Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arlene, Edwin, her replacement and his replacement as leader of the DUP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,301 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

briany wrote: »
    Petitions of Concern are used by both sides, although it appears that Unionist parties have used it a bit more than Nationalist ones. It's definitely been used as blunt instrument too much, but it's part of the GFA, so we are where we are with it.
    A bit more?
    https://www.thedetail.tv/articles/stormont-s-petition-of-concern-used-115-times-in-five-years
    A lot more (cover 5 years up to 2016)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

briany wrote: »
    Petitions of Concern are used by both sides, although it appears that Unionist parties have used it a bit more than Nationalist ones. It's definitely been used as blunt instrument too much, but it's part of the GFA, so we are where we are with it.

Let's not "both sides" this one. The POC is used to further the DUP's discriminatory agenda.

It's used to stop the North moving into line with the rest of the island or the rest of the UK wrt marriage equality and abortion. The DUP consistently sought to deny these rights to their constituents because they are bigots.

Thankfully, their intransigence saw Westminster legislate for them, which was rather delicious. Even if it meant Westminster legislating.

gmisk wrote: »

It was up to 159 as of Oct 2019 as it happens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,301 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

It was up to 159 as of Oct 2019 as it happens.
    And what proportion is DUP? I would say the majority.
    They regularly misuse it as you say.

Oh easily.

I'm doing a college assignment now and trying not to get dragged down a rabbit hole.
    :D:D:D:D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

The DUP alone are usually responsible for about 3/4 of all PoCs.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭dd973

Arlene Foster to step down as leader of the DUP https://jrnl.ie/5422054

I honestly think the replacements are a lot lot worse....Poots makes Foster look liberal

Good, wheel him in, makes 'em look even more ridiculous. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,355 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    the DUP are not calling for people to be hurt

But that is where it ends up whenever a group in society is regarded as inferior. Always.
    until quite recently, most people were not in favour of gay marriage

Until quite recently, most people didn't know it was a possibility, but when they considered it, they said "why not?"
    in much of Europe its still only a minority who support it , thinking of perfectly civilised nations like Poland.

Between the governing party and the Catholic Church, operating hand-in-hand, Poland is sadly turning into a far-right sh*thole. Both of them are doing it to gain power and influence for themselves and they give not a f*ck for who gets hurt (literally) along the way
    a lot of unionists are traditional on matters like that , so what ?

Easy to say when you're not the person being publicly vilified for who you are, or discriminated against.

How can it be not OK for unionists to discriminate against catholics/nationalists in the past if it is now OK for unionists to discriminate against women and homosexuals?

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,397 ✭✭✭secman

The elders in the DUP actually believe they can put the genie back in the bottle !
    That can only be good news when you think about it.
    Nearly as funny as the pre Brexit call "make Britain great again " :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,944 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

But that is where it ends up whenever a group in society is regarded as inferior. Always.

Until quite recently, most people didn't know it was a possibility, but when they considered it, they said "why not?"

Between the governing party and the Catholic Church, operating hand-in-hand, Poland is sadly turning into a far-right sh*thole. Both of them are doing it to gain power and influence for themselves and they give not a f*ck for who gets hurt (literally) along the way

Easy to say when you're not the person being publicly vilified for who you are, or discriminated against.

How can it be not OK for unionists to discriminate against catholics/nationalists in the past if it is now OK for unionists to discriminate against women and homosexuals?

Unionist apparently should be allowed discriminate because they are traditional or whatever and will defend discrimination when they are doing it but are scared sh1****s of being in a united Ireland because they worry they will be a minority

So when UI does happen and they are havin a good cry about republicans setting up "Prod" conversion therapy we can just shrug our shoulders and tell them we are traditionalists

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

how are women discriminated against in Northern Ireland ?

gays were not discriminated in the republic since 1993

not everyone needs to have equal access to the same thing , i am ok with gays marrying ( though i didnt vote in the referendum as it was not important enough to me ) but i strongly oppose gay adoption , i believe a child needs father and mother , to a progressive , that makes me a bigot , i dont care , i dont accept that progressives get to be arbiters of what constitutes fairness etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,718 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

not everyone needs to have equal access to the same thing , i am ok with gays marrying ( though i didnt vote in the referendum as it was not important enough to me ) but i strongly oppose gay adoption , i believe a child needs father and mother , to a progressive , that makes me a bigot , i dont care , i dont accept that progressives get to be arbiters of what constitutes fairness etc.

You can believe the moon is made of cheese if you want, what you cannot do is force me to live as if the moon is made of cheese.

Please try and see the actual issue...who gives a fig what the DUP believe.

BTW: The DUP are seeing to it that women don't have the same rights in NI as they have in the UK and here by delaying the legislation passed by Westminster.

So if a mother dies in child birth the child should be taken from the father to save it from a substandard childhood ?

