Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arlene, Edwin, her replacement and his replacement as leader of the DUP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,844 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

gmisk wrote: »

There should be laws in place that mean he is legally insane so can't run for office.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,081 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Wilson seems to be the Mattie McGrath of the DUP. Lot of red-faced rants, but that’s about it. A gombeen man.
    That plays well to the core DUP vote.
    Trust me....I am originally from near Ballymena....lol

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

You are being entirely disingenuous with this imo.
    I sincerely doubt it has happened, there is strict criteria to adopt.

I only know one gay couple who have adopted, and they are based in the UK. Believe me those kids have a great life, they had a seriously tough start in life, a brother and sister.

I have no desire to adopt myself but if a gay couple can offer a good home and all checks etc are done thoroughly, I have zero issue.
    Adoption in Ireland is notoriously difficult
    https://www.thejournal.ie/adoption-ireland-usa-4402832-Dec2018/

Anyway...this is way way off topic.

The " rights " fundamentalists shut down debate on what is acceptable, it's whatever anyone wants and that's the end of it according to them

They don't get to be all precious when specific questions are asked

• Registered Users Posts: 69,156 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    The " rights " fundamentalists shut down debate on what is acceptable, it's whatever anyone wants and that's the end of it according to them

Says somebody whose rights are protected.

We achieved rights here, contrary to the moral scaremongers the world didn't fall apart when people were allowed to, for example, bring their marriages to a dignified end and people could move on etc. It didn't devalue or make more precarious my marriage or anyone else's...I could list all the other scaremongering on other issues, but you get the drift.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭oisinog

This is the thing what someone see as aceptable may not be acceptable to a larger demorgaphic of people.

At one point Slavery was acceptable and now its not, times change and people need to move on with the changes. It is also correct that people should discuss what is acceptable and what is not that is how things change.

Alothough this is off topic it does touch in to what is wrong with the DUP they have their own view of what is acceptable in this world and are unwilling to listen to the wider population.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,848 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Wilson is the DUPs go-to man for bluster.

Not sure leadership would be his thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,406 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

awec wrote: »
    Wilson is the DUPs go-to man for bluster.

Not sure leadership would be his thing.

I would say he is happy where he is. Leadership is too precarious for him

Who are these "rights fundamentalists"?
    Is it people on this thread? I don't think I have been precious I have answered your questions and I think others have done the same.

Ok done with this it's off topic so will stop

• Registered Users Posts: 17,806 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Would Poots drift further to the right? I'm not sure. If he actually became leader and FM he might row back a bit.

Donaldson is probably the most moderate, although I'm not really sure where Gavin Robinson sits on the DUP political spectrum.

This is dangerous for the DUP. They could move to the right to win back TUV voters, only to lose more voters to the UUP or Alliance Party. I think the most likely outcome here is a SF First Minister in 2022 (possibly this year if the Executive collapses) and a big increase in support for the Alliance Party. But the TUV might go the way of the Brexit Party in England in 2019.

bilston wrote: »
    Would Poots drift further to the right? I'm not sure. If he actually became leader and FM he might row back a bit.

Donaldson is probably the most moderate, although I'm not really sure where Gavin Robinson sits on the DUP political spectrum.

This is dangerous for the DUP. They could move to the right to win back TUV voters, only to lose more voters to the UUP or Alliance Party. I think the most likely outcome here is a SF First Minister in 2022 (possibly this year if the Executive collapses) and a big increase in support for the Alliance Party. But the TUV might go the way of the Brexit Party in England in 2019.

The TUV are the remnants of the no surrender brigade and the closer things look to a UI the stronger they will get. They will thrive off the could "threat to our way of life" stuff in some areas.

I would say the Alliance are praying for Poots as rowing back ain't his thing and it will definitely send a fair portion of moderates their way

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

"There are people in Northern Ireland with a British identity, others are Irish, others are Northern Irish, others are a mixture of all three and some are new and emerging. We must all learn to be generous to each other, live together and share this wonderful country.

The future of unionism and Northern Ireland will not be found in division, it will only be found in sharing this place we all are privileged to call home."

Those are the fine words of Arlene Foster. When I see all the bile spouted about her on here, I struggle to see what motivates it other than bigotry.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

It's eating itself. This is the endgame for Unionism. The extremist element's are gonna back themselves further and further into a corner.

I can't say that I'm not absolutely delighted.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

blanch152 wrote: »
    "There are people in Northern Ireland with a British identity, others are Irish, others are Northern Irish, others are a mixture of all three and some are new and emerging. We must all learn to be generous to each other, live together and share this wonderful country.

