Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arlene, Edwin, her replacement and his replacement as leader of the DUP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

breezy1985 wrote: »
    Your slipping now Maxx just resorting to calling me crass or obtuse instead to replying to anything I say.

You are wrong to believe that a man and a woman raise better kids than any other mix or number. Plenty of good and bad people came out of all the different connotations

You said I hate gay people, that's crass debating ,I said no such thing

Of course a single parent can do a fine job but nothing beats having a father and mother, it's a pretty sad reflection of things to have to insist on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,406 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    You said I hate gay people, that's crass debating ,I said no such thing

Of course a single parent can do a fine job but nothing beats having a father and mother, it's a pretty sad reflection of things to have to insist on this.

Where did I say you "hate gay people" stop trying to derail the thread. I am saying a significant number of DUP leadership front runners hate gay people and should be rightly called out on it

breezy1985 wrote: »
    Where did I say you "hate gay people" stop trying to derail the thread. I am saying a significant number of DUP leadership front runners hate gay people and should be rightly called out on it

Don't be coy either , you lumped me in with Sammy Wilson a few pages back

I don't hate gay people and resent the implication

• Registered Users Posts: 16,639 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

For all the shyte she came out with, she was a moderate compared to the rest of the party (too moderate for the rest of the party) and it'll be interesting to see how things go from here.

In hardline Ulster unionism, we're watching a trapped animal flailing about, clawing at itself as it slowly dies...and it chose to go down that path.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭lurleen lumpkin

You say you don't hate them yet you don't think they should be afforded the same rights as straight people.

• Advertisement

osarusan wrote: »
    For all the shyte she came out with, she was a moderate compared to the rest of the party (too moderate for the rest of the party) and it'll be interesting to see how things go from here.

In hardline Ulster unionism, we're watching a trapped animal flailing about, clawing at itself as it slowly dies...and it chose to go down that path.

she was a rubbish politician with zero likability , She herself is probably no loss

You say you don't hate them yet you don't think they should be afforded the same rights as straight people.

that is a loaded statement designed to lead .

i do not hate gay people , believing that a mother and father are the best model for parents is not hatred for gay people

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

What rights would they be? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭lurleen lumpkin

Bambi wrote: »

Adoption

a Canadian judge ruled yesterday that three guardians of a child should be registered as parents .

when everything is draped in the language of " rights " , anything can be demanded .

what is so wrong with believing people had the right idea for a very long time ( i.e a mother and father ) ?

• Advertisement

Adoption

should two gay married men in their seventies be allowed adopt a two year old girl ?

i mean it would be an attack on their rights to deny them surely ?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,406 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Right look you keep trying to drag this off thread so this is the last time I am replying to you unless you have something to say about Foster or the DUP leadership race

Adoption

Nobody has a right to adopt a child. I'm very comfortable with two parent families of a husband and wife being prioritised above others when all other factors are equal. If there was some sort of glut of Irish orphans waiting on homes I might fell differently but its the opposite case.

So yeah, not a human right being denied.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭oisinog

should two gay married men in their seventies be allowed adopt a two year old girl ?

Should a hetro couple in their seventies be allowed to adopt a Child.

At the end of the day we have a need for foster carers and adoption as long as a married couple or a single person can give them a stable home should we care about the sex of the parent.

I know a same sex couple who have adoped a child and are doing a better job that some hetro couples.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

osarusan wrote: »

They can replace her with a more hard-line conservative type of they wish, but I don't see that standing over them in either the long, or short term future, they're merely further marginalising themselves if that's the road they choose imo. The younger moderate generation will most likely veer off to more liberal party's - alliance are mopping up unionist and some nationalist soft votes as is, and then there's the TUV waiting in the wings for hardliners too.

The DUP have reached a very perilous crossroads it would seem.

They're on the cusp of being left behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,081 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

You are being entirely disingenuous with this imo.
    I sincerely doubt it has happened, there is strict criteria to adopt.

I only know one gay couple who have adopted, and they are based in the UK. Believe me those kids have a great life, they had a seriously tough start in life, a brother and sister.

