Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How did you score in your last round? - 2021

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

callaway92 wrote: »
    Ha fair enough, but I’d still say they’ll have you off 12 so.

They can’t put you off something like 15 when you’ve already shown you’re shooting that score!

That makes sense I suppose. Wish there was a bit more transparency around handicaps, have heard about 10 different things from various playing partners about how its calculated.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

That makes sense I suppose. Wish there was a bit more transparency around handicaps, have heard about 10 different things from various playing partners about how its calculated.

Have a read of the WHS thread on here. Plenty of good info and posts from guys working as handicap secs on their home clubs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭coillcam

Shot 46 on the front 9 yesterday evening. Finally got my first birdie of the year, the first time on the index 3 Par 5. It was a beautiful evening for golf, with no wind and not too hot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,123 ✭✭✭finglashoop

round of my life this morning.
    playing handicap is 17.

everything was working really well for once.
    very little sand in bunkers so cost me as was unsure of myself for first one and then chickened out of second one as i was greenside.

par
    par
    par
    par
    birdie (2s aswell)
    bogey - bunker shot flew 20 yards over green
    double- bunker shot 2 yards out of bunker
    par
    bogey

3 over thru 9

par
    double
    par
    double
    par
    par
    par
    par
    par

7 over

10 x 1 putts
    8 x 2 putts

77 strokes in total

lost on a card playoff, not sure how it works but thats the second time ive been the wrong side of one

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭rickis tache

37 points off 12.
    3 birdies (most I ever had in a round)
    6 pars
    5 bogeys
    3 double bogeys
    1 triple bogey.
    31 putts
    Sloppy mental attitude caused at least 4 dropped shots but very happy with the 3 birdies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

Playing V Par today. Finished +1 of 19 but to my surprise I broke 90 for the first time.

5 Pars
    8 Bogeys
    5 Doubles

Nothing worse then a double.

Two things that help this.
    No 3 putts, never put myself in 3 putt country
    If Driver was in rough play a 6 Iron or lower for second shot

88 Gross

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Mac_Lad71

35 points off 10.
    1 birdie
    7 pars
    8 bogeys
    2 doubles

Few sloppy mistakes around the greens but overall pretty happy with ball striking.

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭IAmTitleist

Shot +6 gross last night and bogeyed the last 5 in a row. :(

In the good old days before WHS that would have got me a nice 0.6 cut...but i had a 78 dropping out so instead i got cut 0.1

The joys :D

Aaaaaaaaand on Saturday. Sitting +3 gross with 4 to play.

Finished with a 78 and +8 gross.

Finishing off a round is so difficult and is definitely more a mental thing than anything for me. Handicap is 9 so could and should have been walking away with a nice Saturday comp victory which is very rare.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,123 ✭✭✭finglashoop

followed 77 on saturday with a solid 85 in beech park today for 37 points.

greens tricky enough
    11 pars
    5 doubles
    2 bogeys

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭coillcam

Shot 102 today (WHS adjusted for 2x net doubles on Golf Ireland app.)
    2 pars
    6 bogeys
    3 doubles
    7 triples or worse
    2 OBs
    1 water hazard

Had a mare of a round but still really enjoyed it. The highlight hole was a Par 5 where I managed to hit both fairway and greenside bunkers yet still made par. Hit my longest drive ever 280+ yards and it found the fairway (downwind and elevated tee).

• Advertisement

33 points of 12
    Indifferent days play.....but got to see my nephew shoot his best round. A 69 gross off 5 including 5 birdies and an eagle. Different gravy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,544 ✭✭✭blue note

Unbelievable weather for the golf. I did my best to put myself in bad humour, but to be honest, you can't get upset in weather like this.

Started great. Playing off 15 I was +2 after 5 holes, so 2 under handicap. I bogied the index 1 and three putted an easy par 3. That was a little annoying, but the round was looking great.

Then I shanked a wedge OB on 6 - scratch. Still level to my handicap so just a setback.
    Duffed a 9 iron on 7 into the thick stuff. Ended up with a scratch. I should still post a decent card.
    Was perfect from the tee on 8. Odds on for a par for 3 points. Then I shanked a 9 iron into bushes. Retook the shot, still odds on for a point. Shanked again into the same bushes. Scratch.
    Par 3 9th - shanked a 6 iron from the tee into bushes. Another scratch.

