Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arlene, Edwin, her replacement and his replacement as leader of the DUP

Options

Comments

human 19 wrote: »
    Wow, Unionists complaining that Westminster is involving itself directly in NI politics.

Or SF invoking them to get involved in Irish politics. Strange times.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

• Registered Users Posts: 69,033 ✭✭✭✭L1011

so will they go even more hardline now against the protocol, and demand things that are not legally possible, thus pushing more voters to the Alliance, or are are they doing a Cameron and trying to shore up leakage to the TUV?

No matter what they do there's going to be leakage to two of three sides.

Softer (compared to Paisleyism) Unionists who supported them as the mainstream Unionist party may go UUP if they go harder

Paisleyite may go TUV if they go softer

Some Unionists who voted for them just as the best chance to keep themmuns out may go Alliance as a new best chance in all scenarios.

NI voters do seem to frequently understand the different choices for the Assembly (STV) and Westminster (FPTP) systems but fragmentation still causes issues with STV with elimination order mainly.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,489 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

pixelburp wrote: »
    And assuming this makes the mainland news, the rest of the UK wil continue to look at Northern Ireland as an ungovernable mess, and long past casting off. With each action the DUP slide the province closer to a border poll, if only by it being pressurised by a Westminster long last caring. Not by much, but by the smallest of degrees.

Sky News in the UK broke the story on my phone about Poots resignation only half an hour ago. There are not ignoring this story by any means. The other UK media outlets must be thinking the same thing already in being an important problem with potentially asking how a border poll becomes set up in NI in the future.

If any talk of a conclusion within this political impass in the North become unresolvable by senior figures in the British Government who could quite possibly think the same thing. A border poll seems much more feasible & to become closer to fruition.

It makes this NI issue extremely tricky at the moment when it metaphorically has it's hands tied into the UK trade deal negotiations with the EU over Brexit.

I think the big question over these recent events with Poots & Givan up to now should be does the British government want to reconsider the legal status of NI to instead become tied up as part of a United Ireland instead along with those who live in the Republic of Ireland or not when they currently take into consideration all of the developments as to how it has got here in the 1st place?

It's a huge crucial question that I think need to be asked now among people living in NI and particularly for those who currently live here in the Republic especially when we are on the way out of a major pandemic.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,874 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

so will they go even more hardline now against the protocol, and demand things that are not legally possible, thus pushing more voters to the Alliance, or are are they doing a Cameron and trying to shore up leakage to the TUV?

From what Ben Lowry was saying, he thinks they are far more wound up about the Irish language act, plus the growing threat from Sinn Fein - it's not necessarily the Protocol that is causing the party divisions at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,663 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

DUP in an absolute mess now, it would be great if Sammy Wilson took the top job just to rightly finish them off.

Is anyone familiar with what arguments the DUP put forward for not passing the Irish Language Act? Like was there anything remotely credible about their reasons or were they just blocking it for years to stick it to the other side?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,760 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Surely now is the time for Fianna Fáil to organise in the north as the current lot up there are unable to govern?

2382345079_be546e0053_o.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 13,998 ✭✭✭✭josip

I would have preferred to see him remain.
    There's always a chance, however slim, that the DUP will replace him with a candidate who ends up being somewhat competent and capable of arresting their slide into ignominy.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Strazdas wrote: »
    From what Ben Lowry was saying, he thinks they are far more wound up about the Irish language act, plus the growing threat from Sinn Fein - it's not necessarily the Protocol that is causing the party divisions at all.
    I think it’s just plain old bigotry!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,002 ✭✭✭✭briany

So, the DUP are forcing Poots out due to his move to nominate a First Minister and return Stormont to normal operation? I'd have thought the DUP would have been chomping at the bit to get Stormont back up and running, considering that Westminster is threatening to impose local laws the DUP would rather block.

