Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arlene, Edwin, her replacement and his replacement as leader of the DUP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭tdf7187

votecounts wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/Tracey_utv/status/1405933279325392899
    I see the UDA/UVF are back issuing threats and will have input with DUP leader. who if Donaldson, have allegedly made prior threats against him.
    Under GFA, weren't these groups supposed to disband so why not have them arrested

Most people here are too busy ranting about the Shinners to pay attention to this.

That said, I personally think the threat of loyalist violence is exaggerated.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,839 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

tdf7187 wrote: »
    Most people here are too busy ranting about the Shinners to pay attention to this.

That said, I personally think the threat of loyalist violence is exaggerated.

Loyalist paramilitaries will only end their ceasefire on the say so of the security forces there and that is not going to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Why would they use up a load of Dail printer ink as well, as their NI counterparts did nearly a decade ago?

https://www.irishexaminer.com/opinion/columnists/arid-20185694.html

I always thought that was a Sinn fein speciality :D with Mr OSnodaigh using enough ink to fill a lake.

I presume his ink use was coincidental to cheap ink being sold in bluebell.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Darc19 wrote: »
    I always thought that was a Sinn fein speciality :D with Mr OSnodaigh using enough ink to fill a lake.

I presume his ink use was coincidental to cheap ink being sold in bluebell.

There was no limit on printing at the time he used the ink, FG spent €41k on printing at the same time,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

Furze99 wrote: »

I get you on the DUP and language act - you've no interest in finding commonality of purpose between all communities up north. That's fine - but don't pretend that it furthers some form of united Ireland in any shape or form.

They have nothing to worry about then.

• Advertisement

What were the Brits at backing the implementation of this culturally divisive legislation?

Divisive like any push for equality. Must suck big time to be on the wrong side of history.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

There was no limit on printing at the time he used the ink, FG spent €41k on printing at the same time,

41k printing for a party versus 50k of inks for ONE sinn Fein TD?
    It was enough ink for 3m pages.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,275 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Divisive like any push for equality.

Equality, but at what financial cost?

I presume everything that happens in the Assembly will have to be translated into Irish, with all kinds of bilingual legislation also being brought into effect and at great cost.

What % of people up there speak & converse in Irish?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭BluePlanet

I presume everything that happens in the Assembly will have to be translated into Irish, with all kinds of legislation bring bilingual going forward which would be fine if was bilingual, but us it?

It's ok Hamstershops, just consider the measure one part of harmonization with the Republic in advance of a UI.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭lurleen lumpkin

Givan being told he must resign by party officers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

I really enjoying seeing unionism self implode, roll on Scottish independence!

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

17larsson wrote: »
    Having the DUP in the Dail will be a heavy price for having a United Ireland
    Why would they use up a load of Dail printer ink as well, as their NI counterparts did nearly a decade ago?

https://www.irishexaminer.com/opinion/columnists/arid-20185694.html

So long as they don't go absolutely ape shït crazy and try to do something completely ludicrous, like introduce a state commemoration for the black and tans or something.........

Wait a minute :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,275 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

I really enjoying seeing unionism self implode, roll on Scottish independence!

Scottish independence will have a direct trading impact on us here. A new vibrant and fresh independent Scotland vying for a big slice of the action, pulling business out of Ireland and into Scotland, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Scottish independence will have a direct trading impact on us here. A new vibrant and fresh independent Scotland vying for a big slice of the action, pulling business out of Ireland and into Scotland, no?

Stifling other communities for perceived self gain never works, just look at what the loyalists have become. Competition breeds innovation.

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 14,383 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

I presume everything that happens in the Assembly will have to be translated into Irish, with all kinds of legislation bring bilingual going forward which would be fine if was bilingual, but us it?

There's quite a large and vibrant new gaeltacht in west Belfast. These lads are from it

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 5,990 ✭✭✭hometruths

retalivity wrote: »
    There's quite a large and vibrant new gaeltacht in west Belfast. These lads are from it

As far as musical talent goes, I prefer these guys from Lurgan:

The stuff of DUP nightmares.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,383 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

schmittel wrote: »
    As far as musical talent goes, I prefer these guys from Lurgan:

The stuff of DUP nightmares.

