Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arlene, Edwin, her replacement and his replacement as leader of the DUP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,211 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

padd b1975 wrote: »
    I like Sammy.
    He makes the world a brighter place.

Shambles of a politician obviously!

Didn't himself and Paisley juniors sister have a thing going one time.
    Actually haven't heard of her in a long time. Believe it or not she presented a show on RTE one time!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,007 ✭✭✭✭briany

awec wrote: »
    People really should stop confusing the DUP with "Unionists". It's something I see a lot of on here, people trying to pigeon hole every unionist as a DUP type.

There are plenty of unionists in the north who couldn't care less about an ILA, it is of no consequence to them.

This is always an excellent point that needs restating, but those same Unionists need to make their voices heard by electing representatives who will echo their indifference to such petty matters. If they are unwilling to do that, or simply can't do it due to insufficient numbers, then Unionism is kind of stuck.

briany wrote: »
    This is always an excellent point that needs restating, but those same Unionists need to make their voices heard by electing representatives who will echo their indifference to such petty matters. If they are unwilling to do that, or simply can't do it due to insufficient numbers, then Unionism is kind of stuck.

In fairness, that's what the recent polls are suggesting.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,837 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Hitler was given the Sudetenland.
    The locals didn't want to hand it over, it was imposed from Westminster.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,800 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

In fairness, that's what the recent polls are suggesting.

Not really an ideal time for collapsing a govt and calling an election so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Yeah, whatever the Nordie term for gombeen is-that's Sammy.

That would be a buck eegit!

• Administrators Posts: 53,851 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I like Sammy.
    He makes the world a brighter place.

Shambles of a politician obviously!

Sammy Wilson certainly brightens the place up with his big red face when he gets going.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,663 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

6 wrote: »
    What's the issue with the Irish language act for the DUP?

They cant handle anything being given to nationalists. It's pathetic tbh. When you add their opposition to the LGBT community it's bigotry plain and simple.

Caveman politics tbh.

Thats what it seems to be all about to me, like why else would you be against people who you dont even associate with speaking whatever language they want? Its pure bigotry. Plus I read the unionists have been fighting the introduction of this legialation since 2006 so its basically 15 years now they have been waging a war on introducing laws that were agreed to in the GFA.

Also when the Act does come in part of it is that Stormont will have to hire an Irish translator so if any MLA wants to speak Irish in the chamber they will translate what they are saying in real time through headphones on the ears of the unionists. They were raging about this because there wasnt an equivalent translator for Irish Scots. So to keep them happy Sinn Fein agreed to getting them a translator for Irish Scots too. But the thing is no unionsist MLA is actually able to speak Ulster Scots in any meaningful way. So this Irish Scots translator will get a job in Stormont and literally sit there week in week out and not actually do any work all just so the unionists can say they have a translator just like the other side do. It is truly bat sh1t crazy stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭AdrianG08

briany wrote: »

Exactly, we always hear about these Unionists who are more open minded (who don't epouse the no surrender attitude to everything) but either feck all of them exist, or they don't bother their arse to vote.

Politicians on the whole do not really hold any values themselves, they usually try and mirror their electorate in order to get themselves elected.

Being sectarian seems to be the key to getting elected under the current power sharing set up unfortunately, until that changes we won't see any difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,800 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Thats what it seems to be all about to me, like why else would you be against people who you dont even associate with speaking whatever language they want? Its pure bigotry. Plus I read the unionists have been fighting the introduction of this legialation since 2006 so its basically 15 years now they have been waging a war on introducing laws that were agreed to in the GFA.

Also when the Act does come in part of it is that Stormont will have to hire an Irish translator so if any MLA wants to speak Irish in the chamber they will translate what they are saying in real time through headphones on the ears of the unionists. They were raging about this because there wasnt an equivalent translator for Irish Scots. So to keep them happy Sinn Fein agreed to getting them a translator for Irish Scots too. But the thing is no unionsist MLA is actually able to speak Ulster Scots in any meaningful way. So this Irish Scots translator will get a job in Stormont and literally sit there week in week out and not actually do any work all just so the unionists can say they have a translator just like the other side do. It is truly bat sh1t crazy stuff.

