Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arlene, Edwin, her replacement and his replacement as leader of the DUP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭golfball37

Jizique wrote: »
    That’s to avoid being pictured with O’Neill, the constant pictures of Foster with the deputy first minister are unhappy reminders of reality for the UDA/UVF armed wing of the party

I reckon it’s more that he doesn’t want to be remembered as the last unionist FM as the next one invariably will be

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

It'll be interesting to see how much Arlene Frosty thaws out and becomes more conciliatory as some former leaders of yinyinism do.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,160 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

It'll be interesting to see how much Arlene Frosty thaws out and becomes more conciliatory as some former leaders of yinyinism do.

No more that Bertie, no doubt she will be the oracle of all the right ways to do things.

So many former politicians on that circuit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Jizique

golfball37 wrote: »
    I reckon it’s more that he doesn’t want to be remembered as the last unionist FM as the next one invariably will be

That implies that he (and his supporters) view the next FM as the last one but I really don’t think they do

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Triangle

Hopefully, the flow keeps moving in the way of the peaceful parties and gains keep on going for the alliance, greens, and Co.

His election might help a more balanced platform if he's too old school. I. E. If he's very pro Unionisn, he might Drive the people the want peace into alliance voting.

I'm hoping that a peaceful transparent transition is happening instead of handing power to someone that leads more paramilitary forces being used.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,679 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Paisley painfully weak on newsnight just now

Awful

• Registered Users Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Paisley painfully weak on newsnight just now

Awful

Oh my. That was not a good way to start.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,160 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Oh my. That was not a good way to start.

What transpired kind sir?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭wandererz

I'm just glad i don't have to see the face on tv all the time.
    Retirement suits.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

After a short biography of Poots, Paisley Jr lashed into the Newsnight host over their presentation of his new leader's religious views.

https://twitter.com/JonTonge/status/1393325734987509763?s=20

He lost it at Faisal Islam for posing the idea that Poots is a religious loony toon.

Faisal's líne of questioning is poor for everyone TBF.

Brought up Bobby Storey's funeral again and tried to link it to the recent trouble.

Now talking to Thomas Byrne about why should plans from Sheffield, in the same nation state, be checked coming into the North.

The language is very irritating. He wasn't like this on Sky.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Penfailed wrote: »
    The thing about it is, Alliance are labelled as republicans by some loyalists and labelled as unionist by some republicans...

But being neutral on the union is soft unionism in itself.

It means you're happy with the status quo, which is keeping Northern Ireland as part of the union.

Jesus, Norn Iron is still such a hugely troubled place. It's depressing tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,601 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Jesus, Norn Iron is still such a hugely troubled place. It's depressing tbh.

It's a great place. Really...if you ignore all the political shíte!

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭Pandiculation

It's looking like the more extreme right and religious policies the DUP present to the world, the more Northern Ireland will become an international laughing stock.

It seems well on its way to join the US deep south.

It's looking like the more extreme right and religious policies the DUP present to the world, the more Northern Ireland will become an international laughing stock.

It seems well on its way to join the US deep south.

It'll be Unionism and their backers that will be the laughing stock.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 48 Lougho

Dup will be one damaged party come this time next year. Any form of progression that Arlene was steering towards will be gone with poots along with any notion of strong leadership for unionism.

A successful border poll within 10 years is a possibility I feel with Edwin at the wheel.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

The DUP is walking a solid line towards oblivion. Going harder down the fundamentalist religious route when they should be instead trying to convince NI voters that staying in the UK might be better.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭agoodpunt

I heard Poots said "Gays should not be allowed to give blood" DUP one dinosar to an even worse one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,621 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

agoodpunt wrote: »
    I heard Poots said "Gays should not be allowed to give blood" DUP one dinosar to an even worse one

That would be gay people and anyone who has sex with someone from Africa.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Fascinated by his creationism beliefs :cool:

How can intelligent people believe in creationism (in this day & age)? Of course Poots is not alone, and there is a worldwide network of Creationists who believe that the world is only 6000 year old, but how do they dispelle fossil records which show the earth to be at least 4.5 billion years old, I don't get it.

On the other side of course I presume Michelle O'Neill is a Roman Catholic, in which case she must believe that not only is the Pope infallible, but that he really is God on Earth, or God's representative on Earth.

Sorry, but I don't get the Creationist thing, which I would put in the same bracket as believers in a flat Earth (see flat earth society).

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Fuascailteoir

How can intelligent people believe in creationism (in this day & age)? Of course Poots is not alone, and there is a worldwide network of Creationists who believe that the world is only 6000 year old, but how do they dispelle fossil records which show the earth to be at least 4.5 billion years old, I don't get it.

On the other side of course I presume Michelle O'Neill is a Roman Catholic, in which case she must believe that not only is the Pope infallible, but that he really is God on Earth, or God's representative on Earth.

Sorry, but I don't get the Creationist thing, which I would put in the same bracket as believers in a flat Earth (see flat earth society).

Well you would have to ask Michelle O'Neill that rather than assume her beliefs for her

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Well you would have to ask Michelle O'Neill that rather than assume her beliefs for her

Yes that's true.

Are you seriously trying to denigrate Michelle O'Neill here because you wanted to have a pop at Poots' belief in creationism?

Did you pick that "balance" schtick up from the BBC?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,998 ✭✭✭✭briany

The Pope is considered infallible on matters of Catholic doctrine. It's not like he has to be allowed to win at chess because no move he makes can be wrong.

I don't know what O'Neill's beliefs are or how strongly she holds them, but even if she's the most devoutly Catholic woman in Northern Ireland, she hasn't let that make Sinn Fein as socially regressive as the DUP.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,412 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

I don't know what religion O'Neill is but I have never seen any instance where it has had a direct impact on her policy so it's pretty out of order to compare her a hardline DUP creationist

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

briany wrote: »
    The Pope is considered infallible on matters of Catholic doctrine. It's not like he has to be allowed to win at chess because no move he makes can be wrong.

I don't know what O'Neill's beliefs are or how strongly she holds them, but even if she's the most devoutly Catholic woman in Northern Ireland, she hasn't let that make Sinn Fein as socially regressive as the DUP.

I've noticed quite a few posts here that seem to back the DUP because they are anti-Catholic ,

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 48 Lougho

Michelle had a child out of marriage at 16 years of age, I'd not be taken on her having strong religious beliefs. Her religion was Tyrone and West Tyrone Brigade I'd imagine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭dinorebel

It'll be Unionism and their backers that will be the laughing stock.

Sorry quoted wrong post should of been.

'It's looking like the more extreme right and religious policies the DUP present to the world, the more Northern Ireland will become an international laughing stock.

It seems well on its way to join the US deep south.'

No coincidence that the religious background is so similar.

Advertisement