Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Log cabin

Options
  • 27-04-2021 2:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi,

I'm not sure if I'm posting in the right forum so apologies if I'm in the wrong place

Has anyone had any dealings with a company called Log Cabins LV?

I am looking to get a log cabin built in my back garden and found this company online offering reasonable prices. I've been in contact with the owner for the last couple of weeks about planning, prices etc. and he seems legit.

However, I cannot find any reviews about the Irish company online. The company's website was the first to show up on Google but it was an ad and can't find the website outside of the ad. He sent me an email with order details and is looking for 50% deposit which seems very high to me. The company address was included on this and when I searched on Google maps it was a residential property in Kilkenny.

Something just feels a bit off. Any help appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4 FatGoldMonkey

It's not an Irish company. .lv is the internet country code for Latvia.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,408 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

• Registered Users Posts: 69,012 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Domain bought using a privacy service. Website has no address and just a mobile number. English is of quite a poor standard.

I'd want to know a lot more about them before sending a cent over.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Tazium

50% is a high deposit amount and likely significant given the average prices of these things. Loghouse.ie took 30% upfront for our one. There's a need for more competition in the space, but I wouldn't be paying without a signed contract and some evidence of work undertaken to-date. The site linked also uses rendered pictures only.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Just look into this carefully... if its a "shed" you'll be fine, if its a "dwelling" you'll need planning permission which you will never get as Irish laws will not approve these as "livable". Just FYI.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,085 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

I am looking to get a log cabin built in my back garden and found this company online offering reasonable prices. I've been in contact with the owner for the last couple of weeks about planning, prices etc. and he seems legit.

Just a word of warning. You won't get planning permission to use as a dwelling. You can get permission for an office, playroom etc but not to live in

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Can't comment on them other than I know https://www.logcabins4less.ie/ is certainly legit, I pass its premises regularly on the road

• Subscribers Posts: 41,645 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

nothing under "construction" or "insulation" speaks volumes

these are sheds, not houses

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

If it is those guys:
    - the logo is the same as https://www.logcabinslv.co.uk/ and https://www.logcabins.lv/
    - the name isn't registered with the CRO (although the UK one is , in the UK)
    - the same contact number appears on a couple of DoneDeal ads
    - they've apparently been in business since 2001 but the website is brand new
    - there's no T+C or privacy policy on the website
    - the company name on donedeal matches the "designed by" name on the website (Straight Solutions). But again only seems to be very recent.
    - That name is registered with the CRO, but only since December
    - On the plus side, there's a fair chunk of text on the "About us" page, and it doesn't seem to have been scraped from anywhere else based on searching a few phrases

Obviously it is possible it's all legit and it's a 20 year old company that only got a web presence last year, or the existing UK company testing the waters here. There's only one post on their blog page which refers to "our market expansion on ROI". And while some of the other stuff looks dodgy, I've a funny feeling that might be the case.

But I'd be wary of handing over a large deposit without getting some further details or asking for referrals.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭coleen

I saw a nice cabin built by people that live near me. The company are from Tipperary.
    https://www.cabins4u.ie/ It looks nice and was done quickly but I dont know the people so I have no idea of cost or if they were happy with how it turned out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,478 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

https://www.loghouse.ie/showrooms/

My aunt & uncle had one from this company. 100% satisfied. I’ve not been in it myself but he’d be picky.

Advertisement