Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arlene, Edwin, her replacement and his replacement as leader of the DUP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 5,990 ✭✭✭hometruths

Excitement brewing...

https://twitter.com/brendanhughes64/status/1398021959187898368

Are we going to get a shock result?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

schmittel wrote: »
    Excitement brewing...

https://twitter.com/brendanhughes64/status/1398021959187898368

Are we going to get a shock result?

Was the vote 2 weeks ago not a secret ballot? Bizzare.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,159 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

By all means criticism of somebody's politics is fine, but some of the things said about female politicians on here and elsewhere is a disgrace. Good to see this guy pay a price for it.

That's such a shame

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

https://twitter.com/LauraHoganTV/status/1398028960626323458?s=20

This was just before Poots addressed the meeting. Some prominent names there.

Between the infighting in the DUP and the what appears to be a broad welcome of Doug Beattie as the UUP leader, the latter could possibly have a strong chance to actually be of some significance.

Senior Fermanagh DUPer Paul Bell has resigned and then there is this. New party imminent? https://twitter.com/SJAMcBride/status/1398041589541396482

One of the Fermanagh massive has resigned anyway:

https://twitter.com/LauraHoganTV/status/1398034693136736274?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Senior Fermanagh DUPer Paul Bell has resigned and then there is this. New party imminent? https://twitter.com/SJAMcBride/status/1398041589541396482

Flegory walked too?

I wonder are they going to jump ship and take over the UUP?

Bambi wrote: »
    Flegory walked too?

I wonder are they going to jump ship and take over the UUP?

If they can't handle Arlene in charge they're certainly not gonna handle the UUP in the hands of Irishman, Beattie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Jizique

If they can't handle Arlene in charge they're certainly not gonna handle the UUP in the hands of Irishman, Beattie.

Gardai must have requested another news blackout; nothing on radio at 1am except Poots taking over from Arlene.
    Back to Twitter

Leo would starve Ulster of cancer drugs and food whilst MM is a grand lad
    Wait untill poots hears MM attends papist mass regularally and has been vaccinated unlike Leo
    Poots is some boy :D

Delighted for the next FM,Michelle O'Neill

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭lurleen lumpkin

The DUPLeader handle has been snapped up quick. Beautiful.

https://twitter.com/DUPLeader/status/1398032848016269315?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Rodney Edwards @rodneyedwards

During last night’s DUP meeting in Belfast, Jeffrey Donaldson claimed the UDA had “threatened” some of his team while he was campaigning to become party leader, multiple sources tell me.

Leo would starve Ulster of cancer drugs and food whilst MM is a grand lad
    Wait untill poots hears MM attends papist mass regularally and has been vaccinated unlike Leo
    Poots is some boy :D

Delighted for the next FM,Michelle O'Neill

FF/FG will respond strongly by criticising SF and reaching out to Pootsie. That ought to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,211 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

FF/FG will respond strongly by criticising SF and reaching out to Pootsie. That ought to do it.

What would you suggest FF/FG do Francie?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

What would you suggest FF/FG do Francie?

Strongly criticisie the DUP for their behaviour...in relation to cutting links with Dublin and all the other stuff they inflict on those who do not have the same cultural or religious beliefs they have but do have rights that are waiting to be enshrined in local legislation.

There is no onus on them as political parties to do this, they can invite who they like to their conferences but there is an onus on the government as co-signees of the GFA to call this out and mechanisms to do it.

Not hard to see what Poots will do here, he will, once again stoke divisions and blame all and sundry for his own selfish electoral purposes and Dublin will once again stand idly by.

But SF...something something.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Kewreeuss

I am afraid I don’t understand the headline “Irish govt will starve NI of Medicine and Food”.
    He must be trying to stir up his own people, but why would Ireland have anything to do with NI food and medicine? Surely the UK is responsible for keeping itself supplied? What am I missing?

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭topdecko

Coveney and Varadkar repeatedly raised the spectre of border on the island and put northern ireland issue front and centre for the Brexit negotiations. The side effect of the solution to avoiding a hard border is disruption of the internal market in UK with regards to northern Ireland. Unionists can hardly blame BoJo and the ERG and so are blaming the Irish architects of the situation. This will end badly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Kewreeuss

Seems a bit unhinged. He is fooling himself and his people.
    I get your point.

