Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arlene, Edwin, her replacement and his replacement as leader of the DUP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Amazing how triggered the ET types get by

The gas thing about all the ET school I know is that the kids are nearly always white and middle class, while the national schools are like the UN

Schools for kids who wear Benneton as oppsed to kids who appear in Benneton ads :D

• Registered Users Posts: 35,074 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Bambi wrote: »
    The gas thing about all the ET school I know is that the kids are nearly always white and middle class, while the national schools are like the UN

Schools for kids who wear Benneton as oppsed to kids who appear in Benneton ads :D

Racist much?

ET schools are national schools.

Anyway I am deriving great satisfaction from the sheer stupidity of the posts defending the sectarian status quo, is that the best you can do lads? The catholic church is f**ked and it'll be a great day when it's finally forced to release its grip upon the schools we, not it, pay for.

© 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Racist much?

ET schools are national schools.

Anyway I am deriving great satisfaction from the sheer stupidity of the posts defending the sectarian status quo, is that the best you can do lads? The catholic church is f**ked and it'll be a great day when it's finally forced to release its grip upon the schools we, not it, pay for.

I know of a protestant secondary school in the Republic which doesn't teach evolution and don't do SPHE( think that's what it's called),

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭lurleen lumpkin

• Registered Users Posts: 69,156 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Arlene banished him, but he's got his feet back under the table now with Poots. They will drive voters away in droves unless they can talk up the 'threat to the Union' stuff.

Unionism is in a right pickle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,081 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

UDAWINNER wrote: »
    Makes me laugh when I see Arlene being referred as a moderate, she's a homophobic, anti Irish bigot. The quicker her Ilk are removed from politics, the better.
    She is a moderate for someone in the DUP....is the point.
    Especially compared to the person who looks likely to be succeeding her...

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Bluebell woods

Old dogs and children and watermelon wine

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Also there is a large segment of their grassroots who will never get over the fact that she's CoI not Presbyterian.

I certainly believe that the membership is trying to go back to the old Paisleyite days and this a a sufficient contributing factor.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

I certainly believe that the membership is trying to go back to the old Paisleyite days and this a a sufficient contributing factor.

Just when they need to be trying to widen the appeal of Unionism they look set to be reverting to their old Paisleyite fundamentalism with an emphasis on the mental.

It'll be interesting to see if Unionists have the sense to vote for Alliance as it's their best hope of taking the wind out of the sails of unification advocates.

Del.Monte wrote: »
    Statement of fact if you ask me but we can't say things like that any more. :rolleyes:

Why can't you say things like that anymore?
    Is there something wrong with the phrases?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,621 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

Just when they need to be trying to widen the appeal of Unionism they look set to be reverting to their old Paisleyite fundamentalism with an emphasis on the mental.

It'll be interesting to see if Unionists have the sense to vote for Alliance as it's their best hope of taking the wind out of the sails of unification advocates.

The 'SF First Minister' scare stories will start and I predict the majority of the votes that look like they're drifting to other parties will panic and revert back to DUP when in the actual voting booth.

Fionn1952 wrote: »
    The 'SF First Minister' scare stories will start and I predict the majority of the votes that look like they're drifting to other parties will panic and revert back to DUP when in the actual voting booth.

Will certainly be interesting to see if that happens. I'm wondering though have a lot of Unionists had enough.

Borders, borders everywhere! :)
    Uniting the party after a divisive election battle will be a big task for the new leader.

We could easily end up with a border down the middle of the DUP.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-56961548

• Registered Users Posts: 41,072 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

The grassroots definitely don't want a a moderate.

The end for Arlene was on the cards once she went to the Ulster final and got a
    warm welcome.

Neither choice is a moderate
    Donaldson used to assist Enoch Powell
    Poots is a hardline free presbyterian

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

oisinog wrote: »
    Sir Jeffrey won't take the leadership firstly he is an MP and not an MLA, you need an MLA to lead the party and hold the first minister role.

If he was co-oped into the assembley they would have to fire an MLA and this would create a bi-election in Lagan Valley and with the shifts in demographics there is the potential to loose the seat if voting shifted to UUP and alliance who had an increase in 9k in votes in the last election

Leader and First Minister dont have to be tye same person

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

parking his wacky" young - four thousand year old earth " belief for a minute

has Poots any kind of intellectual rigour about him ?

i dont know much about him , agricultural minister is not exactly a top portfolio which is the highest he has gotten so far

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Annasopra wrote: »
    Leader and First Minister dont have to be tye same person

They could easily get an MLA to resign and co-opt Donaldson in their place.

Faugheen wrote: »
    They could easily get an MLA to resign and co-opt Donaldson in their place.

I understand Donaldson and Poots both want to be leader but not First Minister

Terry Pratchet

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    parking his wacky" young - four thousand year old earth " belief for a minute

has Poots any kind of intellectual rigour about him ?

i dont know much about him , agricultural minister is not exactly a top portfolio which is the highest he has gotten so far
    No.
    He struggles in interviews debates etc whenever I have seen him questioned.

An interesting choice would be Gavin Robinson...but seemingly the fact his wife campaigned for getting rid of conversion therapy, and that has damaged his chances (as bizarre as it sounds).

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,552 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

The OP has contacted me to suggest a change in thread title, which is now done

• Registered Users Posts: 13,894 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

I wonder has he ever used the term "Ulster" to refer to NI.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

gmisk wrote: »
    No.
    He struggles in interviews debates etc whenever I have seen him questioned.

An interesting choice would be Gavin Robinson...but seemingly the fact his wife campaigned for getting rid of conversion therapy, and that has damaged his chances (as bizarre as it sounds).

are the base of the party really that energised by the " gay conversion therapy ban " vote ?

sounds like a juicy angle the media might like to exaggerate

the base were unhappy about Arlene for quite a while

It will be interesting to see if Poots holds his support now Donaldson is in the race. I doubt Donaldson entered the fray without sensing a chance to win it. He is too wily for that.

It will be interesting to see if Poots holds his support now Donaldson is in the race. I doubt Donaldson entered the fray without sensing a chance to win it. He is too wily for that.

Could be just to make it look democratic rather than a coronation

are the base of the party really that energised by the " gay conversion therapy ban " vote ?

I have no idea about the base.
    But banning conversion therapy was clearly an issue...20+ all unionists voted against at and a large number abstained including Arlene

• Registered Users Posts: 26,406 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Probably unhappy because she isn't homophobic enough

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,872 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Could be just to make it look democratic rather than a coronation
    The DUP is proud to take an anti-democratic stance when it comes to things like the GFA so I doubt that they are concerned whether their new leader is chosen by democratic means or not

I saw a chart run down of some of the runners and riders for head of the DUP
    It's attached there if anyone wants a gander :)

• Advertisement

The DUP is proud to take an anti-democratic stance when it comes to things like the GFA so I doubt that they are concerned whether their new leader is chosen by democratic means or not

I know of a few cases where a council seat became vacant and a show vote was done for the co-opted candidate, 2 different parties, journeyman puts name down for decoration

Advertisement