Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arlene, Edwin, her replacement and his replacement as leader of the DUP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,761 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

https://twitter.com/rtetwip/status/1406582901593022476

Well said Leo. It will always be the wrong time for some.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

FG must be worried about SF poll numbers :D

https://twitter.com/rtetwip/status/1406582901593022476

Well said Leo. It will always be the wrong time for some.

It's only the right time now for FG because they're getting hammered by SF in the polls and the DUP have turned against them! Always the Populist.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,176 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Pray tell, what's the problem so, with Poots being hauled in over agreeing to it?
    Do tell.

You can fool some of the people....etc etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,839 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

I remember reading "The Last Battle" by CS Lewis, the last Narnia book.

At the end this group of Dwarves keep shouting the Dwarfs are for the Dwarfs, cursing both sides outside and refuse to leave the shi7 filled stable.

Unionism despises it's enemies but has a special rancid attitude to those who would help it.

They make Left wing political parties seem look coherent and willing to make do with political reality, all it together, no splits on the finest detail.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,840 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

SF are giving the DUP plenty of rope and a lot less wriggle room.
    Sinn Féin has said it will have "no demands" for facilitating the appointment of a new First Minister, other than a commitment to agreements already made.
    "We will have no demands, other than that people are faithful to commitments and agreements that have been made.

"So 15 months ago we all restored devolution on the basis that the commitments made in St Andrews 15 years ago, that they will be finally realised in legislation.

"That's where all the parties bar the DUP are at, it's not just Sinn Fein saying this. That's where I believe certainly the vast majority of people in the public are.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

So are the DUP the political wing of the LCC and follow whatever line the LCC instruct?

Interesting that only a few weeks ago the LCC were apparently threatening Donaldson and now seem to be interviewing him...

https://twitter.com/BelfastUnionist/status/1406868932980584448?s=19

downcow wrote: »
    Unionists do not want to block anything. You make a good analogy. Every unionist would be delighted if Irish Culture and language got exactly the same support and rights as Ulster-scots / Ulster-British culture

Every unionist?

Clearly not.... otherwise Acht na Gaeilge would have been enacted years ago, and all the hatred currently being spewed by some Unionists/Loyalists quite simply wouldn't be an issue...

The hypocrisy is astonishing. The DUP cried long and hard when Boris Johnson broke his word on an Irish sea border (which the dogs in the street knew was going to happen), but when the DUP renege on the St Andrews agreement, and again on the agreement they themselves signed up to, in order to restore Stormont - it's the fault of those awful Catholics, and the Irish Government, and those dreadful upstart Irish speakers. I mean, how dare they actually be quite willing to facilitate Ulster Scots, as well as the Irish language?:eek:

You couldn't make it up, you really couldn't....

Any Unionists who want to speak Irish are quite welcome to do so. For those that don't - well, no-one is going to force them to speak it.

So, what's the big deal? What is the mentality behind this attempt to deny other people their language, culture, and identity?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭briany

So, what's the big deal? What is the mentality behind this attempt to deny other people their language, culture, and identity?

To the likes of Donaldson and Wilson, the Irish language is nothing more than the language IRA spokesmen occasionally used, and they'll be damned if they're going to let it make any headway into the cultural life and political life of Northern Ireland. When they agreed to passing the ILA 15 years ago, they were lying. It's exactly the same as how the British government committed to a backstop in order to progress trade talks, without any actual intention of following through.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭AdrianG08

Big Daniel O'Donnell head on him

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,840 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Wouldn't it be nice if Sammy threw his hat into the ring for the laugh.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Fully expect Jeffrey wins and one of either Givan or Poots resign their seats entirely - which will allow Donaldson to be co-opted to take over as FM.

I just saw this - fair play to the owner...

https://twitter.com/donaloflynn/status/1405678066182017026

• Registered Users Posts: 11,626 ✭✭✭✭downcow

Every unionist?

Clearly not.... otherwise Acht na Gaeilge would have been enacted years ago, and all the hatred currently being spewed by some Unionists/Loyalists quite simply wouldn't be an issue...

The hypocrisy is astonishing. The DUP cried long and hard when Boris Johnson broke his word on an Irish sea border (which the dogs in the street knew was going to happen), but when the DUP renege on the St Andrews agreement, and again on the agreement they themselves signed up to, in order to restore Stormont - it's the fault of those awful Catholics, and the Irish Government, and those dreadful upstart Irish speakers. I mean, how dare they actually be quite willing to facilitate Ulster Scots, as well as the Irish language?:eek:

You couldn't make it up, you really couldn't....

Any Unionists who want to speak Irish are quite welcome to do so. For those that don't - well, no-one is going to force them to speak it.

