Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How did you score in your last round? - 2021

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Fuzzyduzzy

Has anyone else been offered a reduced membership fee during closures? Two nearby clubs have done this but not my one

• Registered Users Posts: 4,543 ✭✭✭blue note

God it was good to get back out!

I went to the range on Thursday just so I'd have some sort of swing ready for the first tee. That scared me more than prepared me. First five irons went about 45 degrees right. The rest of the balls were good and bad. So into the first tee today.....

Pitching wedge. About 45 degrees to the right into the thick rough. Then I swept under the ball with my second and moved it about 2 metres forward. But after that it was a mix of very rusty golf and some very decent golf.

37 points overall playing off 16.
    1 birdie
    8 pars
    3 bogeys
    5 doubles
    1 triple

I made a couple of really good putts but had 4 3 putts. I was hitting it good mostly too. Although I was leaving a few more short than normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭rickis tache

40 points off 13.
    11 pars
    6 bogeys
    1 dbl bogey.
    19 out 21 back
    4 fir
    8 gir
    32 putts

Really disappointed with the dbl on the last but course management was good. Tried to remain patient all round.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,945 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Out this morning for 9 in lovely sunshine. 1st of May but still had a 20 minute frost delay. Played much better than Monday, two blow up holes where I found water on one and shanked it on another. But generally striking the ball well and but for a few 3 putts it could have been better.

2 triple bogeys.
    4 bogeys
    3 pars

Back out this morning for another 9 and another 20 minute frost delay!

Slight improvement on yesterday, ball striking was good generally but again two blow up holes, one where I was out of position off the tee and foolishly tried a miracle shot, second one where I bladed my approach through the green and made a hash of it from there.

1 birdie
    3 pars
    3 bogies
    2 triples

Back to 18 holes and qualifying next week so should be interesting to see how it works out with the new handicap.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭Neewollah

3rd day out yesterday. Golf is a funny game. 34 points off 6.

Excellent front 9 of 1 over and completely in control tee to green.

7 over back 9 then came from no where. Driving was excellent but all of a sudden my iron play disappeared and missed in all the wrong places.

I hit more Fairways and GIR's yesterday that both of 1st 2 rounds and ended up 3 points worse off. I'll figure it all out someday :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,355 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

34 points off 8. Being off 8 is great. I feel like I have loads of shots :D

Drove the ball great but some of my iron shots and pitch shots were a bit ropey. Also couldnt buy a putt. Was flying along at level 2's for 14 holes but they've changed the tee on 15 and I misjudged my alignment and hit the ball into a hazard. Walked off with a dbl bogey 6 and then finished the last 3 in level 2's as well. Happy enough though and the 34 points was enough to get a minuscule reduction in my handicap.

9 pars
    8 bogeys
    1 dbl

12/14 FIR
    8/18 GIR

• Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭Motivator

Played my 5th 9 since Monday and the old frustrations are creeping back in. Scratched the first two holes today and then steadied the ship somewhat with a great par on my third hole then birdied index 1 followed by another par then scratched the last three holes.

Mind boggling stuff altogether. I’ve a new driver in the bag and when I hit it I really hit it but when I get it wrong it get it very wrong. I hit a drive and a 7 iron to the index 1 and the last three holes I hooked all three drives viciously. Incredibly frustrating game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭willabur

34 points of 12
    5fir/8Gir
    38!!!!! Putts

Great to be back. Felt good playing a round that meant something also. My putting was atrocious. 4 three putts. Missed 5 putts from inside 3 feet. Ita funny the one thing I was able to practice for the last 4 or 5 months.
    Everything else in my game was great. A few poor iron shots but also some really properly good shots in there also. Looking forward to the season now

• Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

First round back last Friday, a mixed bag really. Started well with a par and then a scratch.
    29pts total off 9.
    33% GIR
    31 putts
    i had 4 scrathces which was the main issue and a few stupid club choices and duffed chips.
    Had a nice few looks for birdies, happy with that for my first game back.

Booked in for a lesson next week so hoping for a good year but also don't mind writing it off to work on the swing.

I was frustrated after yesterday so went back today for more punishment over 9 holes.

Driving was very good, put myself in good positions and it’s just a case of getting used to the new driver. Once I got confident with it today I was hitting it well. My ball striking was excellent and I had four birdie putts in the 9 holes. The greens were impossible to get the pace of after all the rain today and I ended up with 5 three putts - I don’t care though. Tee to green that’s the best I’ve played for as long as I can remember. If I can keep the confidence up with my driver then scores will come this summer.

• Advertisement

I'm reading a lot of comments and suggestions of rustiness so far. But the scores are good. Including my own round.

I wonder how many of the three putts and the like are down to not playing and how many are just part of our normal games!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,567 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Finally managed to get 9 holes in this morning.

16 points for 9 holes.

