Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arlene, Edwin, her replacement and his replacement as leader of the DUP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,680 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Looks like Jr isn’t into temperance like Pops was. Looks like he was full to the brim with porter.

Embarrassing really.

Paisley junior would disgust his father.

Anyone can Clearly see he is well and truly buckled on stage with “van the man”.

Embarrassing really.

Paisley junior would disgust his father.

Anyone can Clearly see he is well and truly buckled on stage with “van the man”.

Young Ian was seen as being almost progressive by DUP standards a few years back. Even taking a holiday down in Mexico with the family. Brexit seems to have really turned the hardliners into hardliners.

Foster looked positively giddy this afternoon at the press conference. I'd say she's done with the whole lot of them.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Foster looked positively giddy this afternoon at the press conference. I'd say she's done with the whole lot of them.

I've heard for a good while now that Foster is supposed to be great craic to be in the company of with a great sense of humour.

She's still a bigot and a liar, but seeing that side of her today didn't come as a massive surprise.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Christ almighty. Cameo from Ian Óg near the end if you can stomach it.
    https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/1403329529481936899?s=19

Rubbing Swans is very dangerous... [Stoleden]

---

Van lives in Dalkey though...?

Faugheen wrote: »
    I've heard for a good while now that Foster is supposed to be great craic to be in the company of with a great sense of humour.

She's still a bigot and a liar, but seeing that side of her today didn't come as a massive surprise.

I'm tired of this revisionism that's been going on with Foster the last while.

Mícheál was at it as well again today.

She's a bigot and a liar and corrupt. Just because Poots is a bigger bigot she gets a pass now?

Bertie's corruption wasn't mitigated by P Flynn's or Ray Burke's or Liam Lawlor's... par example...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,770 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

breezy1985 wrote: »
    The leg movements were dangerously close to a jig getting off that stage

Snapped candles....

• Registered Users Posts: 10,770 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Looks like Jr isn’t into temperance like Pops was. Looks like he was full to the brim with porter.

At least a gallon of the "devil's buttermilk" on board.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,885 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭AdrianG08

Saw a brilliant tweet by Jamie Bryson this morning, done in complete seriousness to describe the current Unionist plight

By Thomas Sowell:

"Civil rights used to be about treating everyone the same. But today some people are so used to special treatment that equal treatment is considered to be discrimination".

Am I incorrect in saying this completely describes hardliners in the Unionist community.

Unbelievable. Only 1 community getting special treatment for the vast majority of the 100 years of NI's existence.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

I'm just wondering, would there be many voters on either side of the NI cultural divide whose preferred final status is an independent Northern Ireland, as opposed to either being part of the UK or Irish Republic? Even just in terms of the current set-up, would there be many people in Northern Ireland who feel that they'd rather have their own separate government long-term as opposed to the Assembly being subsumed into a larger 32 county parliament?

It just occurs to me that purely from a democratic point of view, having one's own parliament subsumed into a larger one is rather like being a shareholder in a company and having the stock diluted - especially since there are a plethora of laws which wouldn't align between the two jurisdictions (to take one silly example, young nationalists up North might be rather peeved to discover that they wouldn't be able to buy fireworks for Halloween anymore if Northern Ireland simply joined the Republic and their entire statute book was replaced with our own :D ) and a 32 county Republic would place Northern Ireland in a similar situation to that of Ireland as a member of the UK, in which one could easily see Northern Irish issues falling to the bottom of the pile of priorities in Ireland's, let's face it, very Dublin-centric central government.

I've long felt that a federal UI might be the best compromise there - keep Stormont, keep the Oireachtas, give each government autonomy over its jurisdiction, and unite the country on the state level in terms of presidency, flag, international representation etc. But is this something many Northern Irish voters on either side see as a problem, or does the status issue entirely supercede the issue of democratic dilution in the event of reunification?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,998 ✭✭✭✭josip

My understanding is that NI is an economic basket case and is reliant/dependent/addicted to UK handouts/public sector jobs.
    Left to fend for itself, it would suffer increased unemployment and a return of civil unrest that has been suppressed in part by the influx of easy money.
    NI will require a willing host (UK/Ireland) from which it can leech for many more years before it can be economically self sufficient.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,167 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

I'm just wondering, would there be many voters on either side of the NI cultural divide whose preferred final status is an independent Northern Ireland, as opposed to either being part of the UK or Irish Republic? Even just in terms of the current set-up, would there be many people in Northern Ireland who feel that they'd rather have their own separate government long-term as opposed to the Assembly being subsumed into a larger 32 county parliament?

It just occurs to me that purely from a democratic point of view, having one's own parliament subsumed into a larger one is rather like being a shareholder in a company and having the stock diluted - especially since there are a plethora of laws which wouldn't align between the two jurisdictions (to take one silly example, young nationalists up North might be rather peeved to discover that they wouldn't be able to buy fireworks for Halloween anymore if Northern Ireland simply joined the Republic and their entire statute book was replaced with our own :D ) and a 32 county Republic would place Northern Ireland in a similar situation to that of Ireland as a member of the UK, in which one could easily see Northern Irish issues falling to the bottom of the pile of priorities in Ireland's, let's face it, very Dublin-centric central government.