I dont think his views will have any impact on their views of SF
    Rain falling out of the sky will still be wet

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Basically Varadkar & Coveney stoked up people's fears so much about a HARD land border being erected (literally) between NI & here, that all the pressure was then concentrated on creating a new border down the Irish sea!

I get where Poots is coming from, I understand what he's saying, there was such a massive emphasis on keeping the GFA and respecting the GFA (when there was no threat to the GFA), and making sure that there were zero border checks, (not even remote checks) and that all of EU-UK checks were to be done East-West, and West-East, which was obviously going to rattle Unionism and the internal UK market.

Remember all the talk about "The all island economy " how the all island economy must be protected at all costs, the all island economy was the most important thing of all....Brussels got this message LOUD & CLEAR from Coveney, but what of the much bigger internal UK economy?

Just the odd mention that the NI-GB market is far far bigger than "the all island exonomy", but just like the land border, Varadkar & Coveney shouted much much louder than Arlene, and the Unionist voice was sidelined by Boris, so Poots can blame Foster, Varadkar, Coveney and Johnson who all had their part to play in damaging the internal UK East-West market.

Brexit was always a bad & stupid idea anyway.

Basically Varadkar & Coveney stoked up people's fears so much about a HARD land border being erected (literally) between NI & here, that all the pressure was then concentrated on creating a new border down the Irish sea!

I get where Poots is coming from, I understand what he's saying, there was such a massive emphasis on keeping the GFA and respecting the GFA (when there was no threat to the GFA), and making sure that there were zero border checks, (not even remote checks) and that all of EU-UK checks were to be done East-West, and West-East, which was obviously going to rattle Unionism and the internal UK market.

Remember all the talk about "The all island economy " how the all island economy must be protected at all costs, the all island economy was the most important thing of all....Brussels got this message LOUD & CLEAR from Coveney, but what of the much bigger internal UK economy?

Just the odd mention that the NI-GB market is far far bigger than "the all island exonomy", but just like the land border, Varadkar & Coveney shouted much much louder than Arlene, and the Unionist voice was sidelined by Boris, so Poots can blame Foster, Varadkar, Coveney and Johnson who all had their part to play in damaging the internal UK East-West market.

Brexit was always a bad & stupid idea IMO.

What has the 'internal border of the UK (which was leaving the UK) got to do with Brussels or us?

We protected ourselves and made sure we were not, as much as possible, going to pay a price created by Brexiters.

I dont think his views will have any impact on their views of SF
    Rain falling out of the sky will still be wet

You just proved my point.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

What has the 'internal border of the UK (which was leaving the UK) got to do with Brussels or us?

We protected ourselves and made sure we were not, as much as possible, going to pay a price created by Brexiters.

Poots is taking aim at Coveney & Varadkar because he thinks they pushed the "all island economy" speil so much that it cooper fastened the idea in EU minds that the NI-GB sea border was where everything would be concentrated, he would also say that Arlene didn't shout loudly enough in protecting the internal UK market, I presume .....

Poots is taking aim at Coveney & Varadkar because he thinks they pushed the "all island economy" speil so much that it cooper fastened the idea in EU minds that the NI-GB sea border was where everything would be concentrated, he would also say that Arlene didn't shout loudly enough, I presume .....

Poots is stoking division in order to cover up the absolute mess the DUP made of their strategy around Brexit - which was to stoke division to try and destroy the GFA which they have still to sign up to.

Call a spade a spade here HC.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Whatcar212

Poots is taking aim at Coveney & Varadkar because he thinks they pushed the "all island economy" speil so much that it cooper fastened the idea in EU minds that the NI-GB sea border was where everything would be concentrated, he would also say that Arlene didn't shout loudly enough in protecting the internal UK market, I presume .....

So Poots is taking aim at FG for doing their job properly? Rather than pointing out how badly Arlene and Boris ****ed up?

Sounds par for the course I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,411 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

There seems to be this idea going around and backed by a fair few on Boards that the Dail and Brussels acted maliciously by fighting for what was best for Irish/EU citizens

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

topdecko wrote: »
    This will end badly.

For who?

Advertisement