Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arlene, Edwin, her replacement and his replacement as leader of the DUP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭An Claidheamh

This woman is willing to 'give her life' in the struggle...

https://twitter.com/Thelytokous/status/1406157659221417985

'Officer Hazel' out amongst the riff raff

Brits/loyalists threatening violence again

I, for one, will not be wagging the finger at republicans when they defend themselves as no doubt the BBC and Irish media are itching to do

• Registered Users Posts: 7,800 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Taoiseach out this morning stating that Westminster is right to legislate if this is delayed again.

silver2020 wrote: »
    Barely registers (0.2%). But that doesn't matter when the idea is to get at unionists.

There are more native Chinese speakers than Irish speakers.

Hmmm, because the unionists are so tolerant of other nationalities like the Chinese

If you have a problem with bilingual signs, head off in the next ferry to Wales or Scotland, ....oh wait!

silver2020 wrote: »
    Barely registers (0.2%). But that doesn't matter when the idea is to get at unionists.

There are more native Chinese speakers than Irish speakers.

Unionists agreed to this last year btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,434 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Just saw that too. Imagine that was a UK Muslim on Sky talking about killing people over cultural differences

• Advertisement

Hmmm, because the unionists are so tolerant of other nationalities like the Chinese

If you have a problem with bilingual signs, head off in the next ferry to Wales or Scotland, ....oh wait!

Many regions of the UK have more than one recognized languages but only one has the DUP

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

The shocking thing about that video is that that lady is (by the sounds of her) from a fairly well heeled area, sounds like Malone Road or Ards Peninsula material, certainly doesn't sound likely a working class Shankill road or Tigers Bay resident you typically see coming out with that kind of rhetoric.

This is what they voted for FFS.

breezy1985 wrote: »
    Just saw that too. Imagine that was a UK Muslim on Sky talking about killing people over cultural differences

Imagine it was a nationalist

FFG and media would be falling over themselves blaming SF

Let's make it a meme!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,362 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

McMurphy wrote: »
    The shocking thing about that video is that that lady is (by the sounds of her) from a fairly well heeled area, sounds like Malone Road or Ards Peninsula material, certainly doesn't sound likely a working class Shankill road or Tigers Bay resident you typically see coming out with that kind of rhetoric.

She also won't be giving her life for it. She's all riled up now but she'll be sipping a cuppa watching the riots on the news if/when they kick off.

Same ones are threatening Irish government ministers going into N I and yet there are folk on here seeking to appease this crowd.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭votecounts

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Unionists agreed to this last year btw.
    It was also agreed by the British Govt 15 years ago.

votecounts wrote: »
    It was also agreed by the British Govt 15 years ago.

Exactly. So well past the time to do it.

Exactly. So well past the time to do it.

I think the DUP/UUP usually need about 30 years to catch up to the policies of the rest of the UK

• Registered Users Posts: 18,881 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

I saw a British commentator saying on Twitter yesterday that the penny doesn't seem to have dropped with the DUP yet that the Brexiteers are English nationalists and that they actually hate Ulster unionism.

Attacking Ireland and the EU whilst refusing to say a word about Johnson shows they haven't realised this.

She also won't be giving her life for it. She's all riled up now but she'll be sipping a cuppa watching the riots on the news if/when they kick off.

Spot on poker, spot on.

She also has a major flaw in her argument, "the other side didn't get what that wanted through mayhem and fear"

Both sides embraced the peace process and worked towards mutual goals and compromises.

She seriously needs to brush up on her recent enough history.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭O'Neill

I think the DUP/UUP usually need about 30 years to catch up to the policies of the rest of the UK

Ironically what Sinn Fein are asking for (equal marriage, language act) is available in other parts of the UK. :D

O'Neill wrote: »
    Ironically what Sinn Fein are asking for (equal marriage, language act) is available in other parts of the UK. :D

Its well known and mentioned on here often that the last thing unionists want is to be just like the rest of the UK

• Registered Users Posts: 3,275 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Its pretty important when moaning about people not speaking a language to be able to speak one yourself surely.

Agreed, so I don't know why Mary Lou is so pushy towards the introduction of the legislation when she's not fluent herself.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,835 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Agreed, so I don't know why Mary Lou is so pushy towards the introduction of the legislation when she's not fluent herself.

This hits the nail on the head. Most in NI do not even speak Irish.
    Mary Lou's Irish a woman from the ROI - Rathgar is fairly weak.

If Nationalists/Republicans were really serious about the Irish language they would be speaking Irish day to day in their homes, in business etc. Yet the majority speak the language of the former colonial master as their mother tongue.