Let me swap ‘unionist’ for ‘unionist or nationalist’. I have no problem with that

“ Any Unionists or nationalists who want to speak Irish are quite welcome to do so. For those that don't - well, no-one is going to force them to speak it.
    So, what's the big deal? What is the mentality behind this attempt to deny other people their language, culture, and identity?”

Let me swap ‘unionist’ for ‘unionist or nationalist’. I have no problem with that

“ Any Unionists or nationalists who want to speak Irish are quite welcome to do so. For those that don't - well, no-one is going to force them to speak it.
    So, what's the big deal? What is the mentality behind this attempt to deny other people their language, culture, and identity?”
    Not sure what kind of point youre trying to make here.

Is Unionism finally facing up to what everyone else has known for a long time?

https://twitter.com/SJAMcBride/status/1407036600958267396

briany wrote: »
    To the likes of Donaldson and Wilson, the Irish language is nothing more than the language IRA spokesmen occasionally used, and they'll be damned if they're going to let it make any headway into the cultural life and political life of Northern Ireland. When they agreed to passing the ILA 15 years ago, they were lying. It's exactly the same as how the British government committed to a backstop in order to progress trade talks, without any actual intention of following through.

They certainly give that impression!

Explain?

• Registered Users Posts: 41,080 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Was the downfall of Poots planned all along by Donaldsons camp?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭lurleen lumpkin

Annasopra wrote: »
    Donaldsons camp

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Annasopra wrote: »
    Was the downfall of Poots planned all along by Donaldsons camp?

"“When you play the game of thrones, you win or you die. There is no middle ground." Sir Jeffrey

• Registered Users Posts: 11,626 ✭✭✭✭downcow

They certainly give that impression!

Explain?

I am staying the obvious. Anyone is free to learn Irish or join a loyalist band. I don’t think anyone is blocking either

• Registered Users Posts: 7,711 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

I am staying the obvious. Anyone is free to learn Irish or join a loyalist band. I don’t think anyone is blocking either

The orange order won't let you join if you are a catholic

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Explain?

You Fenians (and rotten Prods) can learn your leprechaun language all you want just don't expect us hard-nosed unionists to allow it gain official protection in our wee colony country.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Here we go again comparing the Irish language with loyalist triumphalism.

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭AdrianG08

Donaldson is a smart man. My guess is he will have one crack at uniting all Unionists, not just DUP voters and hope it will sway UK government into a rethink (which it won't).

Then he knows he will have to attempt to isolate hard line unionists from the rest, make them a real fringe minority, whilst recognising unionists need to co-exist with nationalists and minority groups in northern Ireland. Basically win back that Alliance vote by making unionism more progressive.

He's probably told Sammy Wilson and the like thats it's something they will have to do to continue being paid. These guys know the dark age stuff must be binned.

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭batman75

It seems odd that Poots ousted Foster without a proper plan to govern once his coup had succeeded. Doubly odd he nominated someone else to be FM.
    History won’t record Foster’s time as FM as being successful. Poots will be a footnote in history.
    Donaldson needs to unite the party. That may entail keeping Poots as agri minister. Apparently Poots lack of acknowledgement of Donaldson in his victory speech was the start of the end for Poots. Poots was felt to have lacked grace.
    If the Union with the UK is the raisin d’etre for the party can it function with a purpose in a UI?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,883 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

batman75 wrote: »
    It seems odd that Poots ousted Foster without a proper plan to govern once his coup had succeeded. Doubly odd he nominated someone else to be FM.
    History won’t record Foster’s time as FM as being successful. Poots will be a footnote in history.
    Donaldson needs to unite the party. That may entail keeping Poots as agri minister. Apparently Poots lack of acknowledgement of Donaldson in his victory speech was the start of the end for Poots. Poots was felt to have lacked grace.
    If the Union with the UK is the raisin d’etre for the party can it function with a purpose in a UI?

Poots was a very strange choice as leader. He's a poor speaker, doesn't inspire confidence and doesn't even seem the sharpest knife in the drawer. It looks like even some of those who voted for him were thinking in the last week or so 'what the hell have we just done?'.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,558 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

The DUP has the same basic problem as US Republicans. The easy thing to do is to pander to loonies within the base but that inevitably alienates most voters, leading to a diminishing echo chamber of extremism. If Donaldson becomes leader, he’ll have to purge the party of the crazies to make Unionism sound like an option for normal people. Better to split the party than the vote the party depends on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,883 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Ardillaun wrote: »
    The DUP has the same basic problem as US Republicans. The easy thing to do is to pander to loonies within the base but that inevitably alienates most voters, leading to a diminishing echo chamber of extremism. If Donaldson becomes leader, he’ll have to purge the party of the crazies to make Unionism sound like an option for normal people. Better to split the party than the vote the party depends on.

For sure, but that would mean a very big split. Probably half the party membership are of the looney, reactionary variety.

Advertisement