Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clik for small amount of sheep

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,323 ✭✭✭arctictree

Sami23 wrote: »
    How did you lose a few lambs - would you not have seen them when herding and treated them with dip etc. ?

A combination of lots of factors. Didn't notice them until they were well struck. Can happen very fast. Delay in delivery of the spray too.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 mrfitz

I have a few sheep this year too. Was looking into Clik and other options.
    The Clik protection period is 16 weeks, but is very expensive.
    I've looked at Ectofly; it contains a different active ingredient, but seems to cover everything that Clik does (open to correction on that)
    The protection period of Ectofly is 6 - 8 weeks which would mean doing them 2 or 3 times during the Summer - not a big job when they're in for a footbath or FEC anyway.

It is a lot less expensive than Clik though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,258 ✭✭✭Sami23

mrfitz wrote: »
    I have a few sheep this year too. Was looking into Clik and other options.
    The Clik protection period is 16 weeks, but is very expensive.
    I've looked at Ectofly; it contains a different active ingredient, but seems to cover everything that Clik does (open to correction on that)
    The protection period of Ectofly is 6 - 8 weeks which would mean doing them 2 or 3 times during the Summer - not a big job when they're in for a footbath or FEC anyway.

It is a lot less expensive than Clik though.

Vector has same ingredient as Ectofly and is even cheaper

• Registered Users Posts: 11,165 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Sami23 wrote: »
    Vector has same ingredient as Ectofly and is even cheaper

Ectofly didn't last here, also you have to spread it properly on the sheep whereas Clik travels through the fleece. Ectofly only protects where you put it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

Clik is only expensive the day you pay for it.
    1 lamb not being struck would cover a fair bit of it not to mention the value of peace of mind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭razor8

wrangler wrote: »
    Ectofly didn't last here, also you have to spread it properly on the sheep whereas Clik travels through the fleece. Ectofly only protects where you put it

Used ectofly in the past & definitely doesn’t cover anything near 6-8 weeks. More like 6-8 days.

Unless they dramatically improved the product I wouldn’t recommend it to anyone

• Registered Users Posts: 2,935 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

Clik is only expensive the day you pay for it.
    1 lamb not being struck would cover a fair bit of it not to mention the value of peace of mind.

Agreed. You could have a lamb fit to go that gets struck and he will be a thin store by the end of it, if alive at all. One of them covers the price of it for the year for me, as I only do the lambs (which tends to cover the ewes also). Add in your time treating for maggots and chasing after ones with dirty backends for fear of them, and clik becomes the cheap option.

I see a lad near me going down the ectofly route, out of meaness truth be told - he is doing them and gathering them off the hill again, doing them and getting an odd few struck anyway. 'Ah but that clik is awful dear, this does the job for me, and sure nothing is as good as the plunge dipping for maggots anyway'

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭k mac

Agreed. You could have a lamb fit to go that gets struck and he will be a thin store by the end of it, if alive at all. One of them covers the price of it for the year for me, as I only do the lambs (which tends to cover the ewes also). Add in your time treating for maggots and chasing after ones with dirty backends for fear of them, and clik becomes the cheap option.

I see a lad near me going down the ectofly route, out of meaness truth be told - he is doing them and gathering them off the hill again, doing them and getting an odd few struck anyway. 'Ah but that clik is awful dear, this does the job for me, and sure nothing is as good as the plunge dipping for maggots anyway'
    When you say you only do the lambs and it protects the ewes how does that work. I have only 9 ewes for doing and was advised to get them sheared now and do the lot with clik later but the reason being if I do them with clik now the shearer won't do them. As it is I am struggling to get a Shearer for such small numbers, so if I could get away with just using clik on the lambs who don't need shearing and that meant the ewes were protected it would be ideal

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

k mac wrote: »
    When you say you only do the lambs and it protects the ewes how does that work. I have only 9 ewes for doing and was advised to get them sheared now and do the lot with clik later but the reason being if I do them with clik now the shearer won't do them. As it is I am struggling to get a Shearer for such small numbers, so if I could get away with just using clik on the lambs who don't need shearing and that meant the ewes were protected it would be ideal

Where are you based K-Mac? 9 is a handy number in a way that you load into the trailer and take them to some other lads place...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,935 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

The lambs go back to their mothers after treatment and the close contact between the two be it sucking or lying cloee together, seems to keep maggots at bay for their mothers also. That is horned ewes though, which are less prone to maggots, but it has definitely made a difference here.

• Advertisement

Where are you based K-Mac? 9 is a handy number in a way that you load into the trailer and take them to some other lads place...

Based in mayo but nobody with sheep around my immediate area.

Based in mayo but nobody with sheep around my immediate area.

Unless you get in with another farmer you'll be left until the end of the season. Shearers would be flat out now

The lambs go back to their mothers after treatment and the close contact between the two be it sucking or lying cloee together, seems to keep maggots at bay for their mothers also. That is horned ewes though, which are less prone to maggots, but it has definitely made a difference here.

Usually we wouldn't do the lambs until they're weaned as the ewes would be done and that protected them, however we Clik'd everything yesterday along with bolusing the lambs and second Heptavac

Unless you get in with another farmer you'll be left until the end of the season. Shearers would be flat out now

Would have to agree...

K Mac - do you know any sheep farmers even if they were a bit of a spin away?
    Failing that, would you jump in the car and head in the direction of a known sheep area and just call into a farmer and tell him your story and ask could you bring your sheep?
    2 lads with a few sheep used to do it here, we’d leave them till last to shear... usually the lad bringing them would give you a bit of a hand with our own few...

Best of luck...

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Mad about baa baas

Would 9 sheep be manageable with a hand shears or am I a glutton for punishment?

Would 9 sheep be manageable with a hand shears or am I a glutton for punishment?

Sure you’d hardly have the sheep if you weren’t :)

My father used to do sixty, he'd do a few after tea every evening.
    The dog would pen them in a corner while he was doing a few

I remember the grandfather did about 30 here for us when I was small...
    He would have been in his early 70s at the time. Did half one day, and finished the next...
    The fleece was properly cleaned and rolled up after each one, and that weird twist put in it to hold it... :)
    Hardy man, even at that age...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

Did about that number here with a jakoti last year. Same thing, a few here and there. Did some others with an electric hand held shears also, but preferred the jakoti. Want to be careful of your fingers though.

Did about that number here with a jakoti last year. Same thing, a few here and there. Did some others with an electric hand held shears also, but preferred the jakoti. Want to be careful of your fingers though.

You'd do a lot in a small flock while you'd be waiting for a shearer

• Advertisement

Is there much to it as I wouldn't have a clue. YouTube tutorials needed

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

You'd do a lot in a small flock while you'd be waiting for a shearer

Your right. With the outbreak of the virus last summer, I didnt want to get in a shearer, so just tipped away myself. With price of wool on floor anyway, made no difference if fleece wasnt neatest once I finished.

Finally got my few ewes sheared last week... how long before i should do them with clik?

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Country lad

i think its about 3 weeks after shearing

• Registered Users Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Do you all not bother with traditional dipping any more - either yourselves or hiring in a contractor with the mobile unit? We were thinking of putting in a dipper for the few sheep we have. Once its in, it'll always be there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Tileman

Have plans as part of a new shed to put in a new dipping unit. It’s the only job I think.

however only got one lamb with maggots this year so far. Bought the click but never hit around to putting it on yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Country lad

just power washed ewes yesterday very handy will inject them also in a few weeks before going to ram ..

Advertisement