After that I generally played well again. Parred 10 and 11. I aimed for the left side of the fairway on 12 and pulled my drive OB. It's a rare miss for me, so don't get too mad when I do it. Ended with a 7 (another scratch).

I had one other shank in the round on 16. Perfect drive, easy approach, shanked OB. I put the other on the green at least, but 3 putted for another scratch.

So all in - 27 points off 15 (playing handicap)

6 pars
    5 bogies
    1 double for a point
    6 scratches

3 bad 3 putts which would usually be the most annoying part of the round. But the 5 scratches were definitely the most annoying part of the round!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

Out again yesterday for another round as part of my handicap qualifying scores. Only 9 holes left to submit now so looking forward to being able to enter the competitions.

Glorious weather yesterday evening although wind did pick up in the back 9. As seems to be recurring theme I started ok but poor putting in the first couple of holes let me down and I bogied the first 4 holes. Had a decent look at a birdie on the 5th but walked off with a par. Then went bogey, bogey before once again blowing up on the 8th hole. I'm beginning to develop a dangerous mental block on this tee shot, once again I lost one off the tee (despite taking an iron in the hopes of keeping it in play). Hit my 3rd down the fairway but was way back, took a 4i which I thought I hit ok but it leaked way right into the long stuff, ball lost. Put down another and hacked my way down to the green before eventually making a 9. My last 3 plays of this hole have been, 9, 6, 9. The 6 could easily have been a 9 too only for a very lucky bounce off a tree. Need to figure out this hole as its destroying my rounds.

Back 9 went much better and had a decent run of pars going but again some silly putting let me down. Finished with a nice birdie on the 18th to keep me coming back. 46 out, 42 in for a 88.

1 birdie
    4 pars
    10 bogeys
    2 doubles
    1 quintuple bogey (didn't even know there was a word for this)

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭MorganIRL

Played the Old Tom Morris course in Rossapena yesterday. Was away up there for the weekend and couldn't miss the opportunity to play it. I now wish I had, couldn't string 2 shots together.. didn't do it justice, greens were very impressive, very true. Fairways immaculate.. only good thing that came out of the day was I broke a 100 (98 actually) 1st time this year. 1of my goals done. Playing of 26 now with the new WHS HC system.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭mamaz

91 two days ago and 97 yesterday.

The 97 felt like a 110 though I was all over the place but getting up and down well - I'm so used to playing on my own (very fast pace) that when I play with others for some reason I can't concentrate.

Also got my first lesson today which should hopefully start the journey down to a single digit handicap!!

• Registered Users Posts: 48,742 ✭✭✭✭Wichita Lineman

33pts on Sunday, 28pts on Monday. Short game very hit and miss.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,019 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

33 points(16/17) off 17. Decent tee to green but putting very poor, several 3 putts and missed 3 footers which I really should be sinking. Greens are rock hard and my confidence if shot on them lately. Two scratches. Random lost ball on a hole where I've ever never lost one before, it went onto another fairway but nowhere to be found. Second one I thinned it out of a greenside bunker on the 18th to right in front of the clubhouse terrace, was so embarrassed I just picked it up and called the hole a scratch. Probably could've got bogey at least if I'd played it.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭mamaz

Second one I thinned it out of a greenside bunker on the 18th to right in front of the clubhouse terrace, was so embarrassed I just picked it up and called the hole a scratch. Probably could've got bogey at least if I'd played it.

Nothing worse

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭square ball

Played a society outing Saturday and scored 33 points off 28 which they gave me because it was my first outing and played the old course in Lahinch Sunday scoring 19 points off 25.

Got my first handicap Tuesday after submitting cards with 105+ stroke rounds and ended up with a handicap of 22. Thought it was mad low and I'd never be able to match it but went around my own course tonight in 87 strokes for 43 points.

5 pars
    11 bogeys
    2 doubles

Not sure where it came from but everything seemed to click. I was getting an extra 10-15 down the middle off the tee, hitting irons well, 2 putt or better on all holes. Chipping around the green was slightly worse than normal but putting made up for it.

My aim for the year was to go around below 90 a few times so delighted.

I probably won't be able to hit it out of my way next week now.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,205 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Have only played 2 rounds since the restrictions we lifted and I must say yesterday was one of my toughest golfing days on the couse in over 10 years, only i was out with a great bunch of lads and miles from home, I would have walked in. It was very windy and at a links course so not ideal when you are struggling but thats still no excuse for how bad i was!!

