Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arlene, Edwin, her replacement and his replacement as leader of the DUP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

Am I right in thinking he only selected Givan to be first minister so he could be blamed if something went wrong. Or did he shiit himself at the thought of the criticism that comes with being first minister. Strange one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,621 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

Tyrone212 wrote: »
    Am I right in thinking he only selected Givan to be first minister so he could be blamed if something went wrong. Or did he shiit himself at the thought of the criticism that comes with being first minister. Strange one.

Word is that he saw the writing on the wall for a SF First Minister at the next election and couldn't cope with the idea of being DFM to a SF FM.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,167 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Fionn1952 wrote: »
    Word is that he saw the writing on the wall for a SF First Minister at the next election and couldn't cope with the idea of being DFM to a SF FM.

What I read too.

He's in a meeting with exec officers now according to twitter. Hold the line...could be gone today...mad stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,834 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Dempo1 wrote: »
    It's called NI politics :)

NI is entertaining when they not shooting each other. Both hardline sides do not realise how ridiculous they sound. But is 'normal' for them. They might slightly behave in a more sane fashion eventually the indicator will start with more considered posts on social media rather than the 'they started it' line of arguments.

At the moment it is akin to children playing games on both sides, zero grasp of political reality from either side of the divide.
    Just playing with words and pantomime that is NI politics. Gas thing is I think they are so used it that they enjoy it.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭CDarby

NI is entertaining when they not shooting each other. Both sides do not realise how ridiculous they sound. But is 'normal' for them. They might slightly behave in a more sane fashion eventually the indicator will start with more considered posts on social media rather than the 'they started it' line of arguments.

At the moment it is akin to children playing games on both sides, zero grasp of political reality from either side of the divide.
    Just playing with words and pantomime that is NI politics. Gas thing is I think they are so used it that they enjoy it.

We live in a state that has been governed by one of two party's since the states formation, while constantly being told one of those two party's were in some way different to the other, only to see.them finally come together and admit there's not a blind bit of difference in either or, for no other reason than they refuse to let go of power.

We are in no way for to point and laugh at those in the north, at least up there one side of the political divide was constantly trying to undermine, demean, and deny the other civil rights and liberties.

You or I have no moral high ground in that regard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,427 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

CDarby wrote: »
    We live in a state that has been governed by one of two party's since the states formation, while constantly being told one of those two party's were in some way different to the other, only to see.them finally come together and admit there's not a blind bit of difference in either or, for no other reason than they refuse to let go of power.

We are in no way for to point and laugh at those in the north, at least up there one side of the political divide was constantly trying to undermine, demean, and deny the other civil rights and liberties.

You or I have no moral high ground in that regard.

The 2 situations are not even the tiniest bit close to being the same. Most countries have 2 fairly centrist parties swapping and sometimes sharing power.

We don't need flag commissions, parade commissions we didn't have the longest suspended government in European history over a language act. We don't need to create legally binding power sharing governments so we don't kill each other.

Half of NI tries to keep the whole country locked down every Sunday cause god says so, don't believe in gay rights do believe in conversation therapy and are lead by a man who thinks the country is 6024 years old. I'll happily feel morally superior to that mess

breezy1985 wrote: »
    The 2 situations are not even the tiniest bit close to being the same. Most countries have 2 fairly centrist parties swapping and sometimes sharing power.

We don't need flag commissions, parade commissions we didn't have the longest suspended government in European history over a language act. We don't need to create legally binding power sharing governments so we don't kill each other.

Half of NI tries to keep the whole country locked down every Sunday cause god says so, don't believe in gay rights do believe in conversation therapy and are lead by a man who thinks the country is 6024 years old. I'll happily feel morally superior to that mess

We didn't have 80 years of a sectarian bigoted junta shored up by one of the most powerful countries in the world administering a partition designed to favour them.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

'We' fought a vicious insurgency against the British. 'We' disappeared people all over Ireland. 'We' had a vicious civil war. 'We' had elected politicians walking into the Dail armed to the teeth expecting a coup. 'We' had elected politicians in the Dail who boasted of having killed over 20 people during the War of Independence.

The NI statelet concentrated and worsened the problems 'we' had in the south and now they're all coming to a head largely because 'we' pretended they were nothing to do with 'us'.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,872 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Tyrone212 wrote: »

Do we know just why the DUP rank and file oppose Givan as First Minister? Is it over the Irish language act or do they just not like Givan as a person? It sounds like a large number of people who backed Poots as leader are now trying to disrupt the FM move.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,536 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

What is the point in sacking Poots? The Tories in Westminster have said they will implement the Irish language Act in Westminster, so what difference does it make changing the DUP leader?

• Advertisement

TheCitizen wrote: »
    What is the point in sacking Poots? The Tories in Westminster have said they will implement the Irish language Act in Westminster, so what difference does it make changing the DUP leader?

