Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Arlene, Edwin, her replacement and his replacement as leader of the DUP

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭lurleen lumpkin

TUFZMTMxMTI3OTUx.jpg?width=640&enable=upscale

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

TUFZMTMxMTI3OTUx.jpg?width=640&enable=upscale

He's too stupid to notice

I'm starting to warm to new Arlene. It will make a hell of a book if nothing else.

The hardcore DUP contingent really hate Leo V and Simon C. So do hardcore SF types. How do you square that circle?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,734 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

The hardcore DUP contingent really hate Leo V and Simon C.

No, they don't, particularly. They know they can kick off like this with zero consequences. They use FG's hate of SF really well. They use them like saps...as they say.

No, they don't, particularly. They know they can kick off like this with zero consequences. They use FG's hate of SF really well. They use them like saps...as they say.

Ara, this auld politics thing is a funny business as they say, Francie. SF and FG supporters both taking huge pleasure in Eoghan Harris being exposed; Poots saying Martin is grand, but Leo and Simon are dangerous; SF cleaning up shop in Derry and Tyrone to try and remain relevant to young nationalists.

I'm starting to form the opinion that young people really don't like nationalism. In any form. Grubby stuff.

• Advertisement

Ara, this auld politics thing is a funny business as they say, Francie. SF and FG supporters both taking huge pleasure in Eoghan Harris being exposed; Poots saying Martin is grand, but Leo and Simon are dangerous; SF cleaning up shop in Derry and Tyrone to try and remain relevant to young nationalists.

I'm starting to form the opinion that young people really don't like nationalism. In any form. Grubby stuff.

SF's issues don't look to me like they cause a PD like or a Renua like rift, the DUP's issues do though.
    Maybe Edwin could look to FG or FF for advice on the 'rift'?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,233 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

I'm starting to warm to new Arlene. It will make a hell of a book if nothing else.

The hardcore DUP contingent really hate Leo V and Simon C. So do hardcore SF types. How do you square that circle?

It's a strange one all right, but my guess is that Leo and Simon represent a new Ireland that transcends sectarian division which is the bread and butter of SF and the DUP.

I do wonder though whether Arlene will fill her pockets with lawsuits against places like boards that allowed the lies about her to fester. She certainly won against some journalists already. Some of the posters on here might get a bit nervous.

SF's issues don't look to me like they cause a PD like or a Renua like rift, the DUP's issues do though.

Nor a chance that SF issues cause the same rift. Sure don't they know what's good for them, and what will happen?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

blanch152 wrote: »
    It's a strange one all right, but my guess is that Leo and Simon represent a new Ireland that transcends sectarian division which is the bread and butter of SF and the DUP.

I do wonder though whether Arlene will fill her pockets with lawsuits against places like boards that allowed the lies about her to fester. She certainly won against some journalists already. Some of the posters on here might get a bit nervous.

Examples please.

Examples please.

https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/arlene-foster-awarded-125000-damages-24199522

Not going to go back through the various Arlene threads, but this lie was referenced several times. With the money, she could go after anyone, including posters on here who repeated these allegations.

Don't ask me to quote them, because then I would get dragged into it as well, but you can find the relevant posts if you look hard enough.

• Advertisement

Not too sure what the former PDs or the 'do not resuscitate' renua have to do with anything tbh.

Foster, Donaldson; even Paisley Jnr are going to be thrown out of/walk from the DUP. Anderson being hacked from the Derry limb of SF. Hardcore SF and DUP supporters hating FG. It's a crisis in petty nationalism.

I love it I must say.

Was I the only one surprised to hear Gregory 'curry my yogurt' Campbell walked out as well, I thought he'd have been well on the side of Pootsy. No?

Not too sure what the former PDs or the 'do not resuscitate' renua have to do with anything tbh.

Foster, Donaldson; even Paisley Jnr are going to be thrown out of/walk from the DUP. Anderson being hacked from the Derry limb of SF. Hardcore SF and DUP supporters hating FG. It's a crisis in petty nationalism.

I love it I must say.

I'm smiling here at the attempt (as usual) to bring nationalists into a wholly Unionist implosion.

Gas.

I'm smiling here at the attempt (as usual) to bring nationalists into a wholly Unionist implosion.

Gas.

I'm taking great pleasure in the implosion of the DUP as well, Francie. Agreeing with you. Would have had no time for Foster in general, but the fallout will be entertaining.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

blanch152 wrote: »
    https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/arlene-foster-awarded-125000-damages-24199522

Not going to go back through the various Arlene threads, but this lie was referenced several times. With the money, she could go after anyone, including posters on here who repeated these allegations.

Don't ask me to quote them, because then I would get dragged into it as well, but you can find the relevant posts if you look hard enough.

Are you suggesting you're at risk of being sued for libel if you quote a post that you're claiming is untrue?!

Arlene isn't hurting for cash, Blanch. If she wanted to sue all around her, she didn't need to wait for Dr whatshisface's money to do so. She obviously wanted the big public win to vindicate her and I'd say she'll never want the issue discussed again. I'd imagine she would achieve something more akin to the Streisand Effect than anything she would want if she started going after anyone who made claims on message boards like Boards or even Reddit (which I believe had a great deal more on the topic).

