have to figure out how to hack provider's router to retrieve VOIP username and pass )

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭rogue-entity

Last I spoke to Digiweb about a similar question, as I'm trying to avoid the current hacky situation presented by Virgin, I was told it would be possible but with the caveat that it wouldn't be directly supported. I consider this a fair enough approach, and it implies they would provide the necessary information (server, username, password).

As alec76 pointed out, there's no guarantee that a provider will share this information, though you may have a better chance with Digiweb who at least offer a pretty decent 'modem' with their service.

Advertisement