I have no desire to adopt myself but if a gay couple can offer a good home and all checks etc are done thoroughly, I have zero issue.
    Adoption in Ireland is notoriously difficult
    https://www.thejournal.ie/adoption-ireland-usa-4402832-Dec2018/

Anyway...this is way way off topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,156 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

McMurphy wrote: »
    They can replace her with a more hard-line conservative type of they wish, but I don't see that standing over them in either the long, or short term future, they're merely further marginalising themselves if that's the road they choose imo. The younger moderate generation will most likely veer off to more liberal party's - alliance are mopping up unionist and some nationalist soft votes as is, and then there's the TUV waiting in the wings for hardliners too.

The DUP have reached a very perilous crossroads it would seem.

They're on the cusp of being left behind.

It will be evident very soon which way they want to go. Choose Poots and it is a move to the side-lines and I suspect they will try to ferment revolution from there. I point to the very obvious switching off of the street violence, that may have been as much about internal DUP jockeying as anything else.

If a Donaldson or Robinson takes the helm, I think you'll see the gradual standing down of opposition to the Protocol with them probably claiming it was their idea in 5 years or so.

It will be evident very soon which way they want to go. Choose Poots and it is a move to the side-lines and I suspect they will try to ferment revolution from there. I point to the very obvious switching off of the street violence, that may have been as much about internal DUP jockeying as anything else.

If a Donaldson or Robinson takes the helm, I think you'll see the gradual standing down of opposition to the Protocol with them probably claiming it was their idea in 5 years or so.

Can't really see the DUP MLAs going with either given that they've booted Arlene out.

Robinsons worked as a leader because his standing with the hardliners meant he could keep them in line but also be a cute hoor and compromise where necessary. Don't see anyone in the DUP whos capable of riding both those tigers now

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

gmisk wrote: »

Does he need the hassle ? Didn't I read he has health problems recently?

• Advertisement

Can't really see the DUP MLAs going with either given that they've booted Arlene out.

Robinsons worked as a leader because his standing with the hardliners meant he could keep them in line but also be a cute hoor and compromise where necessary. Don't see anyone in the DUP whos capable of riding both those tigers now

It's a sign of how directionless and confused Unionism is that we can't work out if the DUP want to go more hardline or soften the image and try to recover from a strategic mess.

I think the below quote from David Irvine was pretty much on the nose when it came to the DUP.
    "These people are not to be trusted, their interest does not lie in Northern Ireland, their interest is self-interest."

McMurphy wrote: »
    Does he need the hassle ? Didn't I read he has health problems recently?
    All the speculation seems to be around him, but who knows

All the speculation seems to be around him, but who knows

Is Poots a stalking horse for somebody else.
    Has Donaldson or Robinson said anything yet?
    Too early to call it IMO.

I think the below quote from David Irvine was pretty much on the nose when it came to the DUP.
    "These people are not to be trusted, their interest does not lie in Northern Ireland, their interest is self-interest."

I think this could have been part of the issue with Arelene, she may have come across as a female dog but I think she saw the writing on the wall when it comes to constitutional change in Northern Ireland.

She wanted Northern Ireland to work but her party are out to line their own pockets

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭O'Neill

This man could be the next leader (and possibly First Minister).

Good grief

Is Poots a stalking horse for somebody else.
    Has Donaldson or Robinson said anything yet?
    Too early to call it IMO.
    Robinson had a very bland tweet
    https://twitter.com/GRobinsonDUP/status/1387433476954206210?s=19
    (Seemingly he has a more scathing one he deleted)
    Donaldson's one was a lot more glowing on Arlene
    https://twitter.com/J_Donaldson_MP/status/1387458298304204806?s=19

Seemingly the newsletter will have names of who signed the letter on Friday that will be interesting!

Seemingly Sammy Wilson refused to sign it.

Probably didn't read it and think it was for something covid related, or he cant spell his name

(before anyone calls me out on this I have had personal dealings with Sammy and he called me several things I couldnt repeat here)

Wilson seems to be the Mattie McGrath of the DUP. Lot of red-faced rants, but that’s about it. A gombeen man.

• Advertisement

:):)

E0IaGX5WYAML2zD?format=jpg&name=medium

Advertisement