The Irish Act is purely symbolism there is no real point to it. It is just a game played over symbolism. I saw a Northern Irish member of CnG (Ciaran Mac Giolla Bhein) inadvertently reveal the real truth of the reasoning.

'It was a litmus test about building a shared future' which I took as code for moving towards a UI.

However, in saying that the DUP agreed with this symbolism and have now reneged on it. It is really odd to watch two groups fight over symbolism based on a language. But the real reasons as usual with NI are tribal and deep seated.

It is not simply about one side wanted to have a 'British identity' and one side wanting to have an 'Irish identity'.

To me from the outside looking in, NI seems to be about one side doing their damndest to look 'less British' and the other side doing their damndest to look 'less Irish'. If one side want X the other wants Y. God forbid if there is any crossover!

It is not a positive form of identity it is negative form of identity, not in anyway normal at all. It is no wonder their minds are warped up there on both sides.
    Look at who they elect, it reflects the NI society.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,176 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

The determination by belligerent Unionists and partitionists alike to make it all the Shinners fault is fascinating to watch. Especially when you see their ideologies crumbling around them. No strategic thinking because they have no self awareness.

• Advertisement

The Irish Act is purely symbolism there is no real point to it. It is just a game played over symbolism. I saw a Northern Irish member of CnG (Ciaran Mac Giolla Bhein) inadvertently reveal the real truth of the reasoning.

'It was a litmus test about building a shared future' which I took as code for moving towards a UI.

However, in saying that the DUP agreed with this symbolism and have now reneged on it. It is really odd to watch two groups fight over symbolism based on a language. But the real reasons as usual with NI are tribal and deep seated.

It is not simply about one side wanted to have a 'British identity' and one side wanting to have an 'Irish identity'.

To me from the outside looking in NI seems to be about one side doing their damndest to look 'less British' and the other side doing their damndest to look 'less Irish'. If one side want X the other wants Y. God forbid if there is any crossover!

It is not a positive form of identity it is negative form of identity, not in anyway normal at all. It is no wonder their minds are warped up there on both sides.
    Look at who they elect it reflects the NI society.

Coveney would disagree with you, Gorm. He states that the language act is symbolism and recognition of the fact that Irish people actually live in NI. I wouldn't be a blueshirt supporter but credit where it's due, this is the best description of why the Language Act and its implementation is important.

What an absolute brainfart of a post, so fuppin what if someone is fluent or not in Irish, I've no womb yet voted to repeal the 8th, I'm not gay, and am already married, yet I voted yes on the SSM referendum.

We get it, you are a bitter twisted unionist, but times are changing, you are on the wrong side of what is right.

Deal with it.

Coveney would disagree with you, Gorm. He states that the language act is symbolism and recognition of the fact that Irish people actually live in NI. I wouldn't be a blueshirt supporter but credit where it's due, this is the best description of why the Language Act and its implementation is important.

I don't agree Coveney at a all. It is not important. It is merely dressed up as important. Something for SF to pretend to be Irish about. Something for the DUP to be worried about a dilution of Britishness.

It is a terrible shame that the Irish language is being used a political football.
    If people are really proud of the language they should speak it.

'Go raibh maith agat a Ceann Comhairle' is about the limit of most in Stormont.
    And Gorgory Campbell rightly took the piss out of it. Not that I would be fan of Campbell but I could see his point. It is farcical stuff.

No doubt Ulster Scots will be given the same level of symbolism as an Irish Act after long drawn out talks. Maybe even Polish might be thrown in for the craic who knows?

The real sad part of me is the Douglas Hyde founder of CnG wanted it to be apolitical. A language used by all if they if they wish. Pearce and his cronies hijacked the Irish language and ruined CnaG. Dumped Hyde out

Now NI as usual has managed to sully and dirty the Irish Language in a similar, but underhanded way.
    The same what is done with flags, is now done with language.

When they finish moaning about this they will find something else to give out about.

It is really odd to watch two groups fight over symbolism based on a language.

Wait til you find out what they've been fighting about for a few hundred years. :rolleyes:

No doubt Ulster Scots will be given the same level of symbolism as an Irish Act after long drawn out talks.

And has been pointed out all over the thread, this example of "both sides are as bad as each other" is completely untrue. The DUP thought they could "fight back" by demanding parity for Ulster Scots because they assumed that the "others" are only interested in obstruction and denying things to everyone. But that's not what happened because, as in most cases (and I say this as someone who has never voted for SF and cringe that my constituency had Gerry parachuted in for a few years) the Nationalist/Republican "side" are more about getting things for people than denying things to people.

What an absolute brainfart of a post, so fuppin what if someone is fluent or not in Irish, I've no womb yet voted to repeal the 8th, I'm not gay, and am already married, yet I voted yes on the SSM referendum.

