Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arlene, Edwin, her replacement and his replacement as leader of the DUP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭Jizique

Strazdas wrote: »
    According to that article, Donaldson intends resigning as a Westminster MP and becoming First Minister at Stormont himself. Looks like he doesn't like Givan though and regards him as a Poots man.

How can Donaldson be acceptable to the paramilitaries though? He would never be considered a hard man and unlike many others, I doubt he has a balaclava.
    Even his past as a UUP member must count against him with the bigot wing of the party - is he even a free Presbyterian?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,883 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

breezy1985 wrote: »
    Can you be FM and not an MLA ?

I'm assuming not, because you see the FM speaking in the Assembly all the time.

Jizique wrote: »
    How can Donaldson be acceptable to the paramilitaries though? He would never be considered a hard man and unlike many others, I doubt he has a balaclava.
    Even his past as a UUP member must count against him with the bigot wing of the party - is he even a free Presbyterian?

He's clearly from the 'moderate' wing. I'm guessing even the DUP membership realise the 'loony' wing is a busted flush at the moment and trying to put Poots Mark 2 in would just be another total fiasco.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,434 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

I'm assuming not, because you see the FM speaking in the Assembly all the time.

Yes but all former Fms were MLAs were they not so Donaldson would need an election first ?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,835 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

That is truly offensive - the Irish language should not ever be considered a part of republicanism

Well a fluent Donegal speaker told me that is the very reason he does not wear the fainne. In reference to my previous post regarding Irish as official language of the EU it was used nine times by ministers in the EU in the then SIX YEARS after it became an official language of the EU. (2013 article)

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/irish-spoken-nine-times-at-eu-meetings-1.955884?mode=amp

Sadly the Irish language was politicised starting with Pearse and his cronies, sidelining the more enlightened in CnaG and dumping out Hyde. It is all fact Republicanism hijacked the tricolour and the Irish language. And their motives are not for the benefits of the language itself in practical terms. Merely a political agenda. And the DUP respond with a political agenda of their own. Unlike many less enlightened on this thread, I believe like Hyde did that the Irish language should not be hijacked by those with ulterior motives. Many who claim to want the Irish language act rarely, don’t, or barely speak it.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Advertisement

Yes but all former Fms were MLAs were they not so Donaldson would need an election first ?

Yes, he would have to be elected as an MLA by the public....he can't just decide to become one.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,800 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Well a fluent Donegal speaker told me that is the very reason he does not wear the fainne. In reference to my previous post regarding Irish as official language of the EU it was used nine times by ministers in the EU in the then SIX YEARS after it became an official language of the EU. (2013 article)

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/irish-spoken-nine-times-at-eu-meetings-1.955884?mode=amp

Sadly the Irish language was politicised starting with Pearse and his cronies, sidelining the more enlightened in CnaG and dumping out Hyde. It is all fact Republicanism hijacked the tricolour and the Irish language. And their motives are not for the benefits of the language itself in practical terms. Merely a political agenda. And the DUP respond with a political agenda of their own. Unlike many less enlightened on this thread, I believe like Hyde did that the Irish language should not be hijacked by those with ulterior motives. Many who claim to want the Irish language act rarely, don’t, or barely speak it.

Do you not believe there should be equality of language as akin to Welsh and Scot Gaelic in mainland Britain?

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Do you not believe there should be equality of language as akin to Welsh and Scot Gaelic in mainland Britain?

As soon as his rant turns to Pearse and his cronies you know he is a thinly disguised DUP man and there is no point. Never mind his survey of one lad from Donegal who won't wear a badge that a lot of Irish speakers don't bother with just cause they don't bother

• Registered Users Posts: 18,835 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

As I said some people are just not good at picking up languages by book. Ide love to speak both Irish and French but jut like my maths I cant get my head round it

You dont just click your fingers and be good at it and opposing the Irish language act like you do is certainly not going to help the people who want to try learn

Very, very weak excuse I am sorry. You can go to pop up Gaeltacht’s ciorcal comhra’s etc. Don’t even have to open a book the gas thing is some ‘look at me republicans’ on this thread such as Francie Brady and Bambi would never darken the door of a PUP or CC. France Brady is a product of a brainwashed border area and Bambi’s sense of Irishness is hanging on to Francie Brady’s coat tails. Barely a fada between those two proud flag waving republicans. Barstoolers. A republican stereotype for the 21st century online world.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭political analyst

Being acceptable to paramilitaries is Sinn Féin's thing. The DUP never has been the political wing of a paramilitary organisation.

• Advertisement

Very, very weak excuse I am sorry. You can go to pop up Gaeltacht’s ciorcal comhra’s etc. Don’t even have to open a book the gas thing is some ‘look at me republicans’ on this thread such as Francie Brady and Bambi would never darken the door of a PUP or CC. France Brady is a product of a brainwashed border area and Bambi’s sense of Irishness is hanging on to Francie Brady’s coat tails. Barely a fada between those two proud flag waving republicans. Barstoolers. A republican stereotype for the 21st century online world.

They are under no obligation to be republicans and Irish speakers. I am under no obligation to speak Irish just because I support legislation that will help others who do.