Colaiste Lurgan is in Galway. But i take your point!
    Young people, finding new and innovative ways to use a language or do things, DUP kryptonite

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 5,990 ✭✭✭hometruths

retalivity wrote: »
    Colaiste Lurgan is in Galway. But i take your point!
    Young people, finding new and innovative ways to use a language or do things, DUP kryptonite

Galway?! That is hugely disappointing. Always assumed it was Lurgan, Armagh, and have always found it uplifting to watch imagining it triggering the likes of the DUP to see confident young Irish people singing, dancing, having fun... as Gaeilge!! :mad::mad::mad::eek::eek::eek::D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

Assuming that Jeffrey Donaldson becomes the new leader, I suspect a new calm will permeate.

Whatever about his politics, he'd be on the moderate side and can very much look at the bigger picture and a longer term viewpoint.

He's a regular visitor to the south - especially when it comes to Rugby.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,176 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

It's all about the scary stuff with you guys.

Scary costs, scary neighbours scary violence etc etc etc. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

From both sides, let us remind ourselves. Not long at all since nationalist voices on both sides of the border hinted at dire consequences if border checkpoints between NI and the Republic were reinstated.

Brexit has been a complete disaster for the people up north. Caught between two sets of opposing teeth and leveraged to promote arguments.

What were the Brits at backing the implementation of this culturally divisive legislation? They must have thought that Poots could carry the day, how wrong and what a f**k up in the end. Our government seem to be playing shy, what was their role in this decision, given we are co guarantors.

Who knows how the next DUP leader will square this, seems impossible without substantial collateral commitments. Looks like direct rule, an election and see what comes out of the mix.

This is an equivalence I have heard a lot, and it needs to be put to bed — because it is a nonsense equivalence.

The warnings about Brexit as regards Northern Ireland centred on the destabilisation of the peace process in Northern Ireland and the threat of violence and discord generally. The presence of a hard border would have been destabilising for the peace process but it was clear from the earliest days of the Brexit process that none of the parties (UK, Ireland, EU) actually wanted a hard border. The British however continued on an infuriatingly frustrating and cognitively dissonant negotiating path of putting forward idea after idea that made a hard border all but inevitable.

There were means and ways for any sort of border — whether a hard border in Ireland or a sort-of-border in the Irish Sea — to be avoided. But it was the British obsession and insistence on achieving ultra-sovereignty (i.e. ditching single market and customs union etc) by which they put themselves in the position of having to a create a regulatory border in the Irish Sea. Ireland and the EU in the end accepted it because the alternative was either perpetual prevarications or the even worse and mutually destructive prospect of No Deal.

Ultimately as well, they were giving the Loyalist / Unionist heartlands precisely what they voted for — Brexit. They were warned about the dangers of Brexit, they disregarded the warnings and the “dire consequences” (as you say), and they made a stunning miscalculation which has backfired on them spectacularly. There is no equivalence — they are crying because they can’t accept that their “enemies” in Nationalism were right that Brexit was not good for the North and they didn’t listen to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,434 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Its pretty important when moaning about people not speaking a language to be able to speak one yourself surely.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭Penfailed

You're making a presumption. It's not agreed what form an Irish Language Act will take yet.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Ride, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 69,176 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Penfailed wrote: »
    You're making a presumption. It's not agreed what form an Irish Language Act will take yet.

What was agreed was not even the full suite of rights for the language it was a compromise. And activists were willing to make it, because one of the things that was retarding the progress on promoting and protecting the language was that any funding or actions that went the way of the language (both Irish and Ulster Scots) went through the Executive causing more division and rancour. ('Curry my yoghurt' opportunities)

An Act will remove all of that, as the statutory protections and funding are taken out of the debates.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,800 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Stormont agreed to a £12,000,000 refit of Belfast Opera Hall. I'm sure they can afford some translation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

Barely registers (0.2%). But that doesn't matter when the idea is to get at unionists.

There are more native Chinese speakers than Irish speakers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,362 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

The Irish language and culture is sacred and should be funded and fought for at all costs and shame on any Irish person who doesn't agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,761 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

This woman is willing to 'give her life' in the struggle...

https://twitter.com/Thelytokous/status/1406157659221417985

• Registered Users Posts: 8,211 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

More 'lie down and wait for the Unionists to be democrats' tosh. Up the yard, as they say. The DUP agreed to this long ago with no intentions of ever allowing it.

They've been caught out, let them re-organise and we'll move on.

Hear hear.they(unionists) thought they would back Nationalists into a corner by saying" well if ye want Irish on the table we want Ulster scots" when Nationalists said sure, let's have that " the dup went off scratching their heads. Fact is I for one am sick of these bigots calling the shots and who regard equality as " giving concessions " . If the dup / lcc or whoever want to play hardball I say bring it on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,682 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

so if this Irish language act is made law Will all official documents have to be translated into Ulster Scots also ??

Advertisement