We get it, you are a bitter twisted unionist, but times are changing, you are on the wrong side of what is right.

Deal with it.

The above poster was correct and it clearly has hit a nerve. Whether the poster is a 'twisted Unionist' or not as you say.

Mary Lou a woman born and educated in the ROI (she calls it 'this state') in a free Ireland which declared a Republic in the 1948 Act and had been the Free State 23 years prior.

Yet Ireland still has not managed to get a the majority of its populace to speak the Irish language at any high fluent level. There is only about 1-2% that do so.

When you add in the fact that Mary Lou styles herself as a proud Republican the fact her Irish is so weak is even more perplexing. And does not do much for the image she is trying to portray. Irishness, Irish heritage, Republicanism, Gaels and so on.

What is Mary Lou's excuse?
    Michael Martin has miles better Irish than she does for example. Really natural nice flow.

Looking at some SF who grew up in Republican families in NI:

Michelle O Neill virtually no Irish, inrocally maybe on a par with Gregory Campbell - 'Curry ma Yogurt a Canna Coca Coyler'

Gerry Adams another 'proud Republican' has really shaky Irish. At times he even uses full English sentences!

The real irony is that the phrase 'Tiocfaidh ár lá' is grammatically incorrect Irish based on an English idiom. Invented by clowns during the troubles. Yet many of these clowns think/pretend an Irish act is going to magically make their Irish better?

It is a farce let's call a spade a spade.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭votecounts

You're asking yourself the wrong question, why are unionists so opposed to a language act they agreed to legislate for.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,275 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Deal with it.

I don't do brainfarts and neither am I a bitter twisted unionist, because I'm not a Unionist ... but I do recognise what Sinn Fein is doing with the Irish language by using it as a weapon to get their way. The Irish language is too precious and valuable to be used as a bargaining chip in the long running game of poker with the DUP (who couldn't give two hoots about it).

The Irish language will always be be with us both North & South, and it won't die out, but neither will it ever be on an equal pegging with English (as a spoken language). Protect it at all costs, throw money at it and preserve it, but don't use it a s bargaining chip.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,021 ✭✭✭Christy42

If Nationalists/Republicans were really serious about the Irish language they would be speaking Irish day to day in their homes, in business etc. Yet the majority speak the language of the former colonial master as their mother tongue.

To me from the outside looking in, NI seems to be about one side doing their damndest to look 'less British' and the other side doing their damndest to look 'less Irish'. If one side want X the other wants Y. God forbid if there is any crossover!

Look at who they elect, it reflects the NI society.

I mean if Unionists were serious about not wanting the partition they would be fighting for less division between NI but they are normally fighting for more divisions. It is a silly argument. I supported marriage equality and I didn't marry another man when it became law. It is just support for those that did want to.

An Irish act makes sense. They are in Ireland (it is in the name). This does not mean anyone should be forced to speak it. And they will still speak English because it is useful. That does not mean they can't also support the Irish language.

• Advertisement

The above poster was correct and it clearly has hit a nerve. Whether the poster is a 'twisted Unionist' or not as you say.

Mary Lou a woman born and educated in the ROI (she calls it 'this state') in a free Ireland which declared a Republic in the 1948 Act and had been the Free State 23 years prior.

Yet Ireland still has not managed to get a the majority of its populace to speak the Irish language at any high fluent level. There is only about 1-2% that do so.

When you add in the fact that Mary Lou styles herself as a proud Republican the fact her Irish is so weak is even more perplexing. And does not do much for the image she is trying to portray. Irishness, Irish heritage, Republicanism, Gaels and so on.

What is Mary Lou's excuse?
    Michael Martin has miles better Irish than she does for example. Really natural nice flow.

Looking at some SF who grew up in Republican families in NI:

Michelle O Neill virtually no Irish, inrocally maybe on a par with Gregory Campbell - 'Curry ma Yogurt a Canna Coca Coyler'

Gerry Adams another 'proud Republican' has really shaky Irish. At times he even uses full English sentences!

The real irony is that the phrase 'Tiocfaidh ár lá' is grammatically incorrect Irish based on an English idiom. Invented by clowns during the troubles. Yet many of these clowns think/pretend an Irish act is going to magically make their Irish better?

It is a farce let's call a spade a spade.

As a people, we Irish are probably the worst when it comes to various languages and their translation, hence the requirement for most of our multi nationals to hire in native speakers from abroad.

This flaw still doesn't mean that a language and culture which a sizeable amount of a population claim to belong to, should be denied by another portion of the population who to quote Willie McCrea from a few years back, should be burnt.

Advertisement