Tripping up over this:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Sammy Wilson certainly brightens the place up with his big red face when he gets going.

Big red arse too. :D

qj1g8wdntmd21.jpg

• Administrators Posts: 53,851 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

AdrianG08 wrote: »
    Exactly, we always hear about these Unionists who are more open minded (who don't epouse the no surrender attitude to everything) but either feck all of them exist, or they don't bother their arse to vote.

Politicians on the whole do not really hold any values themselves, they usually try and mirror their electorate in order to get themselves elected.

Being sectarian seems to be the key to getting elected under the current power sharing set up unfortunately, until that changes we won't see any difference.

They don't vote. Turnout in NI elections is relatively low.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,176 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

They don't vote. Turnout in NI elections is relatively low.

All Unionist parties are against an ILA

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

It's bat **** crazy anyway to speak Irish in the Assembly or the Dail when everyone speaks fluent English anyway. If the objective is to communicate clearly your points, trying to use the language that everyone understands should be the priority and not an exercise in political point-scoring.

Imagine if There was a Japanese factory here and the local manager (fluent in both English and Japanese) had to address the staff, wouldn't it be regarded as nonsensical for him to speak using Japanese and require a translator?

Come to think of it, I can't recall last when I heard TD's give speeches in Irish, perhaps once by Gerry, but he stuck to English for nearly everything.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 5,990 ✭✭✭hometruths

It's bat **** crazy anyway to speak Irish in the Assembly or the Dail when everyone speaks fluent English anyway. If the objective is to communicate clearly your points, trying to use the language that everyone understands should be the priority and not an exercise in political point-scoring.

Imagine if There was a Japanese factory here and the local manager (fluent in both English and Japanese) had to address the staff, wouldn't it be regarded as nonsensical for him to speak using Japanese and require a translator?

Come to think of it, I can't recall last when I heard TD's give speeches in Irish, perhaps once by Gerry, but he stuck to English for nearly everything.

I remember Proinsias De Rossa apologising to the Dail in Irish. Quite a good trick as all the outraged fold demanding a public apology couldn't understand a word he said!

So abandon our heritage because we were colonised? Sure

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭What.Now

Loyalism has no stomach for a war. They will pump out bitterness and bile for the next month it will amount to nothing. Good morning ulster and George from the shankill will get it all a bit feisty. Then they will be Baton charged off their own estates and it will be quiet again.

An poblacht Abu.

That sounds very familiar.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭Penfailed

That is just a legal fiction. The language used by the majority of people in Ireland is English. There are a tiny number who use Irish as a day to day language and most of those are obliged to use English frequently in order to carry out there business. The Irish language is at this stage an academic language like Latin. No amount of constitutional argument is going to change that.

It's fascinating that those who 'big up' the English language, also have difficulty with it.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Ride, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,243 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

josip wrote: »
    On boards, everything is possible.
    Differing, because my son managed to conduct his business with a non-state entity through the medium of Irish.
    Concurring, because it wasn't possible with his initial point of contact.

I said it would be extremely difficult if not impossible, which it was. You needed a translator to order some food, in a county with genuine Irish speaking areas.
    It makes a nonsense of saying Irish is the language of Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭UDAWINNER

For the day that's in it and as some blame SF for everything like some resident unionists on here, defend this
    Hateful Scum

https://mobile.twitter.com/IrishUnity/status/1405786226649669632

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,243 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

Penfailed wrote: »
    It's fascinating that those who 'big up' the English language, also have difficulty with it.

Pettifogging. Anyone can have a typo. I will refrain from back seat-modding.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

That is just a legal fiction. The language used by the majority of people in Ireland is English. There are a tiny number who use Irish as a day to day language and most of those are obliged to use English frequently in order to carry out there business. The Irish language is at this stage an academic language like Latin. No amount of constitutional argument is going to change that.

I’m struggling to understand what your actual point is here. The entire rationale for an Irish Language Act is based on the very reason that its survival is threatened.