I did look for the relevant posts and I found a thread that was very quickly shut down as speculative rather than current affairs. Now granted I'm not a lawyer, but there didn't seem to be too much that was potentially libellous on the thread and I didn't notice any regular posters on this thread repeating the allegations.

The real question though, is it potentially libellous to knowingly falsely accuse someone else of libel?! I'm talking hypothetically (and tongue in cheek) rather than making a legal threat of course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭Jizique

Was I the only one surprised to hear Gregory 'curry my yogurt' Campbell walked out as well, I thought he'd have been well on the side of Pootsy. No?

That was the one that truly shocked me; he comes across as being particularly close to the UDA. His views on Songs of Praise would also be closer to what I would expect from the Poots wing.

Jizique wrote: »
    That was the one that truly shocked me; he comes across as being particularly close to the UDA. His views on Songs of Praise would also be closer to what I would expect from the Poots wing.

Gregory being outside the tent pi$$ing in is a piece of the puzzle I'm personally missing. Maybe something to do with his deputy bid not being supported?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,948 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

In fairness Sinn Fein have had more splits than the Peoples Front of Judea

breezy1985 wrote: »

In fairness breezy, they all have. But SF's are special apparently. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

I dimly remember some suggestion years ago that Alliance would designate themselves as one or the other to get past some crisis in the powersharing set-up...
    josip wrote: »
    I think that would be unlikely given that they are fundamentally opposed to the power sharing part of the GFA.
    Fionn1952 wrote: »
    It'd be political suicide for them considering how significant the proportion of their voters who do so specifically because they don't designate.

Alliance temporarily re-designated as Unionist in 2001 to avert a GFA crisis (dissidents in the UUP voting against Trimble as FM in order to prevent a government being formed). They did so with the support of the pro-GFA parties and the Irish Government.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/alliance-party-confirms-re-designation-of-mlas-as-unionists-1.402409

They and their supporters are pragmatic enough to know that ticking a meaningless box to get a job done in a broken system isn’t the end of the world.

Although at the time leader David Ford did say 'I don't think anyone in our party could stomach being a unionist or a nationalist for more than 24 hours.'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,305 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I’m not shocked there was a bit of a scrap for the open leadership role when Arlene foster said she was stepping down. What I am surprised at is how unseemly it has gone, because I’d assume that when push came to shove they’d unite to stop Sinn Fein.

The People's Front of Judea only had one split....

Fionn1952 wrote: »
    The People's Front of Judea only had one split....

2 the JPF and the Popular People's Front

2 the JPF and the Popular People's Front

That would be one split...

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭ClosedAccountFuzzy

I think the DUP is going to move to the fringes. It looks to me like they’re pushing to be a religiously driven, very socially right wing party and I honestly think that the demand for that kind of politics is a lot smaller than they seem to imagine.

Foster had kept them focused in the unionist position. I think we’re witnessing something like a micro version of what’s happened to the GOP, only without much of a right wing Christian voter base.

I see the DUP as being a party that’s chasing right wing political populism that likely has very limited support in NI beyond a few bubbles.

They bolted themselves to Brexit in a very dogmatic way, which has ended up delivering a total mess in Northern Ireland and then the other side of the party seems to be aligned with the US Bible Belt.

You’d wonder do they actually listen to the population of Northern Ireland at all, or just consult right wing English and US Bible Belt Twitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭rockatansky

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    I’m not shocked there was a bit of a scrap for the open leadership role when Arlene foster said she was stepping down. What I am surprised at is how unseemly it has gone, because I’d assume that when push came to shove they’d unite to stop Sinn Fein.

Moderates (if you could barely call them that) v Fundamentalists of a Political Party It's always nasty and public when they go head to head.

Look at the Republican Party in the US and the treatment of McCain and others who are not aligned to the Trump extremists.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Foster had kept them focused in the unionist position. I think we’re witnessing something like a micro version of what’s happened to the GOP, only without much of a right wing Christian voter base.

Whatever you think is happening with the GOP probably isn't happening.

Unionisms reaction to any change is always NEVERNEVERNEVER. DUP's problem is that they've been in government forever so now they can't be the firebrands who benefit from a NEVERNEVERNEVER reaction, and maybe, just maybe, the troops aren't going to rally against the latest threat to the union.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,391 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Yep, the DUP model is dated - even with the slow pace of change up north. Stlll plenty of benefits to citizens with the union arrangement though. So more fragmentation of the unionist vote but overall, can't see any immediate enthusiasm to leave the union among both unionists of all levels and many 'nationalists. Big job of work still for those aspiring to a UI to persuade their neighbours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,391 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Bambi wrote: »
    DUP's problem is that they've been in government forever so now they can't be the firebrands who benefit from a NEVERNEVERNEVER reaction, and maybe, just maybe, the troops aren't going to rally against the latest threat to the union.

How old are you?? DUP are Johnny Come Latelys just like the Shinners!

• Advertisement

Bambi wrote: »
    Whatever you think is happening with the GOP probably isn't happening.

Unionisms reaction to any change is always NEVERNEVERNEVER. DUP's problem is that they've been in government forever so now they can't be the firebrands who benefit from a NEVERNEVERNEVER reaction, and maybe, just maybe, the troops aren't going to rally against the latest threat to the union.

UUP are the traditional party of government in NI not the DUP who were belligerent religious fundamentalist upstarts. Poots is actually just a return to the parties NO to everything from nationalists to dancing and having fun roots

Advertisement