I'm struggling big time with my new driver at the moment, fine at the range and even at the practice area yesterday I was creaming them but step up onto the first tee and topped the ball. Same on second and third before I resorted to my 5 iron and was fine for a few holes. Unfortunately even that deserted me a few holes into the back 9. I can reset myself after every bad shot and not let it get into my head, even standing on the tee I don't have any negative thoughts or fear of hitting the club as I know I can hit it.
    My next step is to book a few lessons and see, but I'd rather get a lesson at the range and then a playing lesson if possible as any time I go to the range - I can hit driver no problem at all (BTW - I use a range with grass tee boxes and not mats)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭willabur

charlieIRL wrote: »
    Have only played 2 rounds since the restrictions we lifted and I must say yesterday was one of my toughest golfing days on the couse in over 10 years, only i was out with a great bunch of lads and miles from home, I would have walked in. It was very windy and at a links course so not ideal when you are struggling but thats still no excuse for how bad i was!!

I'm struggling big time with my new driver at the moment, fine at the range and even at the practice area yesterday I was creaming them but step up onto the first tee and topped the ball. Same on second and third before I resorted to my 5 iron and was fine for a few holes. Unfortunately even that deserted me a few holes into the back 9. I can reset myself after every bad shot and not let it get into my head, even standing on the tee I don't have any negative thoughts or fear of hitting the club as I know I can hit it.
    My next step is to book a few lessons and see, but I'd rather get a lesson at the range and then a playing lesson if possible as any time I go to the range - I can hit driver no problem at all (BTW - I use a range with grass tee boxes and not mats)

I know alot of people wouldn't necessarily be time rich but could be worth giving yourself and extra hour and get to driving range to warm up before next round. 10-15 shots with driver until you find your slot

I find it unless I am warmed up the driver will be very erratic for first few holes

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,205 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

willabur wrote: »
    I know alot of people wouldn't necessarily be time rich but could be worth giving yourself and extra hour and get to driving range to warm up before next round. 10-15 shots with driver until you find your slot

I find it unless I am warmed up the driver will be very erratic for first few holes

Cheers but I do that all the time - get to the course early and hit a few balls, was the same yesterday. I got there an hour early and got a bucket of range balls and hit about 20 drives from a grass tee box after I had warmed up with a few different irons, every one of them were fine. I don't think I've played 5 times after getting straight out of the car and go directly to first tee.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,567 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

31 points (13/18) off 20 in Castlewarden yesterday. Couldn't hit the ball out of my way on the front 9 and for the start of the back 9 and then figured really strong with a birdie and a few pars.

First round since we have come back where my short game cost me a few shots rather than saved them for me. Wedges from 50 yards and in which are usually the best part of my game just totally cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,019 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

35(17/18) off 17. Trending better but putting absolutely killing me, 3 putt 4 greens I hit in regulation and missed a load of 2 or 3 footers. Spent 15 minutes practicing putting before my round but clearly I need more. Scratched the 18th for the 3rd round in a row, I hate that hole but need to figure out how to score on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Mac_Lad71

36 points off 10.

1 birdie.
    7 pars.
    9 bogeys.
    1 double.

Missed six putts inside 6 feet so feel I left a really good score slip.

Played front nine today as foursome with my pierce purcell partner and it's was just meh. 4 over.
    Decided to play back nine as singles from the back tees. 39 strokes later 1 birdie, 5 pars, 2 bogeys and a double.
    Foursome golf is so difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Played front nine today as foursome with my pierce purcell partner and it's was just meh. 4 over.
    Decided to play back nine as singles from the back tees. 39 strokes later 1 birdie, 5 pars, 2 bogeys and a double.
    Foursome golf is so difficult.

4 over through 9 would generally be classed as decent shooting in Pierce Purcell I would have thought? Dont they generally say Bogey golf will have you in the mix?

Was expecting better tbh. Some silly shots on 3 holes really messed it up. If 4 over us considered decent then happy days.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭big_drive

4 over for nine holes at Purcell level won't see you beaten any day

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,610 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

It’s kinda scary that you’re saying +4 for 9 is meh for teammates that should be adding up to a 20+ handicap

Advertisement