I've long felt that a federal UI might be the best compromise there - keep Stormont, keep the Oireachtas, give each government autonomy over its jurisdiction, and unite the country on the state level in terms of presidency, flag, international representation etc. But is this something many Northern Irish voters on either side see as a problem, or does the status issue entirely supercede the issue of democratic dilution in the event of reunification?

We have 100 years of evidence that NI was designed to be ungovernable by itself. 25 years evidence that it is even difficult being run under the auspices of an international agreement.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭lurleen lumpkin

DUP MPs and MLAs voted against nominating a first minister by 24-4.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,536 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

DUP meeting described as bedlam. LOL

Poots is nominating a First Minister despite the 24-4 opposition

• Registered Users Posts: 6,243 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

josip wrote: »
    My understanding is that NI is an economic basket case and is reliant/dependent/addicted to UK handouts/public sector jobs.
    Left to fend for itself, it would suffer increased unemployment and a return of civil unrest that has been suppressed in part by the influx of easy money.
    NI will require a willing host (UK/Ireland) from which it can leech for many more years before it can be economically self sufficient.

Northern Ireland made a profit for the rest of Britain from foundation into the 1960s when the Civil Rights crowd started up. They are hard working people and if it wasn't for the distraction of violence would be an economic powerhouse. The South doesn't want the North because the Southern Irish elites know that they would soon end up playing second fiddle to Northerners in an enlarged state.

Northern Ireland made a profit for the rest of Britain from foundation into the 1960s when the Civil Rights crowd started up. They are hard working people and if it wasn't for the distraction of violence would be an economic powerhouse. The South doesn't want the North because the Southern Irish elites know that they would soon end up playing second fiddle to Northerners in an enlarged state.

Alternative facts alert.

“The Civil Rights crowd” unbelievable.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,998 ✭✭✭✭josip

The East Germans are also a hard working people, but having been subjected to a failed economic model for 45 years will require decades of support from West Germany to recover.
    Likewise NI.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,977 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Ah yes, if not for those pesky Catholics looking for equal rights the linen and ship building industries would still be thriving up there !

• Registered Users Posts: 12,467 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

one for the ignore list

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

There is a growing middle ground in Northern Ireland that is looking for a third way, other than a united Ireland or the current status quo.

This is rabidly denied by republicans for fear it undermines the united Ireland project, however, this fear is motivating the more strident calls for a border poll.

No. Even before sectarianism* was dared to be challenged NI was relying on hand outs from England. You're correct in thinking NI has been in deficit since 1966, but it wasn't the first year it was in deficit.

* Btw, this sectarianism is the ultimate reason why the PLU community are the welfare class now. They took most of the manual labour jobs, but these are now very scarce, while the CNR community had no option but to get educated, which is far more suited to today's economy. Although, Thank You seems the wrong response.

blanch152 wrote: »
    There is a growing middle ground in Northern Ireland that is looking for a third way, other than a united Ireland or the current status quo.

This is rabidly denied by republicans for fear it undermines the united Ireland project, however, this fear is motivating the more strident calls for a border poll.
    Of course there is if you say so LOL. Who is articulating this “third way” exactly. They’re keeping it under wraps perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,986 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

This will end in tears, listening to RTE"s obsessive all things NI this morning, I couldn't get my head around a scenario whereby 2/3 of the DUP voted against appointing a first minister, Poots ignores this, appoints one, SF follow suit re deputy, they can barely sit in the same room as the current DUP leadership , Poots despite being leader doesn't want the Job of 1st Minister, Northern secretary infuriates the DUP with the Irish Language dictate. In essence, I guess another dollar, another day in the Basket case that is the North, any wonder the Brits and particular Boris, done with farce and people still calling for a united Ireland? Unite with this S*****, no thanks!

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,698 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Got a source for the first bit? It's a big claim and so I'm sure you have some figures to show this success.

No there's not.

But you're more than welcome to lead a third way and a renegotiation if you wish. That's the great thing about democracy.

Off you go now to build your consensus.

This republican has asked you to point to a politician/politic party advocating for an Independent NI. You have, as yet, not provided any.

As yet you have only created the illusion that this is all in your head. The last bastion of partitionists and belligerent Unionists is an 'independent NI' traditionally.

Do you think that is how it will play out in a border poll, those two ideologies will coalesce to offer an alternative to a UI?

Dempo1 wrote: »
    This will end in tears,

It's already ended in tears if you look at the DUP and those against equal rights for all in Ireland.

Floods of them today.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,871 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

pixelburp wrote: »
    Got a source for the first bit? It's a big claim and so I'm sure you have some figures to show this success.

I'd be sceptical of the claim myself. At the time of the 1916 Rising, Belfast was the biggest (most populated) city in Ireland. Dublin long since passed it out ; that doesn't sound like a city that was thriving under a NI government during the 20th century, more like one that went into decline.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭AdrianG08

Some drama, who would have thought it would be Poots and Givern who would usher in the Irish language act and insist that the rest of the party fall into line and accept differing identities on the island.

https://twitter.com/rtenews?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1405490715820539906%7Ctwgr%5E%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.rte.ie%2Fnews%2F2021%2F0617%2F1228654-northern-ireland-latest%2F

Did Sammy Wilson not vote in favour of Poots? He was supposedly shouting the odds "NEVER" etc.. at Poots during the party meeting last night.

So does this mean Arlene was ousted because she was too opposed to the Irish language act again? :D

Advertisement