And backward Ireland discriminating against gays in the past does not make it OK for extra backward NI for doing it now. Its wrong regardless of whoever else did or does do it so forget about the ROI or Poland or the Aztec tribes we are talking about the DUP and what they believe.
    (No offence to the ancient Aztecs they were probably not as backward as 21st century unionists)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭Jizique

I don't think anyone would suggest they will turn into the social democrats or a more progressive party in the short term.
    But if they do go more conservative with someone like Poots it would be a mistake imo, it's an increasingly small pond and other parties are in that area e.g. TUV (they will likely run a few more candidates in next elections).

You won’t find Poots spending his Friday night in Dublin chatting to Ryan Tubridy or attending GAA matches

breezy1985 wrote: »
    So if a mother dies in child birth the child should be taken from the father to save it from a substandard childhood ?

dont be so ridiculously obtuse

I didn't realise that not hating the gays was still considered progressive.

dont be so ridiculously obtuse

I am not being obtuse. A child can be raised successfully with 1 father but not 2 according to you so where is the logic in that.

This father and mother crap is a slap in the face to all the perfectly normal well adjusted single parent children out there

I didn't realise that not hating the gays was still considered progressive.

Only in Maxx and Sammys traditionalist heads. To everyone else its called normal now not progressive

retalivity wrote: »
    And then you have Jim Allister and his loopers even further to the right of the DUP.
    Mad Ted.

This. Say what you like about Arlene, but I would genuinely be fearful of who could potentially replace her and set the peace process back decades. I was no fan of her, but whats coming up the line could be far far worse

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,718 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

This. Say what you like about Arlene, but I would genuinely be fearful of who could potentially replace her and set the peace process back decades. I was no fan of her, but whats coming up the line could be far far worse

The DUP have been trying to wrech the GFA since it was signed and intensified their attempts since 2014 and the calling of the Brexit ref.
    It is one of the biggest failures (the attempt) in Irish politics. It has only blown back on them. I wouldn't worry too much. They look set to destroy and implode themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

So Stormont collapses indefinitely in June,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,743 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Sammy Wilson is a shade shy of 70 years of age.

Looks like he’s about to have a heart attack and has been basically anti restrictions as relates to covid.... so as about as divisive as ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,341 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

So Stormont collapses indefinitely in June,

I doubt it because the only reason it got back into action is that the DUP saw that Boris and the Tories were going to implement laws that were at odds with their fundamentalist beliefs. Tories have no interest in the Petition of Concern.

If they have no power in Westminister, then they need Stormont to have any say in anything. In particular, they need the assembly if they're going to have any chance to have a go at the 4-year consent principle in the NI protocol.

The DUP have been trying to wrech the GFA since it was signed and intensified their attempts since 2014 and the calling of the Brexit ref.
    It is one of the biggest failures (the attempt) in Irish politics. It has only blown back on them. I wouldn't worry too much. They look set to destroy and implode themselves.

They still manage to incite a lot of anarchists and bigots though as the recent riots proved. July 12th is still a relatively big event up there... That sort of stuff wont die overnight if it ever will at all. The wrong person in charge of them could set relations back decades. I dunno, I'm wary enough of what might happen next.

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭batman75

That was a very quick ending for Foster. She did well to survive the heating scandal of a few years back. I can only assume her position was untenable as she doesn't seem to have wanted to face down those challenging her. Not sure what any new leader can do remove custom checkpoints.
    Whoever comes in is in a tricky position. The very core identity of the party is unity with the UK. That seems to be now on a countdown to ending. It would take some shift in core values for them to reposition as a party to represent Unionists in a United Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Better the devil you know or ding song the witch is dead?

What is the abiding thought from the end of Arlene.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Jizique wrote: »
    I don't think anyone would suggest they will turn into the social democrats or a more progressive party in the short term.
    But if they do go more conservative with someone like Poots it would be a mistake imo, it's an increasingly small pond and other parties are in that area e.g. TUV (they will likely run a few more candidates in next elections).

You won’t find Poots spending his Friday night in Dublin chatting to Ryan Tubridy or attending GAA matches

He's already gone way up in my estimation so.

breezy1985 wrote: »
    Only in Maxx and Sammys traditionalist heads. To everyone else its called normal now not progressive

I don't hate gay people at all and it's crass of you to debate like that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Del.Monte wrote: »
    He's already gone way up in my estimation so.

Aren't you a southerner, born and here (Wexford iirc)? What would your issue be with a unionist leader attending a Gaelic match, or appearing on an Irish television chat show?

Aren't we all aiming for inclusiveness, sharing the island equally and all that jazz?

Apologies if I'm mixing you up with someone else, but if not - it would appear an Irish born unionist doesn't want to see northern brethern mix with the rest of us.

• Advertisement

I don't hate gay people at all and it's crass of you to debate like that

Your slipping now Maxx just resorting to calling me crass or obtuse instead to replying to anything I say.

You are wrong to believe that a man and a woman raise better kids than any other mix or number. Plenty of good and bad people came out of all the different connotations.

The DUP are wrong to discriminate against minority groups and that isn't something that is debatable as a "woke" issue it is a human rights issue and people here are right to challenge the DUPs views

Advertisement