It seems bizarre to hold misgivings (well, at least that’s the impression you’re giving) about legislation designed to protect a threatened language on the mere basis that the language is in fact threatened.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,837 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

So this Irish Scots translator will get a job in Stormont and literally sit there week in week out and not actually do any work all just so the unionists can say they have a translator just like the other side do. It is truly bat sh1t crazy stuff.
    AFAIK the person that did the Irish translatation also did the Ulster Scots.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,988 ✭✭✭circadian

All Unionist parties are against an ILA

I don't think it's that black and white. Beattie has said he doesn't agree with it in it's current format as it's being used as a football by SF and the DUP. He does support the language and has said that he wouldn't block legislation if it were to be brought to Stormont.

There's a world of difference between the DUP and UUP stance on this, UUP are at least willing to engage and work towards a resolution. The DUP simply do not want to engage, in literally anything.

The stunning irony of all this is that not so long ago the DUP would have welcomed direct rule. Now they see how far out of touch they are, even with the Tories, that they are now attempting to defend Home Rule whilst at the same time declining in power in NI.

I said it after Brexit was voted on, this is the end of the DUP and they brought it on themselves. Either they can engage in good faith with the rest of the NI Elected Representatives or NI will get legislatively dragged into the 21st Century by Westminster.

circadian wrote: »
    I don't think it's that black and white. Beattie has said he doesn't agree with it in it's current format as it's being used as a football by SF and the DUP. He does support the language and has said that he wouldn't block legislation if it were to be brought to Stormont.

There's a world of difference between the DUP and UUP stance on this, UUP are at least willing to engage and work towards a resolution. The DUP simply do not want to engage, in literally anything.

The stunning irony of all this is that not so long ago the DUP would have welcomed direct rule. Now they see how far out of touch they are, even with the Tories, that they are now attempting to defend Home Rule whilst at the same time declining in power in NI.

I said it after Brexit was voted on, this is the end of the DUP and they brought it on themselves. Either they can engage in good faith with the rest of the NI Elected Representatives or NI will get legislatively dragged into the 21st Century by Westminster.

Apologies...Unionist parties HAVE been against an ILA since 2006.
    Effectively that is where we are at.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭ooter

I know very little about the DUP but seeing their meeting rooms on tv last night and the state the front door was in (in need of a good varnish or replacement) and Ian Paisley's name still on the plaque outside as leader shows how out of touch they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭What.Now

AFAIK the person that did the Irish translatation also did the Ulster Scots.

How are they meant to do both at the same time?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,988 ✭✭✭circadian

Apologies...Unionist parties HAVE been against an ILA since 2006.
    Effectively that is where we are at.

I think that statement lacks the nuance required to understand where Unionism lies on the issue, as mentioned before we cannot go down the route of associating Unionism solely with the DUP.

I feel, that stating that Unionist parties have been against an ILA since 2006 paints them all into the same corner as the DUP on the topic, when in reality, many of them are open to discussion and have disagreements with different parts of the proposed act. This is how democracy works, this in my eyes is fine.

The DUP dragging their feet, as always, is a horrible, cynical, anti-democratic practice and I sincerely hope they are punished at the polls for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,999 ✭✭✭✭josip

I said it would be extremely difficult if not impossible, which it was. You needed a translator to order some food, in a county with genuine Irish speaking areas.
    It makes a nonsense of saying Irish is the language of Ireland.

It might be extremely difficult for you, but not for a 10 year old.
    We didn't need to fly in a translator from an Roinn Oideachas, Magda simply turned to the person behind her.
    But I can appreciate that other languages can be intimidating for some, especially if they're struggling to master their only one.

• Advertisement

circadian wrote: »
    I think that statement lacks the nuance required to understand where Unionism lies on the issue, as mentioned before we cannot go down the route of associating Unionism solely with the DUP.

I feel, that stating that Unionist parties have been against an ILA since 2006 paints them all into the same corner as the DUP on the topic, when in reality, many of them are open to discussion and have disagreements with different parts of the proposed act. This is how democracy works, this in my eyes is fine.

The DUP dragging their feet, as always, is a horrible, cynical, anti-democratic practice and I sincerely hope they are punished at the polls for it.

Never said that they were all DUP.

I said, effectively all Unionist parties have been against an ILA.

Advertisement