Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How did you score in your last round? - 2021

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭MorganIRL

Course comp changed to strokes today so shot nett 80, off 24. PTS 31 if it was recorded, scored well on the right holes. Downed the tee on the first again this wk. I know it's cause I'm not warmed up.. shocking round really.. lost 5 I think.. back to the drawing board.

39pts off 23, poor enough front 9 started well but went a bit downhill from 4-8 ended with 17 pts. Had and eagle putt on 10 that just went by the right edge and broke left. Tapped in birdie and went on got a good run from there. A good round was dropping from my last 20 so needed a decent round to avoid going up

• Registered Users Posts: 20,362 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

33 points off 8. Terrible start. I was 5 over for the first 4 holes but I steadied the ship after that and standing on the 15th tee I was 7 over and back in the game. Then I finished with 4 bogeys in a row for 11 over. Gutted. Awful start, awful finish. beautiful middle. Didnt make a single putt all day though. If i start figuring out how to putt, I'm gonna start shooting some serious scores

• Registered Users Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Motivator

Had an absolute shocker today. Started par, par, birdie, par. 12 points after 4 and fell apart after that. I struck the ball very well on the front but just couldn’t score. A very tricky par 4 on the front if you’re brave and take on the trouble with your drive you’ve a 9 iron left. I took the brave option feeling confident after a great start, caught my 9 iron a little thin and got a horrible kick off the side of the green and kicked 10 yards into trouble. I’ve played the hole 1,000 times and never once got the kick I got today - not even playing 4 and 5 irons when bailing out off the tee. Took 5 to get down from 15 yards and my head went after that.

Finished the front terribly and decided I’d try and make things happen on the back. Lost my drive on the 10th and I knew it was in trouble but didn’t hit a second ball. My interest was gone at that stage even though I had plenty of time to turn it around and get myself going. Had a 50 footer eagle putt after 2 bombs into the longest par 5 we have - I walked off with a 7. Such a disappointing day and after such a good start my game just fell apart. My driving was terrible, I hit probably 4 solid iron shots I was happy about, chipping was terrible and putting was terrible also. The only positive was the weather but it’s days like today that make you question why you bother. The birdie is the one score that’ll bring me back tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,742 ✭✭✭✭Wichita Lineman

Started with 2 pars, felt good and was grand for the front 9 without being in any way spectacular. Stinker of a back 9. Nett 78 off 20. Strokeplay off the back tees in Moate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭martinkop

Absolutely sh!te. Back tees, stroke. Started bad, finished bad. Hit a century :(
    Couple of good holes in the middle. Managed to get a bird to get on the list of a new birdie accumulation comp the club have started.

Chipping is just shocking, how can a simple shot be so difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Soundshkin

On Friday had my best ever round with 39 points off 23, competition runs for Friday / Saturday to ensure everyone gets to play and had issues submitting the score on the computer in the locker room and the pro shop was closed. Went back up Saturday morning and could not enter score due to my round being the previous day, dropped the card off in the box but it goes as a no return it seems... Would of finished 3rd overall!

Went out Sunday and had 27 points, knew going out was never going to be a great round after the high of the Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭willabur

Won last 16 match in the club matchplay 2&1
    I was giving up 7 shots to my competitor and he played really well on the day. Very happy to have gotten past him. He had 41 points on the day playing off 19, I had 39 with 2 scratches.

Had a back spasm just before the round started. First tee box pulling back the club I wasn't 100% sure I was going to be able to get it back to the ball. Turns out the slight restriction I felt was great for my iron play but terrible for my driver. I lost two holes by going OB with driver.
    But apart from those two holes and one other sloppy 3 putt I was very solid going around

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,187 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

30 points yesterday morning. Started well enough, with 18 points on the front 9. Bogeyed the index one 10th hole, then 4 points over the next 6 holes (including 4 lost balls). Ended on two pars though, which i was happy with.

I'm still a bit all over the place at the moment. Short game has been very good, but everything else is very hit and miss. Drives are either straight down the middle, or 500 yards to the right. Long irons are just miss, with almost no hits. Not sure what i'm doing wrong, but its very hard to string anything together at the moment, and can be bloody frustrating. Need to get some lessons asap to figure it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

86 for 37 points in Concra Wood

Left a good few putts in the jaws, two of them birdie putts which galled.

Few bad swings on the back hurt the score, made the turn at 4 over.

Back to 12.5 index

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,568 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

32 points off 20 in Castlewarden yesterday evening.

