Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arlene, Edwin, her replacement and his replacement as leader of the DUP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,125 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I saw a chart run down of some of the runners and riders for head of the DUP
    It's attached there if anyone wants a gander :)

Lol.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,581 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Donaldson would be probably easier to deal with as leader than Poots who seems to be a real old school prod.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Donaldson would be probably easier to deal with as leader than Poots who seems to be a real old school prod.

Donaldsons friendship with FG will be all the ammunition Poots needs

• Registered Users Posts: 69,156 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Could be just to make it look democratic rather than a coronation

Nah, Donaldson is no John O'Dowd.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,621 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

blanch152 wrote: »
    Nah, Donaldson is no John O'Dowd.

One has to wonder is there a single topic you can't try and wedge a reference to the Shinners into?

It's very obsessive, Blanch. Did a Shinner take your lunch money?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭votecounts

Bookies can't split them
    Poots 5/6
    Donaldson 10/11
    Paddypower
    Poots was big favourite yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Fionn1952 wrote:
    One has to wonder is there a single topic you can't try and wedge a reference to the Shinners into?

It's certainly interesting that there's a thread about the DUP leadership contest, yet that's something we'd never see with SF.

Maybe in 30 years time when Mary Lou's term is also up.

Please, please let it be Poots. I do so wish to return to a bible literal, blood and thunder Free P unionist leader. It's true what they say, 'you don't miss something until its gone'.

JD is just a male version of Arlene. UUP defector, and a relative moderate without true hatred and bigotry. Well, not enough anyway. Forward to the 19th century!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

It's certainly interesting that there's a thread about the DUP leadership contest, yet that's something we'd never see with SF.

Maybe in 30 years time when Mary Lou's term is also up.

This is the only leadership contest the DUP have held since they were founded almost 50 years ago, the Shinners have a way to go before they match that.

• Advertisement

Bambi wrote: »
    This is the only leadership contest the DUP have held since they were founded almost 50 years ago, the Shinners have a way to go before they match that.

Huh? Provisional Sinn Fein were founded before the DUP, and as I understand it, they have yet to have a leadership contest. Pretty much unmatched except by the Worker's Party of Korea?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

breezy1985 wrote: »
    Probably unhappy because she isn't homophobic enough

Doubt it's that simple

Poots is a paisleyite type and not the more reasonable paisley of the years before the big man kicked the bucket

Donaldson is a good media performer

• Registered Users Posts: 26,406 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    Doubt it's that simple

I doubt so too but then everyone outside of you and maybe blanch saw it for the joke it was.

But then i suppose its too much to ask of a DUP disciple to have a sense of humour

Poots is a paisleyite type and not the more reasonable paisley of the years before the big man kicked the bucket

Donaldson is a good media performer

I suspect Donaldson would just be a front like Arlene was. Arlene was clearly not in control.

Would be good to see someone like Poots out front and centre.

I suspect Donaldson would just be a front like Arlene was. Arlene was clearly not in control.

Would be good to see someone like Poots out front and centre.

I have to agree here.

If we had Poots vs Ted Howell in a leadership debate, the masks would be off, the rocks would be lifted, and the lowlifes on both sides would be exposed.

I have to agree here.

If we had Poots vs Ted Howell in a leadership debate, the masks would be off, the rocks would be lifted, and the lowlifes on both sides would be exposed.

Interesting to hear you think Poots is a 'lowlife'.
    We are familiar with your view of others. Can you expand on why you think that of Poots?

Interesting to hear you think Poots is a 'lowlife'.
    We are familiar with your view of others. Can you expand on why you think that of Poots?

Did I say Poots was a lowlife? I said lowlifes would be exposed.

I certainly think that anyone who rejects the theory of evolution to be an idiot, neither do I tolerate homophobic and sexist views.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,572 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

JD is just a male version of Arlene. UUP defector, and a relative moderate without true hatred and bigotry. Well, not enough anyway. Forward to the 19th century!

Well yeah, what would be the point of defenestrating Arlene if you're just going to replace her with a male doppelganger?

Unless you want the new leader to somehow both revert to basics and reach out to the centre ground. Then you might end up splitting the difference with a compromise, continuity candidate...

• Advertisement

Huh? Provisional Sinn Fein were founded before the DUP, and as I understand it, they have yet to have a leadership contest. Pretty much unmatched except by the Worker's Party of Korea?

Dobby has been head honcho in FG since Garret got too befuddled to lead, puts forward a new shiny puppet every few years but all decisions are made by the fatman with the Dulux dog toupee

I doubt so too but then everyone outside of you and maybe blanch saw it for the joke it was.

But then i suppose its too much to ask of a DUP disciple to have a sense of humour

Have you ever heard of a " DUP disciple " who was an atheist?

Maybe you're "joke " just wasn't all that funny ? , certainly wasn't original

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Have you ever heard of a " DUP disciple " who was an atheist?

Maybe you're "joke " just wasn't all that funny ? , certainly wasn't original

The thing about it is, I don't imagine many of the hardcore stereotypical loyalists, you know the type, shaved head, goatee and/or moustache, tattoos and sporting Rangers or Linfield tops, shouting about their culture and flegs would be regular attendees at church of a Sunday.

Their supporters tend a bit of a contradiction to the party when you think of it.

McMurphy wrote: »
    The thing about it is, I don't imagine many of the hardcore stereotypical loyalists, you know the type, shaved head, goatee and/or moustache, tattoos and sporting Rangers or Linfield tops, shouting about their culture and flegs would be regular attendees at church of a Sunday.

Their supporters tend a bit of a contradiction to the party when you think of it.

I don't doubt it

Yes. Well 6024 years old, this guy is precise if nothing else.

What, did he establishb the 6000 years back in the 1990s and it's been ticking on since then?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,406 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

What, did he establishb the 6000 years back in the 1990s and it's been ticking on since then?

In fairness I quite like that level of detail. It's just a tiny bit smarter than the people who have been saying 6000 for over 50 years

• Registered Users Posts: 8,124 ✭✭✭Odhinn

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Ussher

If Mr Poots is a member of good standing in the free presbyterian church he's also strictly teetotal and believes dancing is sinful (line dancing included). Bit like the Taleban, minus the tan and beard.

In fairness I quite like that level of detail. It's just a tiny bit smarter than the people who have been saying 6000 for over 50 years

With Boris on about removing social distancing it should ease Poots fears of dropping of the edge of the flat Earth

Odhinn wrote: »
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Ussher

If Mr Poots is a member of good standing in the free presbyterian church he's also strictly teetotal and believes dancing is sinful (line dancing included).

Maybe he's like that old-time preacher who was opposed to fornication because it might lead to dancing:p

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,872 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Presumably as a way to win support, Poots going to mount a legal challenge to the NIP apparently...
    He said a top QC has been appointed and is "currently scrutinising every aspect of that protocol".

"On completion of that piece of work, it is my intention to lodge judicial proceedings against the protocol," he said.
    https://news.sky.com/story/amp/northern-ireland-agriculture-minister-threatens-legal-action-over-post-brexit-trading-12296883

Advertisement