At least the Monster Raving Looney Party have an M.O. to be comical.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,760 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

• Registered Users Posts: 26,986 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Can I tell Stephen Nolan something? F*** Right Off, can't abide this buffoon

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,171 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

briany wrote: »
    So, the DUP are forcing Poots out due to his move to nominate a First Minister and return Stormont to normal operation? I'd have thought the DUP would have been chomping at the bit to get Stormont back up and running, considering that Westminster is threatening to impose local laws the DUP would rather block.

At least the Monster Raving Looney Party have an M.O. to be comical.

Correction: Westminster will impose legislation by Oct whether they block or not.

They got snookered last night, hence today's implosion. They had no intention ever of ratifying the ILA.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,711 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

What Sinatra tune will poots sing at his press conference? I'm going with My Way (and now, the end is near...), Something Stupid or There May be Trouble Ahead

• Registered Users Posts: 18,874 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

It's an international agreement though. It cannot be 'changed' by one side (not without the most serious consequences).

• Registered Users Posts: 24,196 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Jim Wells being impressively honest on the Tonight Show.

"The Irish language is toxic. To Ulster Unionists its appreciated as much as people in the Republic appreciate the Orange Order"

More of this please. Let's talk about what we're talking about, not dance around the stuff that becomes the logjam later.

Would it be a stretch to say the British Government may use this latest nonsense to get out? Its been abundantly clear they've had enough and for quite some time and despite Boris"s proclamations on maintaining a strong Union, I don't think he gives a Toss. Brexit is all that matters to him and I reckon he'd pull the plug on propping up this basket case of a province in a heart beat.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,211 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

You can be sure that whatever they do they will do what all large political party's do and that is whatever they think is best for their party not what is best for their country/ state.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

What Sinatra tune will poots sing at his press conference? I'm going with My Way (and now, the end is near...), Something Stupid or There May be Trouble Ahead

Think it will be more Sinead O’Connor.

‘It’s been seven hours and 15 days...’

• Registered Users Posts: 13,998 ✭✭✭✭josip

Dempo1 wrote: »
    Would it be a stretch to say the British Government may use this latest nonsense to get out? Its been abundantly clear they've had enough and for quite some time and despite Boris"s proclamations on maintaining a strong Union, I don't think he gives a Toss. Brexit is all that matters to him and I reckon he'd pull the plug on propping up this basket case of a province in a heart beat.

I don't think they can legally, as long as a majority in NI choose to remain in the UK.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

I actually thought it was. Waterford Whisper when the notification popped up, they are absolutely bonkers!

• Registered Users Posts: 69,171 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

• Registered Users Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

Jim Wells from the DUP just said on the Tonight Show that they are against the Irish Language Act because SF are using it as a political weapon.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,626 ✭✭✭✭downcow

Larbre34 wrote: »

"The Irish language is toxic. To Ulster Unionists its appreciated as much as people in the Republic appreciate the Orange Order"

More of this please. Let's talk about what we're talking about, not dance around the stuff that becomes the logjam later.

Don’t often agree with jim but that is a fair analysis. Only I would say most unionists are very supportive of people learning and enjoying Irish. It’s just when it’s pushed in our faces that it’s a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,504 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

skimpydoo wrote: »
    Jim Wells from the DUP just said on the Tonight Show that they are against the Irish Language Act because SF are using it as a political weapon.

They are just against it because they are bigoted cnuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

It has to be You can go your own way.

josip wrote: »
    I don't think they can legally, as long as a majority in NI choose to remain in the UK.

Fair enough but trivial matters, such as legalities never bothered Boris in the past

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Regina Doherty tearing into both of them here.

downcow wrote: »
    Don’t often agree with jim but that is a fair analysis. Only I would say most unionists are very supportive of people learning and enjoying Irish. It’s just when it’s pushed in our faces that it’s a problem.

A bit like marching with flegs on July the 12th !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,002 ✭✭✭✭briany

Larbre34 wrote: »

So, going by that comparison, what he's saying is that Unionists don't really think about the Irish language on a day-to-day basis and there's actually a Gaeltacht up in Antrim which some Unionists attend?

Advertisement