Again putting and short game are dialled in, only one three putt and it was from about 60 feet. Can't hit anything above an 8 iron to save my life, I think only one went straight all day. Only hit driver once all day. When I catch it properly it's going a mile, but that is very rare. My 3 wood is carrying a nice distance and pretty straight so just hitting that off every tee.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭blue note

blue note wrote: »

oh no, what happened?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭blue note

I'm taking a mulligan. Not counting that post.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

Went out for a short notice 9 this evening and decided I might as well get someone to mark it as part of my 3 qualifying scores to get my handicap. Played distinctly average to poor most of the round until the 8th when I blow up, lost 2 off the tee before I got one in play, limped in with a 9 on what is a fairly straightforward hole. Had 3 pars, 3 bogeys, a double and a woeful triple after being greenside in 2. Lots to work on, if I hadn't had the blow up it probably would have been an ok score but that's how it goes.

One thing I'm noticing now that I'm back playing regularly is that if I'm not comfortable over the ball I'll always hit a terrible shot. Can be as simple as feeling rushed or setup not being quite right and rather than taking the extra second or two to reset myself I swing away and invariably it goes wrong. Think I'll probably start off with something in or around the 18 mark based on the scores I have submitted to date but I'm still 36 holes away from getting a handicap so we'll see.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,575 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Went out for a short notice 9 this evening and decided I might as well get someone to mark it as part of my 3 qualifying scores to get my handicap. Played distinctly average to poor most of the round until the 8th when I blow up, lost 2 off the tee before I got one in play, limped in with a 9 on what is a fairly straightforward hole. Had 3 pars, 3 bogeys, a double and a woeful triple after being greenside in 2. Lots to work on, if I hadn't had the blow up it probably would have been an ok score but that's how it goes.

One thing I'm noticing now that I'm back playing regularly is that if I'm not comfortable over the ball I'll always hit a terrible shot. Can be as simple as feeling rushed or setup not being quite right and rather than taking the extra second or two to reset myself I swing away and invariably it goes wrong. Think I'll probably start off with something in or around the 18 mark based on the scores I have submitted to date but I'm still 36 holes away from getting a handicap so we'll see.

Not sure if the system has changed but it used to be the case I believe that any blow ups would be brought to prety much a net double bogey for the purpose of handicap calculations

35 points (22/13) off 20 in Blessington Lakes today.

1 Birdie
    2 Pars
    9 Bogeys
    5 Doubles
    1 Scratch

93 strokes. Disgusted with myself, my chance to break 90 for the first time was on and I played the last four holes as Triple, Double, Bogey, Double. Weather was lovely but it was a tough day, Index 1&2 both straight into the wind as well as a long Par 5.

Frisbee wrote: »
    35 points (22/13) off 20 in Blessington Lakes today.

1 Birdie
    2 Pars
    9 Bogeys
    5 Doubles
    1 Scratch

93 strokes. Disgusted with myself, my chance to break 90 for the first time was on and I played the last four holes as Triple, Double, Bogey, Double. Weather was lovely but it was a tough day, Index 1&2 both straight into the wind as well as a long Par 5.

Were you counting your score and aware of it coming off 14th? If so, try playing and not counting your score as you go. Dont look at how you are after 9 holes, ask your marker not to say it, if you need to.

You'll generally know how your doing and if you're playing well, but I find you can get in your own way of you get too focused on your score too much

Nope wasn't counting. I knew I had a decent score going but hadn't done any of the maths. So I can't even blame that for such an epic meltdown. :o

15: Tee shot into the water. Drop was blocked from going for the green, tried to force it and put it into the water again just shy of the green.
    16: Sliced my drive way right, ended up playing back up the 15th fairway as had no line. Two pitches to get to the green.
    17: Long Par 5 uphill and into the wind. Smoked a Driver and then a 3 wood and left myself 60 yards or so in. Pitch was a good line but just didn't get the bite on it and it rolled waaaay out and then had my only 3 putt of the day.
    18:Pulled my drive left. Long Par 5 dogleg right so made the whole very long for myself. 3 wood caught a tree. Next 3 wood didn't catch all of it. Pitched into the bunker, chip out and 2 putt.

So frustrating as I made errors on those four holes I hadn't been making all day. But sure, we go again.

played 4somes yesterday, warmup for interclubs next week

could barely hit the ball out of my way, spent most of the round either putting the ball behind a tree or hacking it out of a tree
    I putted like an absolute god
    4 down after 5 holes
    2 up after 11
    won the game on 17. Seriously the putter was just unreal. Rolled them in from all over the parish. Felt bad for the other lads, they played well tee to green only for topper mcgee to sneak hole after hole on them.

lies, didn't feel bad at all

• Advertisement

Not sure if the system has changed but it used to be the case I believe that any blow ups would be brought to prety much a net double bogey for the purpose of handicap calculations

Didn't know that, thanks for the info. Am back out again for 18 tomorrow and will be submitting a card so hoping to avoid a similar incident.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,023 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

33 points off 17(17/16). Bit of a crazy round, had pars on the index 1, 2 and 3. Greens were rock hard and fast, a few times I landed approach shots on them and the ball bounced way up in the air like it hit a path. Putting all over the place, I was either holing really long ones or 3/4 putting, all down to pace.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭coillcam

50 on the front 9 blue tees (back) yesterday for a reality check :D

My highlight reel was pretty impressive on the first few holes. Duck hook on 1st tee. Two duck hooks OB on 2nd tee. Shanked over to next hole on Par 5 4th hole, then duffed it OB. Finally managed to pull it back a bit with a Par-Par-Bogey finish.

