Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arlene, Edwin, her replacement and his replacement as leader of the DUP

Options

Comments

• Administrators Posts: 53,848 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

They breed them, Free Presbyterians have their own schools, Sammy was a teacher(gulp) in one of them

Not really. Most Free Ps (as they are colloquially known up north) go to normal state schools.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭circadian

awec wrote: »
    Not really. Most Free Ps (as they are colloquially known up north) go to normal state schools.

Funnily enough, the state schools in the north are generally non denominational yet most Catholics view them as Protestant schools since most Catholics end up at a Catholic school.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,788 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

That is rubbish, ETs are the same as any other type of school in relation to running costs and local fundraising. We need to fund ALL schools properly. And if "churches don't want the schools" why does the RCC talk a great game about divestment in theory but obstruct all attempts at divestment in practice?

As the Archbishop has said on several occasions, the church does not want to change the school over the heads of the parents of the children there, and they do not generally want a change.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,074 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

The vast majority of parents have never been asked and the parents of future pupils never get any say.

Very easy to whip up enough FUD to convince 51% of parents in schools in an area to resist change. In Malahide school principals and the church outright lied to parents and successfully prevented even one of the 8 schools in the area divesting.

We have no right whatsoever to point fingers at NI for being sectarian, religious discrimination is an everyday unavoidable fact of life here.

© 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd

• Registered Users Posts: 26,406 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

As the Archbishop has said on several occasions, the church does not want to change the school over the heads of the parents of the children there, and they do not generally want a change.

I think the vast majority of people in the ROI don't care either way and send their kid to wherever is nice or convenient without thinking too much about the school board.

Very different in the UK where sending your child to a faith school really is a conscious choice and is often making a clear statement about your beliefs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69,156 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Yilkes, imagine getting support like this.

https://twitter.com/brendanhughes64/status/1388095723581984769

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

The misogyny defenders will be along to condemn this any minute now Mr Brady, just you wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,406 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

McMurphy wrote: »
    The misogyny defenders will be along to condemn this any minute now Mr Brady, just you wait.

It's funny that some of the anti "woke" on here that were defending Foster are probably unaware or ignoring that she tried to blame misogyny and not her own failings
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/arlene-foster-says-calls-to-stand-down-motivated-by-misogyny-1.2925274%3fmode=amp

• Registered Users Posts: 16,581 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Did a quick google of this Carson fella, he has form when it comes to running his mouth before engaging his brain.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭An Claidheamh

Del.Monte wrote: »
    I'd say the constant shouting for a border poll will see the DUP gaining support the next time out but then I would say that wouldn't I.

Hmmmmm, a bit like Arlene and the DUPers, you seem to be afraid of the ‘democratic’ part of the title

Actually more likely, nationalist party majority in Stormont and TUV will gain support and fracture unionism

Maybe we should just change the Belfast Agreement as it is upsetting the bigots ....

• Advertisement

Wonder will Neale Richmond or Mrs Hugo MacNeill be retweeting their DUP friend

That said, Poots would be funny, but wee Sammy would be hilarious

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

That is rubbish, ETs are the same as any other type of school in relation to running costs and local fundraising. We need to fund ALL schools properly. And if "churches don't want the schools" why does the RCC talk a great game about divestment in theory but obstruct all attempts at divestment in practice?

ET schools have an image problem, why do you think Gaelscoils have to turn pupils away yet ETs can't get them

• Registered Users Posts: 69,156 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭shtpEdthePlum

Does RTE have some sort of gag order around saying she was booted because she abstained from the gay conversion therapy vote?

They seem to be touting that she's gone over Brexit dissatisfaction, in which case Coveney, Mehole, Vrad and Boris should all be sacked too.

(please, please, please, if there is a god, let this happen).

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Does RTE have some sort of gag order around saying she was booted because she abstained from the gay conversion therapy vote?

They seem to be touting that she's gone over Brexit dissatisfaction, in which case Coveney, Mehole, Vrad and Boris should all be sacked too.

(please, please, please, if there is a god, let this happen).

RTE have serious egg on their face after censuring Brolly because he stated the DUPers were homophobic on live tv, they're afraid of their shyte to mention the real reason Arlene was ditched.

ET schools have an image problem, why do you think Gaelscoils have to turn pupils away yet ETs can't get them

They were taken over by smug nasty pseudo-intellectual militant anti-Faith school types who think they are a “secular” atheist academy - they were in fact multi-demoninational originally

Also, they conflate segregation in the North with the Republic and seem to be upset when others choose bog standard schools and gaeilscoileanna over there’s ( in my opinion the latter seem to have a better ‘live and let live’ ethos)

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭UDAWINNER

Makes me laugh when I see Arlene being referred as a moderate, she's a homophobic, anti Irish bigot. The quicker her Ilk are removed from politics, the better.

RTE have serious egg on their face after censuring Brolly because he stated the DUPers were homophobic on live tv, they're afraid of their shyte to mention the real reason Arlene was ditched.