The future of unionism and Northern Ireland will not be found in division, it will only be found in sharing this place we all are privileged to call home."

Those are the fine words of Arlene Foster. When I see all the bile spouted about her on here, I struggle to see what motivates it other than bigotry.

Another one to add to the list.....

What bile?

On this thread?

Have you reported it?

Can you link to it?

The words of a woman who is happy to divide people legally between straight and gay

Jesus. Have you only heard of Arlene Foster today?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭randy hickey

Is there any truth to the rumour that I am starting here, that FF are considering approaching Arlene to run as their candidate in the 2025 Presidential Election?

After all, she ticks all the boxes:

- Has the cúpla focal
    - Is sound on the national question
    - Female
    - Has experience on the international stage
    - Au fait with constitutional law
    - Christian

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Jesus. Have you only heard of Arlene Foster today?

Reading online on various sites, seems there's some very bitter partitionists and unionists trying to canonise Arlene unaware of her previous, there's no doubt she's somewhat more liberal and moderate than others in her party - but yesterday's statement doesn't take away from many of her others.

McMurphy wrote: »
    Reading online on various sites, seems there's some very bitter partitionists and unionists trying to canonise Arlene unaware of her previous, there's no doubt she's somewhat more liberal and moderate than others in her party - but yesterday's statement doesn't take away from many of her others.

The leader who in just the most recent example, stood calmly by and allowed one of her senior ministers to invent terror threats and stoke violence will now be hailed as a moderate, invited to speak at conferences and be applauded by those seeking to politically damage others. They are welcome to each other imo.

Ireland of the hypocrisies.

One well worded part of a speech does not excuse the other things she has said and done (or indeed not done) imo....

I haven't seen much bile tbh, she is a moderate compared to others in the DUP which many people have highlighted.

Poots would be massive step back in time (not that massive though...he only thinks the world is 6000 years old)

One well worded part of a speech does not excuse the other things she has said and done (or indeed not done) imo....

It's platitudinous political speak at it's best. A perfect foil for those who want to ignore realities.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

I haven't seen much bile tbh, she is a moderate compared to others in the DUP which many people have highlighted.

Poots would be massive step back in time (not that massive though...he only thinks the world is 6000 years old)

Agreed that Poots would be massive step back in time. Why all the celebration and gloating about Arlene stepping down then?

Do northern nationalists seek comfort in sectarian division?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Too many rumours about Donaldson's private life over the years, can't see it happen,
    Poots was reared in hardline Free Presbyterians and believes everything he says
    No nothing of Robinson
    Sammy Wilson for pure black comedy alone

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,872 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Agreed that Poots would be massive step back in time. Why all the celebration and gloating about Arlene stepping down then?

Do northern nationalists seek comfort in sectarian division?
    My interpretation of the posts is not that people are rejoicing that Foster is stepping down but rather her resignation is part of the ongoing self-destruction of right-wing unionism within NI.
    This can only be a good thing for the people of NI.

Too many rumours about Donaldson's private life over the years, can't see it happen,
    Poots was reared in hardline Free Presbyterians and believes everything he says
    No nothing of Robinson
    Sammy Wilson for pure black comedy alone
    What are the rumours?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

What are the rumours?

That he's Daniel O Donnell's stunt double

My interpretation of the posts is not that people are rejoicing that Foster is stepping down but rather her resignation is part of the ongoing self-destruction of right-wing unionism within NI.
    This can only be a good thing for the people of NI.

Partitionists fear the destruction of the bulwark of belligerent Unionism and the emergence of a convincible middle ground. They will rally to the DUP's defence, not overtly, but by trying to characterise criticism as being based in 'sectarianism' and taking statements at face value without cognisance of previous statements and behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,800 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

That he's Daniel O Donnell's stunt double

And a better singer.

One well worded part of a speech does not excuse the other things she has said and done (or indeed not done)

Apparently it does.

Seems, all you need to do to satisfy a partitionist is speak some inane platitudes.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,806 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Partitionists fear the destruction of the bulwark of belligerent Unionism and the emergence of a convincible middle ground. They will rally to the DUP's defence, not overtly, but trying to characterise criticism as being based in 'sectarianism' and such.

Works both ways though. A more moderate Unionism will lead to a more stable NI which I think reduces the desire for a United Ireland amongst the "convincible Middle ground" on the other side of the fence.

• Advertisement

Works both ways though. A more moderate Unionism will lead to a more stable NI which I think reduces the desire for a United Ireland amongst the "convincible Middle ground" on the other side of the fence.

Never said any different. Holds no fear for me.

Advertisement