You are using a sad flimsy reasoning for what really is just about you being a DUPper

• Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭political analyst

Who is Bambi?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Being acceptable to paramilitaries is Sinn Féin's thing. The DUP never has been the political wing of a paramilitary organisation.

Lol....

1445.jpg

1159.jpg

Troubled past: the paramilitary connection that still haunts the DUP

Who is Bambi?

I wouldn't be surprised to hear the DUP hate Bambi. To much singing or dancing or something like that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

Yes and your friend in Donegal is obviously also fluent in nonsense.

In any case, aside from the fact that we have established that you know as much about the Irish language in the North as you do about constructing a lunar landing module or the sociology of ancient Mesopotamia (i.e. nothing), we can move on to the fact that your posts on here make absolutely no logical sense whatsoever.

Having treated us to A History of The Irish Language According to My Da / My Donegal Friend / A Dream I Had One Night — you then put forward opinions that logically culminate in a conclusion that is so gloriously intractable that it’s almost beautiful. Essentially, any attempts to try preserve or safeguard the Irish language must invariably be interpreted as an exercise conforming to the politicisation of the language (because something something Padraig Pearse something something Republican Illuminati). So the solution in your world view is — take no action to preserve the Irish language and this will achieve the great goal of de-politicising the language and sure, if the language disappears off the face of the earth, then all the better right?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,770 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Republicans are not obliged to be good at languages. I am a supporter of the bilingual situation in Ireland despite being useless at the language mostly due to being feckless in school.

Adams or anyone else being bad at Irish is no reason not to protect it and encourage it

Adams has a few stock phrases that he would have used to antagonise the security forces back in the day.

He is in no way proficient or wants to be I'd say for that matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭UDAWINNER

Yes, he would have to be elected as an MLA by the public....he can't just decide to become one.
    I think he can be co-opted on to a MLA seat, possibly take Arlene's seat

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭UDAWINNER

McMurphy wrote: »

don't forget willy mcrea and billy "the rat" wright

• Registered Users Posts: 69,176 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Adams has a few stock phrases that he would have used to antagonise the security forces back in the day.

That's rubbish.
    I don't know what level he can speak it to, but watching his speeches/interactions over the years it is clear he has more than 'a few stock phrases'.

That's rubbish.
    I don't know what level he can speak it to, but watching his speeches/interactions over the years it is clear he has more than 'a few stock phrases'.

Not fluent enough to have a debate in Irish if I recall the 2016 elections. Wasn't the TG4 leaders debate cancelled due to his and Joan Burton's poor level of Irish.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Not the case. If a DUP MLA resigns their seat then he can be co-opted in their place.

It's what happened to Martina Anderson of SF when her seat in Europe was abolished. Raymond McCarthy resigned and she was co-opted in his place.

Exact same thing can happen here. If a DUP MLA resigns their seat then Donaldson is co-opted.

Not fluent enough to have a debate in Irish if I recall the 2016 elections. Wasn't the TG4 leaders debate cancelled due to his and Joan Burton's poor level of Irish.

Doesn't mean he has only a few stock phrases.

Why it matters anyhow...Irish is booming in parts of the north and here. The Gael Scoil movement is going to dramatically change the number of speakers.

An Act will support and foster that.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,375 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Múnlaí cainte.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

So what?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,711 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

I'm fairly sure he was wearing a fainne in that recent doc with Michael portillo

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Kneel aon fowyb agumsa on tyanga nawshunta a louwart a vic. Rudd ella, neel aon gaw dum veh eeg see ar stole, tishk nock hogan may dyuck er cur er bih :D

Well a fluent Donegal speaker told me that is the very reason he does not wear the fainne.

Well, this fluent Donegal speaker doesn't wear a fáinne, either.
    For the very simple reason that I live in the Gaeltacht, where we speak "as Gaeilge" all the time. In fact, it's assumed that locals speak Irish - therefore, we don't actually need to wear a fáinne. It has absolutely nothing to do with either Republicanism, or lack of respect for our native language....

Maybe your Donegal friend should have put his brain into gear before he put his mouth into action - or maybe he was telling you what he thought you wanted to hear, I've no idea. But I can absolutely assure you that your friend is not typical of fluent Irish speakers in Donegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

For the very simple reason that I live in the Gaeltacht, where we speak "as Gaeilge" all the time. In fact, it's assumed that locals speak Irish - therefore, we don't actually need to wear a fáinne. It has absolutely nothing to do with either Republicanism, or lack of respect for our native language....

Maybe your Donegal friend should have put his brain into gear before he put his mouth into action - or maybe he was telling you what he thought you wanted to hear, I've no idea. But I can absolutely assure you that your friend is not typical of fluent Irish speakers in Donegal.

+1

Fantastic memories of summers up in the Dunlewey and Rannafast colleges in the schooldays. Really looking forward to getting up there again and being surrounded by the more familiar sound of the Cad é mar atá tú‘s.

Particularly miss the Republican Re-Education Hypnotism Seminars up there and arms training.*

*that would be a joke Gormdubhgorm

Wish I had 'Friends' who are always very obliging and turn up to confirm my theories. :)

• Advertisement

Wish I had 'Friends' who are always very obliging and turn up to confirm my theories. :)

:D:D:D

Advertisement