As I asked just above, is this over implementation of the Irish language act or is it about something entirely different? It's an extraordinary state of affairs that the party has turned on Poots after 20 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭nc6000

I guess he was always at risk once the leadership election was so close. Not becoming First Minister himself seemed a bit strange.

nc6000 wrote: »
    I guess he was always at risk once the leadership election was so close. Not becoming First Minister himself seemed a bit strange.

Just reading those suggestions further up that he didn't fancy the prospect of being a deputy FM to Michelle O'Neill in future.

It's a strange period. If the DUP were to try and halt the Irish language act, that means no Assembly at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,194 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

In fact, that's the least strange thing about him.

Some years ago when he was Environment Minister the first time, he attended some meeting about conservation that a scientist of my acquaintance was at.

The topic of native species and diversity was under discussion and the speaker of the moment was talking about a decline in a species of eel common to rivers and lakes all over the island for 50,000 years.

Up stands Poots. "Excuse me but..... "

You can guess the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭nc6000

Strazdas wrote: »
    Just reading those suggestions further up that he didn't fancy the prospect of being a deputy FM to Michelle O'Neill in future.

It's a strange period. If the DUP were to try and halt the Irish language act, that means no Assembly at all.

Yeah, I read those. I think it would be difficult for a lot, if not all, of the DUP to play second fiddle to SF.

Hard to be relevant as party leader if you're neither FM up north or the leader in Westminster.

Larbre34 wrote: »
    In fact, that's the least strange thing about him.

Some years ago when he was Environment Minister the first time, he attended some meeting about conservation that a scientist of my acquaintance was at.

The topic of native species and diversity was under discussion and the speaker of the moment was talking about a decline in a species of eel common to rivers and lakes all over the island for 50,000 years.

Up stands Poots. "Excuse me but..... "

You can guess the rest.

Does he reckon dinosaurs are a media / cultural hoax and that they never actually existed?

Yeah, I read those. Hard to be relevant as party leader if you're neither FM up north or the leader in Westminster.

I find it hard to believe all of this is about the implementation of the Irish language act. As you say, it's more likely that plenty within the party see him as a very weak figure.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,032 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Fionn1952 wrote: »

Well he shouldn’t have gone for the leadership of the party then because he’d not be blamed if a SF majority does occur. He’s been the leader of the DUP for just under three weeks which is shorter then expected. How in the name of Jesus(probably literally) has the DUP made a complete and utter dogs dinner of this situation ? Even allowing for the party line of “NO” this is gold.

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Well he shouldn’t have gone for the leadership of the party then because he’d not be blamed if a SF majority does occur. He’s been the leader of the DUP for just under three weeks which is shorter then expected. How in the name of Jesus(probably literally) has the DUP made a complete and utter dogs dinner of this situation ? Even allowing for the party line of “NO” this is gold.

The wafer thin majority for him should probably have given us a clue there would be trouble ahead. It was almost literally a toss of a coin whether he or Donaldson got the job (but it means a party that has a big split between two rival factions).

• Registered Users Posts: 15,682 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

You love to see it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,682 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Does he reckon dinosaurs are a media / cultural hoax and that they never actually existed?

It’s a hardline biblical thing ...

The wafer thin majority for him should probably have given us a clue there would be trouble ahead. It was almost literally a toss of a coin whether he or Donaldson got the job (but it means a party that has a big split between two rival factions).

A lot of animosity about knifing Foster in the back too.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,032 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Just listened to the bbc Ulster and their news update at 6pm and they played sammy Wilson’s comments which I’d already heard, but the reporter had comments from Jeffery Donaldson which was “what a beautful day,” which isn’t even subtle.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Dank Janniels

Will Joffrey get the leadership nod?

'We' fought a vicious insurgency against the British. 'We' disappeared people all over Ireland. 'We' had a vicious civil war. 'We' had elected politicians walking into the Dail armed to the teeth expecting a coup. 'We' had elected politicians in the Dail who boasted of having killed over 20 people during the War of Independence.

The NI statelet concentrated and worsened the problems 'we' had in the south and now they're all coming to a head largely because 'we' pretended they were nothing to do with 'us'.

100 years ago. We are talking about NI now today ffs

Edit: sorry I may have confused you with someone else there

100 years ago. We are talking about NI now today ffs

The GFA was only signed in 98. Did you think they were all going to live happily ever after?

The GFA was only the beginnings of sorting out the problems created by a tragic partition

The GFA was only signed in 98. Did you think they were all going to live happily ever after?

The GFA was only the beginnings of sorting out the problems created by a tragic partition

As I said I misunderstood the post. I thought it was from the Darby who was claiming that NI and ROI are the same basket cases

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Larry Bee

Will Joffrey get the leadership nod?

He only lost the recent election by a couple of votes. The party would be just as divided under him as it is now.
    But who else could run for it?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,891 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Larry Bee wrote: »
    He only lost the recent election by a couple of votes. The party would be just as divided under him as it is now.
    But who else could run for it?
    SAMMY WILSON :mad:

(caps used to mimic his voice, :mad: smiley to mimic his face)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,657 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

A real basket case of a political party at the minute......great to see!

Advertisement