The first Par was on the index 1 long par 4 into the wind. I've never had the distance to reach the green on the blues and struggle from the whites so this was huge for me. For my 2nd I hit a 200yd hybrid that leaked 20yds right of the green but relatively close to pin high. Pitched it close and rolled in for one of the best holes I've ever played.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭finglashoop

round of my life this morning.
    playing handicap is 17.

everything was working really well for once.
    very little sand in bunkers so cost me as was unsure of myself for first one and then chickened out of second one as i was greenside.

par
    par
    par
    par
    birdie (2s aswell)
    bogey - bunker shot flew 20 yards over green
    double- bunker shot 2 yards out of bunker
    par
    bogey

3 over thru 9

par
    double
    par
    double
    par
    par
    par
    par
    par

7 over

10 x 1 putts
    8 x 2 putts

77 strokes in total

Really had the round that got away from me today. 80 strokes for 38 points, but the scorecard tells an interesting story.

Par
    Par
    Bogey
    Birdie
    Par
    Bogey
    Bogey
    Birdie
    Par

So 1 over through 9. Then on to back 9

Par
    Birdie
    Double
    Birdie
    Bogey
    Par

So sitting at 2 over through 15 holes.

3 to play and the rails came off.

16 - Pull hook off the tee. Tried to play sensible and just hit a 9 iron back in play, clipped a branch and dropped into fairway bunker, 180 yards out. Made a reasonable connection but caught under a tree just off the fairway. Punched it under the tree and on to the green. 3 putted for a 7. Last putt was missed from about 6 inches

17 - hit a good tee shot, but got a terrible kick and into greenside bunker. Lipped out the putt for a bogey

18 - first really bad tee shot off the day. A pushy face on the only hole you cant hit one. OB off the tee. 2nd ball par for a double.

So 2 over for 15 holes, 6 over for last 3.

Still adds a good score to my 20 in place of a good round that dropped out, so good timing. 4 birdies in one round is a record for me I think.

Could have been a great one.

Out today to submit a score for my handicap, was out at 2.50pm so missed the rain and was lovely weather the whole way around thankfully. Driver was the difference for me today, shot 85 and should have been lower but for a couple of silly shots. Main thing was I was never OB/lost off the tee which i almost invariably do on one hole each round to date which costs me a half decent score.

Had a great back 9 going, +3 on the 17th tee. 9i to the green side bunker and hit a great shot to about 5 ft. Missed the putt which was really poor and walked off with a bogey. 18th I setup to play a fade for some unknown reason(the whole doglegs left so a draw is the shot), hit a really good drive but faded into the right rough a long way back on a par 5. Completely mi**** a 4i which barely went 80 yards so was looking at 165ish into the green for my 3rd. Solid contact but was just a poor line and went straight into the green side bunker. Almost impossible to get it close to the flag where it was so just got out of the bunker and had a 30ish foot for par. Gave it a decent roll and left myself a 4 ft putt for a bogey, missed that and tapped in for a double which was very disappointing. Was confident of a par standing on the tee as its a very reachable par 5 if in play off the tee, at worst I thought I'd be two putting for a par.

Thats likely to be my best of the 3 scores I submit, not sure how its calculated but was told that they'd take the lowest score as the basis for my initial handicap.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,187 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

34 points today, which i was fairly happy with, but could have been a lot better. Had 21 points on the front 9, including 2 birdies (one a nice chip in from around 30 yards). Got really unlucky on the 11th, where i hit a great drive over the bend, but missed the fairway by a foot and ended up in some absolute ****e. Dug my way out in 2, but scratched the hole. Scratched 14 as well, after my first bad drive of the day.

Was focusing on keeping my left arm straight on my drives, and it really worked. Out again in the morning, and looking forward to putting up a proper score.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

@ivefoundgod you’ll likely be given something like 9 or 10 I’d guess

callaway92 wrote: »
    @ivefoundgod you’ll likely be given something like 9 or 10 I’d guess

I should have said its a par 70 in Carlow so hardly be that low would it? I'm nowhere that level I don't think :o

Is it right that once I've 20 scores in they average out the best 8 for calculating it? Different playing partners have told me a load of different thing about handicap, am just confused now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

I should have said its a par 70 in Carlow so hardly be that low would it? I'm nowhere that level I don't think :o

Is it right that once I've 20 scores in they average out the best 8 for calculating it? Different playing partners have told me a load of different thing about handicap, am just confused now.

Ha fair enough, but I’d still say they’ll have you off 12 so.

They can’t put you off something like 15 when you’ve already shown you’re shooting that score!

Advertisement