Worse thing, they claimed there was no one from the DUP to refute those charges - yet they had one on 5 minutes previously and they never allowed the US Republican Party that same courtesy over the last 4 years (or any charges against SF)

RTÉ following the FFG line - never upset the DUP

• Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

UDAWINNER wrote: »
    Makes me laugh when I see Arlene being referred as a moderate, she's a homophobic, anti Irish bigot. The quicker her Ilk are removed from politics, the better.

Moderate is a relative term, compared to some in the DUP she is moderate. Compared to society in general not so much.

The gay conversion therapy vote abstention was a good example. In case you missed it most of the DUP weren't on the pro gay rights side of that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

The vast majority of parents have never been asked and the parents of future pupils never get any say.

There is absolutely very little demand by parents for schools to change their ethos. The only vocal noises are coming from "militant" atheists. The reality is a huge number of parents are lapsed catholics but still like the first communion day out. They don't see the teaching of religion as an actual problem and consider that as it has had effect on them then they're no more bothered about the effect on their kids than making them believe in Santa for the first ten years.

As an example AFAIR, the CC asked the parents in two north Dublin schools if they wanted to change the patronage and the parents refused.

There is no comparison of catholic run schools here to the schools that kids of DUP supporters go to as they're very fundamentalist unlike the liberal version of catholicism we have arrived at here.

• Advertisement

That's not true though. Most ETs are oversubscribed and in some areas you have to put your child's name down at birth to have any chance of getting in.

Does it bother you that other people are choosing to reject the catholic church? More than half of marriages in Ireland are now non-catholic, do you really think these future parents want catholic schooling for their kids?

There is absolutely very little demand by parents for schools to change their ethos. The only vocal noises are coming from "militant" atheists. The reality is a huge number of parents are lapsed catholics but still like the first communion day out. They don't see the teaching of religion as an actual problem and consider that as it has had effect on them then they're no more bothered about the effect on their kids than making them believe in Santa for the first ten years.

Amazing how triggered the ET types get by little girls in Communion dresses and how concerner they are about other families' ceremonies, also a lot of the middle class Irish Times types who are pro ET will always send little Tarquin to a Catholic or CoI private school (then claim they had no choice)

I'm all for choice in schooling, but forcing Catholic schools (only) to change their ethos after possibly a 100 years because they are more popular than another option is ridiculous.

Reminds me of when Dana Rosemary Scallon asked Mary McAleese to drop out of the Presidential race as she was too popular and would cause Dana to lose

That's not true though. Most ETs are oversubscribed and in some areas you have to put your child's name down at birth to have any chance of getting in.

do you really think these future parents want catholic schooling for their kids?

Then set up more ET schools and let these parents NOT send them to Catholic schools

If it was the other way round, would we be having this conversation?

They were taken over by smug nasty pseudo-intellectual militant anti-Faith school types who think they are a “secular” atheist academy - they were in fact multi-demoninational originally

Also, they conflate segregation in the North with the Republic and seem to be upset when others choose bog standard schools and gaeilscoileanna over there’s ( in my opinion the latter seem to have a better ‘live and let live’ ethos)

Wow, such vitriol and hatred against people you don't even know - why?

Our education system is so fcuked up that all schools are required to have a "denomination", ETs are multi-denominational and admit and treat all pupils equally regardless of faith or absence thereof. There are a handful of "non-denominational" schools but they are not allowed receive any state funding!

Many people choose the school nearest them or have no real choice, I was forced to send my kids to a religious primary school as there is no other option here. They were opted out of religon, one of the teachers bullied my daughter because of this.

There is nothing wrong with being "anti Faith" :rolleyes: . The history of our own island amply demonstrates how religion is a curse upon humanity.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Does it bother you that other people are choosing to reject the catholic church? More than half of marriages in Ireland are now non-catholic, do you really think these future parents want catholic schooling for their kids?

Most people don't give a monkeys, the ETs are seen as the domain of crusties and asylum seekers, theres little or no religion in ordinary schools, communion and confirmation years being the jonly ones and even that's nothing much, Even when I went to school which was a long time ago we never saw a priest, this religious fundamentalist school system you speak of seems to be some figment of your imagination, I have no faith, I believe death is the end but I believe others have the right to believe what they want, anti-theist zealots are just as abhorrent as the DUP Christian right

She is very much a "liberal" as far as the DUP are concerned!

Also there is a large segment of their grassroots who will never get over the fact that she's CoI not Presbyterian.

You think thats bad?

You ain’t seen nothing yet!

excited.gif?w=663

Most people don't give a monkeys, the ETs are seen as the domain of crusties and asylum seekers, theres little or no religion in ordinary schools, communion and confirmation years being the jonly ones and even that's nothing much, Even when I went to school which was a long time ago we never saw a priest, this religious fundamentalist school system you speak of seems to be some figment of your imagination, I have no faith, I believe death is the end but I believe others have the right to believe what they want, anti-theist zealots are just as abhorrent as the DUP Christian right

Domain of the asylum seeker...

That give a good view into your thought process, right there.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Domain of the asylum seeker...

That give a good view into your thought process, right there.

Statement of fact if you ask me but we can't say things like that any more. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

Are the ET schools in areas with not enough school places or is the Catholic school down the road under subscribed.

I thought there was a problem not being able to get into Catholic schools too. Main problem was not enough school places in general in those areas.

Advertisement