Driving and putting ok.
    Wedges were fantastic, probably the best I've ever hit them!
    Irons absolutely awful, could barely hit the ball out of my way. Summed up on the 7th. hole by hitting a beauty of a drive, leaving myself 130 in and proceeding to make a 6 my approach shot was so offline :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭coillcam

Played an early front 9 this morning. Asked nicely in the pro shop and they let us out for the back 9 ahead of the first group. Happy days. I've never made so many fairways in my life. Simply by binning the driver and 3w. Zero confidence in them atm and need lessons if I'm being honest.

My 5i and 6i are out of the bag also. The 5i needs a new shaft and the fitter wanted to measure up against the 6i. So I had an interesting setup: 4h, 5h, 7-GW set, 54 and 58 wedges. I had no club for 140-170 carry range which made me think a bit more than usual.

I should have kept stats today and I'm annoyed now that I didn't record the round. I had 3x GIRs for the first time (no birdies sadly) and a couple of pars. The 4h was like a missile off the tee and brilliant from every lie. What a club and I really need to lean on it a bit more. If I was keeping score and taking putting a bit more seriously I'd likely have posted my best round.

The top of my bag seems unnecessarily busy. The 5w and 21 UDI look like they'll go on adverts. Maybe there's an argument for a 3h but for now, 180 yards off the tee to a good position is the way to making GIRs.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭bamayang

coillcam wrote: »
    Played an early front 9 this morning. Asked nicely in the pro shop and they let us out for the back 9 ahead of the first group. Happy days. I've never made so many fairways in my life. Simply by binning the driver and 3w. Zero confidence in them atm and need lessons if I'm being honest.

My 5i and 6i are out of the bag also. The 5i needs a new shaft and the fitter wanted to measure up against the 6i. So I had an interesting setup: 4h, 5h, 7-GW set, 54 and 58 wedges. I had no club for 140-170 carry range which made me think a bit more than usual.

I should have kept stats today and I'm annoyed now that I didn't record the round. I had 3x GIRs for the first time (no birdies sadly) and a couple of pars. The 4h was like a missile off the tee and brilliant from every lie. What a club and I really need to lean on it a bit more. If I was keeping score and taking putting a bit more seriously I'd likely have posted my best round.

The top of my bag seems unnecessarily busy. The 5w and 21 UDI look like they'll go on adverts. Maybe there's an argument for a 3h but for now, 180 yards off the tee to a good position is the way to making GIRs.

Can resonate with that. Played last week and hit the driver pretty well, but a little fade came into the end of each strike, which pushed me off fairway and into tree lines. I counted back 8 shots where I had to hit a 4 iron like a putter, sideways around trees. there can be a big benefit in being straight but shorter.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,567 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

32 points (17/15) off 20. We seem to get a very generous Slope Rating in our curse so I think hcap should prob be closer to 18.

Delighted with it anyway as during the round it felt like on my driver and fairway woods were going in vaguely the direction I wanted.

38 points
    15/23

Terrible start. Bogey, Bogey, double, double
    Arrived 3 mins after tee time due to bad traffic. Once I got going played very well. Back 9 exceptionally well. Putter was great. Felt everything could drop

Pity the guy I was playing with was just putting in his cards for handicap so was unable to attest my score

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭lester76

First round logged today 39pt 84 strokes off 15 played well left plenty behind cut a shot happy out. Gonna be a good year single figures incoming ðŸ‘

Shot 50 (adjusted to 49 on Golf Ireland app due to net double bogey rule) on the back 9 today which is my best back 9 score so far. Driver back in the bag but VERY selective on what situation to use it. An unlucky bounce left me OB and a silly choice of 3w caused another OB.

My swing speed and carry with the driver are definitely up on last summer. Though the local pro says I’m still not hitting up enough. Said to focus on a slower, shallower take away. I could put a lot of work into it BUT it’s probably only 1 stroke to be gained there per round. Practicing simple course management, short game, and putting probably has 3-5 strokes of benefit if I was to guess.

The 50 today and my recent 44 on front 9 would together be my best combined score. I feel I’ve made a ton of improvement since before Christmas. Optimistically and ambitiously targeting to break 90 by end of the month :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

45 strokes for 9 holes.
    1 Triple ( bad bounce off the green shoulder from fairway bunker on the first, failed to recover)
    6 Bogies
    2 Pars

Shouldn't have made it a counting nine holes, only just recovering from a kidney infection but had it pressed before I thought better of it.

Hitting the ball well with my irons and driver is good enough. Chipping is getting there, putting them close but none threatning the hole yet. Putting is OK but needs to get better.

1-2 club length wind at times mixed with some tough flags left it playing tough. Got tired over the last few holes so missed a few good oppurtunites.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

45 from 9 for me this evening.
    1 triple
    2 doubles
    3 bogeys
    3 pars

Gradually getting back into it and glad I went ahead with joining a club this year after a long time away from the game apart from the occasional casual round.

Got longer tees during the week and really helped me with the driver, only missed 1 fairway with the big stick and the other missed fairway was with a hybrid. Irons let me down though, thinned a 5 iron and chunked a couple of irons as well. Finding it hard to get my distances, played what I thought was a perfect 7 iron from about 160ish out that ended up long and then hit what I thought was a perfect 9 that was well short on a 140ish par 3. Chipping and putting was always a fairly good part of my game, 15 putts in total which I was happy with and finally made a long one as well.

Will be submitting a card next weekend for the first time since joining and intend to submit cards for handicap purposes from then on now that we are back to 18 holes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,945 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

First comp back yesterday, teed off at 7.30 in a Gael with torrential rain, rain eased at times but the 18 holes was a complete slog especially as I didn't play particularly well.

18 points on the front 11 on the back.
    93 strokes
    7/14 FIR
    3/18 GIR
    36 putts.

GIR lowest ever possibly just couldn't adjust to the wind and ball just wasn't travelling as far in the rain. 4 doubles on the back 9 was bleak. No adjustment to the handicap.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭rickis tache

87 strokes for a nett score of 75.
    1 birdie
    7 pars
    5 bogeys
    4 dbl bogey
    1 triple bogey.
    34 putts.

Really tough conditions with a 2/3 club wind and very heavy showers. Had to carry bag too which I really felt over the last 6 holes.

27 points 11/16
    Super tough conditions. Wind was there all day long with rain for first hour. Played some pure stupid shots at times, especially front 9. Pulled it together somewhat on the back 9. Managed to chalk in my longest drive ever, 347 yards wind assisted.

Poor score aside, super enjoyable round of golf. A few hero shots came off which always makes it worthwhile

25 points yesterday off 16. It was a mix of tough conditions (huge wind), some rusty golf (4 bad three putts), and some brutal golf (5 lost balls from the tee on 3 holes).

One interesting thing I noticed is that even though I was submitting a card I played differently to playing in a comp. Basically I hit driver on 3 holes (5 lost balls) when I pretty much never would in a competition in that wind (unless I was playing crap anyway). I didn't intend to until standing on the tee.

Still on practice mode until the competitions kick back in so I decided to brave the elements yesterday and play in the gale force wind.

16 points on the long 9 holes on our course yesterday was serious going. Our index 2 is a dogleg par 4 which normally if I get a good drive away it’s a 7 iron to the green. Yesterday I gave my drive everything and I had to hit a 5 wood to the green and was still short. Windy conditions, while obviously unpleasant, are a serious test of golf and to walk off with 16 points for 9 holes I was delighted.

A very good score on those 9 holes when conditions are ideal is 20/21 points so to be anywhere near that in terrible weather is a great confidence boost. I hit two bad shots in 9 holes and the rest I was happy about. My putting is terrible but the greens seem to be changing every day due to wind, rain, sun or dew so there has been no two days the same since we’ve got back playing. The things I was worried about last week - my alignment and my driving - seem to be improving each hole I play so I’m confident of making a real run at things this summer and looking to get my handicap right down. I think I’m capable of losing 4 or 5 shots definitely before September and that’s purely based on how well my ball striking has been. I’ll need to sort my putting but I think seeing some consistency with the greens themselves will bring that improvement on and the rest is just practice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,607 ✭✭✭token56

Playing off 24 I had 37 points in my last round. I wouldn't mind but I started great and had 12 points after 4 holes being 1 over but fell apart in the middle of the round.

My biggest issue is just that lack of consistency and concentration throughout the round. I know I can do a lot better.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Lefty2Guns

Won my first competition at the weekend.

38 points on a windy Arklow course.
    18 Front
    20 Back

Delighted with my first win.

Got a front 9 in this morning with a few mates for a friendly fiver four-ball. Had 2 GIRs and ended up with 3 pars. Didn't record the round as I didn't need to putt each hole in this format but it should have been the mid 40s.

Will definitely need to spend some time at the range dialing in my distances as I'm now quite often hitting 1 club past the hole/landing area. One of the lads said I'm striking more consistently and rotating through impact better. Largely just from playing more often.

I fully understand that there isn't linear progression in scoring over time and expect a plateau is on the way. Nonetheless, I'm loving the newbie gains. Three pars in an 18 hole round was a dream last winter never mind 9 holes.

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭IAmTitleist

Playing off 8 i shot +16 last night.

Absolutely demoralising.

Drove the ball about as well as i ever have, irons were good. Chipping and putting were a joke, confidence on the greens is gone. Putting is usually my strongest point.

Golf is stupidly hard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭Neewollah

72 strokes....1 over par off 6

3 birdies,
    4 bogeys,
    11 pars.

41 points

Feel like i left an under par slip with 2 three putts but driving the ball great. Irons were still a bit hit and miss and putting needs a bit of work but happy all round.

Advertisement